News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to Connect HDMI to non-HDMI TV??

Started by Old Moparz, January 29, 2012, 10:42:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Moparz

Here's the situation. I'm considering signing up to a service like Netflix to download movies instead of renting discs through the mail, but before I actually do this, I'm first trying to get set up with getting the movie to the TV with a wireless connection. I already have a wireless router that the laptop can pick up the signal from, & my daughter's ipod & Nintendo does as well.

I bought a streaming player that was on sale, a Netgear NeoTV NTV200 that has the HDMI port. The problem I just discovered though, is that neither of the two TV's I can connect to, have the HDMI ports.

My stereo/theater receiver has the input to plug the cable into, but how do I get the signal to the TV without buying a new TV that has the HDMI port?

The projection TV I have is about 10 years old & has a DVI port, but this is only for the video part of the signal. I'd still need to get the sound & have no idea what to do. The other TV is even older & only has RCA ports.

I looked at Bluray players too, but only because some of them can stream signals. I have no interest in getting into another disc format like Bluray, but if I can connect a Bluray player to the TV without a HDMI port & this is my only option to get a streaming signal to a TV without buying another TV, then I may return the Netgear player & get one.

Does anyone know if Bluray players can be connected to a TV without HDMI cables?

Buying a new TV is not an option right now for a combination of reasons. Any suggestions would be appreciated, so thanks.   :cheers:

I've really learned to hate connecting anything electronic manufactured after 1984.   :lol:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

DC_1

For someone who always seems to google a pic for any topic I am surprised you haven't done so for this problem

Old Moparz

Quote from: DC_1(formerly Sydmoe) on January 29, 2012, 11:13:53 AM
For someone who always seems to google a pic for any topic I am surprised you haven't done so for this problem

http://www.nrbrasil.com.br/loja/product_images/r/125/HDMI_3RCA__75512_zoom.jpg

Good one.   :nana:    :lol:

Having looked at everything on the wall hanging up in Radio Shack & reading a few "how to" websites, I didn't think a cable like that would exist, or work. I could be wrong, but I thought the concept behind the use of HDMI was for a HD digital signal only, not analog like the RCA plug ends?
               Bob                

resq302

Bob,

Just so you know, we just got Netflix and Im amazed at how little is actually available to stream right to your TV vs what is available on the dvd/blueray.  Seems like they still prefer the mail route vs. the wireless device.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Old Moparz

Quote from: resq302 on January 29, 2012, 11:37:29 AM
Bob,

Just so you know, we just got Netflix and Im amazed at how little is actually available to stream right to your TV vs what is available on the dvd/blueray.  Seems like they still prefer the mail route vs. the wireless device.

Thanks for the heads up.  :cheers:

I still need to figure out an inexpensive way to convert the signal. The cable that DC_1(formerly Sydmoe) posted is basically the conversion I need, but I doubt something that simple will actually work. I'm almost positive I still need to convert the signal. It did lead me to find something like this.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-1080P-RCA-Component-Adapter-HD-Converter-Cable-/130571821576?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e66afe208

I hate adding more & more crap to an already cryptic maze of wiring, but I suppose another $35 isn't too bad if I have to.
               Bob                

DC_1

jaime

Since you can't buy a TV so there is a one good option for you that you can try a HDMI spliter from http://bestproducts-4u.com/best-wireless-hdmi/ here. As far as i know its a good option for you to use a HDMI from there .
:2thumbs: Good luck .

sunfire69

Well....because of the way our TVs are wired at work we have to do the same thing go from HDMI to RCA...they are RF modulator converters they sell them a Wal-Mart for about $30 but you can get them on line for about $20. We tried one and it works.... but the reason for the conversion is because Dish took the old boxes with RCAs and replaced them with HDMI only boxes so they are bringing us 5 converters ....so that converter should work for you