News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carter AVS tag

Started by Voss, January 30, 2012, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voss

I have a general question about Carter AVS carbs. The ID and date code is stamped at the base, but what info could/should be found on the small metallic tag?

Thanks!

hemigeno

Below is a picture from an original carb tag.  On it will be stamped the Carter ID number (in this instance, 4617SA - with the "A" suffix indicating a post-introduction version of that particular carburetor), the date code (2081 indicates the 208th day of 1971, as this carburetor was most definitely not installed at the assembly line), and the last two digits of the Chrysler Part Number ("78" indicates 2946578, found in both the parts book and on the Broadcast Sheet as well).

That's the extent of the information found on a Carter tag, although the tags themselves are anodized in a particular color to aid in identifying the application.  Based on what I've seen, the same colors were used over multiple model years for similar applications... i.e. brown = 440, 4-speed non-A/C (of course);  Red = 426 Hemi Manual Rear;  Blue = 426 Hemi Auto Rear;  Black = 426 Hemi Front, etc. etc.

:cheers:

Dans 68

FYI here is the tag on a 4426S carb ('68 4-bbl 4-speed).

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Voss

hemigeno, Dans 68: Many thanks for the pictures and detailed answer, exactly the info I was looking for. Thing is, I'm trying to hunt down a correct carb for the '68 R/T Charger I recently bought so I'm doing my homework (with your help) on the details here.  :cheers:

Just to be super-clear: Carter did stamp the ID and date code on the carb base as well? For example 4426S D8. Right?

By the way, was the metallic tag attached by Chrysler or Carter?

Thanks!

Dans 68

Yes, the date code and model number were stamped on the base of the carb. See the attached photo.

And I believe that the tags were all Carter.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Voss

Having an engine assembly date of March 11 '68, it would be right to have a Dec 67 carb? Or would it be expected to have a later date code like Jan or Feb '68?

John_Kunkel

I've been told that only original factory assembly line carbs got the tags and some weren't stamped on the base, parts room replacements in a box had no tags and were stamped on the base only.   :icon_smile_question: :shruggy:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Dans 68

Interesting comment, John. Was it a trusted source?

Quote from: Voss on January 30, 2012, 06:11:24 PM
Having an engine assembly date of March 11 '68, it would be right to have a Dec 67 carb? Or would it be expected to have a later date code like Jan or Feb '68?

Dec 67 would work, as would a Jan or Feb 68 carb. There really is/was nothing in any paperwork to say different.  :Twocents:

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Dans 68 on January 31, 2012, 06:18:01 PM

I think it was E-booger.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Dans 68

Quote from: John_Kunkel on February 01, 2012, 01:11:44 PM
Quote from: Dans 68 on January 31, 2012, 06:18:01 PM

I think it was E-booger.

:scratchchin:  I don't understand/follow your meaning. But "E-booger" sounds somewhat familiar....

Dan

maxwellwedge

Rick Ehrenberg at Mopar Action....

Dans 68

Voss

Still hunting a 4429 Carter for my -68. Recently one came up on eBay, but I was not able to figure out the tag. The carb base was stamped B8 4429S, but the date code on the tag was not the usual 4 digit. And the 38 stamp was in the same font as the other stampings, usually that two digits are much larger than the other stampings.

Could it be that Carter used different styles on the stampings (like day 59 = 28 Feb 1968)? What do you guys here make out of it?

hemigeno

Even a few over-the-counter carbs that I've seen still had the original assembly-line code in the lower right corner.  I have photos somewhere of a 1973-dated AVS from the 1969 model year, and its large-font code was still the same.  I don't know what that tag's codes mean, but I don't think it was an assembly-line format at all.  Maybe Carter also produced them for generic parts store sales??   :shruggy: 

What does that particular carb's stamping on the base show?  Also, is your 4429 Carter application a 440 automatic without A/C (I have a reason for asking)? 

Voss

Quote from: hemigeno on July 25, 2012, 11:42:31 AM
Even a few over-the-counter carbs that I've seen still had the original assembly-line code in the lower right corner.  I have photos somewhere of a 1973-dated AVS from the 1969 model year, and its large-font code was still the same.  I don't know what that tag's codes mean, but I don't think it was an assembly-line format at all.  Maybe Carter also produced them for generic parts store sales??   :shruggy:  

What does that particular carb's stamping on the base show?  Also, is your 4429 Carter application a 440 automatic without A/C (I have a reason for asking)?  

My application is a 440 auto w/o AC yes. The previous owner installed a Edelbrock 1406. That carb has to go since I want original.

The carb on eBay last week with the mysterious tag had B8 4429S stamped on the base. So far so good. And the "38" on the tag is also ok (the last two digits of the Chrysler p/n), except for the font size. The date code style however is strange, should have been 4 digits I think (although day 59 is Feb 28 which matches the B8 stamping on the base). And the overall apperance of the tag does not look quite "stock".

hemigeno

The reason I wanted to confirm the application is the color of the tag.  A silver or clear anodized aluminum color such as on that tag is what I've seen on original 440/auto cars without air, even in later model years.  I've thought for some time that Chrysler's color coding of the tags remained consistent for at least several years in a row (not sure how many years, though), and your info is yet another example.

As for that particular tag, I still think it's an oddball.  Personally, I would not display it since it creates more questions than anything.  Having a useable date code on the base is more important IMHO.  To be honest, a carb made in very late February would have little chance of making it on an engine assembled less than two weeks later (3/11/68).  Early Feb., maybe... so perhaps that's another reason not to use the tag.

There are sources for reproduction carburetor tags if you really wanted to go that route.  The fact that your application is clear aluminum in color means you won't have to worry about trying to create the right coloration effect, and I think the guy who does the tags has all the right characters you would need.  Just a suggestion.