News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need Help Wireing My Electric Choke

Started by kycarnut, March 31, 2009, 10:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kycarnut

This may seem like a silly question  :lol: to some of you but I rather ask it then take a chance on melting down my car :flame:. I just put an Edelbrock 1406 carb on my 68 and I need to wire the electric choke. Does anyone know of a safe wire that is only hot when the key is on (not alt. or coil per instructions)to wire it to? :yesnod: Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Man Learns by Example JOHN 3:16.
You Only Go Around Once so Make It Count.
Lead, Follow, or Get Out of My Way.

68 RT

John_Kunkel

Yep, the double blue wire (not the blue/brown) on the ballast is keyed 12V.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

dpm68

Matthan

macca3441

Here's a pic of mine.
Full 12v ignition is on the terminal with the single blue wire, NOT the blue/brown!
Hope this helps,

Wade

Matthan

John_Kunkel

If you prefer not to splice, there are forked spade terminals that allow two spade connectors to attach to a single spade on the ballast.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Matthan

OK..I am new at this which one of theses wires do I slice into? A or B?

Thanks

elacruze

If you live someplace where you actually need the choke-say north of Florida-you should consider the GM method and run the circuit from the ballast through a 2-wire oil pressure switch, which won't allow the choke to pull off unless the engine is running. Plenty of people have sat with the key on but not started while they adjust mirrors and seat belts, then have no choke when they turn the key.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

FLG

Just run no choke, never had an issue even the dead of winter in NY. Takes a bit of feathering the throttle during startup, once its running for a bit you dont have to touch it.

XH29N0G

I hope I did not miss this.  A multimeter will be invaluable for other things.  I used one to find the right wires for my installation and recommend looking into getting one or borrowing one.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Dino

Quote from: Matthan on July 25, 2012, 08:36:28 AM
OK..I am new at this which one of theses wires do I slice into? A or B?

Thanks

A
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.