News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lifter tick

Started by 1BAD68, July 22, 2012, 08:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

In my quest to find out what is causing my intermittent lifter ticking I pulled the lifters from the left side of my 318 using a magnet.
Will a ticking lifter show wear on it somewhere? Looking at the tops of them, I don't see any sign of wear.
I did notice that cylinder #3 exhaust valve lifter is different than the other's but shows no unusual wear.
Could this lifter be making all the noise?

c00nhunterjoe

The 1 lifter may be bleeding off oil and collapsing due to the oil ring being in a different location.

charger Downunder

Since you have gone this far just replace them all including the other side.
[/quote]

Tom Q

what kind of oil are you using??
yes the oil you use does make a real difference

1BAD68

I use Brad Penn 20/50 and the tick would only happen after smashing the pedal and only for a minute then it would go away.
The last oil change a couple weeks ago, I tried Valvoline VR1 20/50 and the ticking started to be all the time so I figured I would take a look.
Kind of looking for a band aid at this point until summer's over, then the engine is coming out for some new gaskets, heads and a cam/lifter kit.
Found a Mopar performance p3614321 lifter from Jegs so I ordered one.

471_Magnum

That one lifter could definitely be an issue. It can't be getting much oil.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

1BAD68

Quote from: 471_Magnum on July 23, 2012, 05:11:15 PM
That one lifter could definitely be an issue. It can't be getting much oil.

This statement gave me a brainstorm. So I went and drilled the oil hole in the lifter a couple sizes bigger than it was (not easy due to the angle and not wanting to scratch the sides of the lifter)
Then I installed in car and took it out for a 45 minute run. Went through all rpm's driving easy and hammering.
Result = no more ticking
:2thumbs: