News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Summit racing "paint" anyone use it ?

Started by Highbanked Hauler, February 15, 2016, 08:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

ANyone know about Summit paint products ?  Obviously a lot less expensive than Dupont or PPG but is it a case of you get what you pay for ? I am going to do my 04 PT because the clear  and some color is burning off of it. Paying $100 a quart for Dupont clear don't get it.  Did crash work for 38 years  but am not familier with new products  thanks.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

mopar0166

yup its decent, the better prep work the better it'll be

Pete in NH

I don't know of it's still true, but some time back the word was Summit paint was relabeled Kirker Paint. Kirker is a low line paint available only in pre-mixed colors. As you said in paint you get what you pay for. It depends how long you are going to hold on to that 04 PT. If you are only looking for several years Kirker might work for you. I would not use their clear. I think I would try Kirker's Urethane single stage with a decent clear over it. That combination might hold up fairly well. Kirker has been around for a long time and some guys like it but you won't find professionals using it.

jaak

I will start this by saying I am not a professional. I work on my own vehicles, and do some side work including light collision work, and sometimes doing the body and paint on an older car. Like mentioned earlier, I have heard Summit paints (as well as Eastwood brand) is re-labled Kirker, which is an economy brand that only sells pre-packaged colors. I have used Summit products, and they do the job. I use the high solids clear a lot, and its a good product for the money. In fact I use Summit Primers and Clears on any collision repair I do, I just have base mixed up a local jobber. I have used it for a few years so I can see it still looks like the day I shot it. The 2k urethane primer is good too, I was actually surprised how good it is. I have used better products, but for the money, they do as they are advertised to do. If you are building a car for SEMA, or doing a top notch restoration, you probably don't want to use it. If you are painting a nice driver/weekend warrior, or fixing a fender bender on late model vehicle, I'd recommend it. Like I said, really depends on your purpose.

I will also agree for the most part the old saying "You get what you pay for" is true in most cases, but what most folks don't take into consideration with most products, including paint, tools, etc. Most of the time the extra costs doesn't come from raw materials used in making a product, most of the time the cost is higher due to price of manufacture (basically country of orgin), advertising, warranties, sponsorships, etc. and that cost is passed to the consumer. Some people are to good to use HF tools, I have Mac, SnapOn, Craftsman, and Harbor Freight stuff in my tool box. Not saying one is better than the other, but I have broke more Mac tools than I have anything else.  I am not endorsing anything or saying one thing is better than another. Just do some online research before purchasing stuff, and make a decision on whats best to use for the task at hand.