News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Starter, Battery, Starter Relay?

Started by MoparManJim, February 06, 2012, 06:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparManJim

Okay, I ran into a issue like it seems. I almost got the charger running, but for some reason I'm having a issue with power to the starter now. I even took the start apart an rebuilt/repaired the battery peg. It was loose an moving around. The last few days the car was not getting spark, until I worked with the points system an got it going again. Now it seems that the starter doesn't want to kick over at all, when I go to turn the key, it goes "click click" an that is it. The battery is full charge as the battery charger reads. The battery is for 530 something I think CCA. At times when I turn the key everything in the charger goes dead an I have to get out an play with the battery term's to get power back in the charger. At times I just set behind the wheel an the power comes back by itself. But will not let me start the car at all. What could be causing this issue? Could it be the Starter Silode that went bad? The battery not enough Amps? Starter Relay on the firewall?  :-\ :-\ :-\ :shruggy:

John_Kunkel

The firewall disconnect is the source of many such problems, trace the heavy (usually red) wire on the large threaded starter relay terminal to the disconnect then remove the connector and clean the terminals.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

404NOTFOUND

You certainly seem to have the same problems I do. Sounds like your bulkhead plugs need a cleanup. Have a look here.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,88631.0.html
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

MoparManJim

Quote from: 404NOTFOUND on February 06, 2012, 07:23:31 PM
You certainly seem to have the same problems I do. Sounds like your bulkhead plugs need a cleanup. Have a look here.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,88631.0.html

What bulkheads? I removed mine all together, I wasn't dumb. The main stuff is not ran through the bulkhead at all but rather direct to the hook ups. 

What I meant by firewall was the starter relay on the firewall. Not the bulkhead at all. 

MoparManJim

Everything is clean, I made sure of that. That is what is puzzling me right now..  :-\ 

MoparManJim

Okay, how do you by pass the soilde on the starter? I mean how can you remove it an relocate it some where else? BTW, thank you all for the help so far. If I should like I'm getting lippy please over look it okay you all. This car is starting to make me mad at it  :lol:

A383Wing

you say you have to play with the battery terminals? I would check those and clean them first

Bryan

Fred

Hey Jim, when are we going to see a pic of your Charger? I still have know idea what it looks like.  :shruggy:
Post up!  :yesnod:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

MoparManJim

Quote from: A383Wing on February 06, 2012, 10:41:16 PM
you say you have to play with the battery terminals? I would check those and clean them first

Bryan

There clean as well, i even cleaned them 1st off. I have no clue as to what the issue is right now. Thanks though so far for the ideas  :cheers:

70 Charger RT

Take a set of booster cables.  Attach the positive onto the starter stud.  Attach the other end of the cable to the + battery.  Clip the ground from the cables onto the - of the battery.  Now touch the other end of the ground cable somewhere on the engine.  You should spin the starter at this point.  If it doesn't spin over, the problem is with the starter.  Its possible as well the starter is loose (poor ground).  MAKE SURE ALL YOUR CONNECTIONS ARE GOOD.

Let us know if that works for you.
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

MoparManJim

Well guy's, here is an update, I think the start crap the bed on me. So I took this evening an took the old one with me to Advance Auto's over in town an got a new starter for $38.00. The old starter the gear pluger piece would work but the starter gear wouldn't spin at all. I'm not even sure how old the starter even was either. New one works alot better an it's not a Double Deduction one either at that. It's not a mini one either. But it works with the engine. Now I just have to get the engine to start (hasn't run in 6 years maybe a year more). Thank you all for the help on here with my issue an trying to help me out.  :cheers:

John_Kunkel

A faulty starter doesn't explain the "At times when I turn the key everything in the charger goes dead an I have to get out an play with the battery term's to get power back in the charger." in your first post.

MoparManJim

Quote from: John_Kunkel on February 08, 2012, 02:24:48 PM

A faulty starter doesn't explain the "At times when I turn the key everything in the charger goes dead an I have to get out an play with the battery term's to get power back in the charger." in your first post.

John, let me just say it like this, the old starter, each time I hit the key, the battery or the charger would just go dead just like that at the flick of the switch. Now with this new starter, the battery doesn't even do that at all, not even when battery is almost dead either, it still try to turn the new starter over  :2thumbs:. The old starter, it wouldn't do that at all with.

Read down in my other replys in this thread, other then just what I said in my first post, bud. You will see the issue is starting to go away now sense I replaced the starter with a new one. Meaning it had something to do with the old starter. Meaning it does explain it did have something to do with the faulty old starter.

Back N Black

The battery is fully charged and the starter is not cranking the engine?

MoparManJim

Quote from: Back N Black on February 08, 2012, 03:21:19 PM
The battery is fully charged and the starter is not cranking the engine?

Yep.. that is or was correct with the old starter. New starter cranks the engine just fine now, just can't get the engine to start now is all. 

Indygenerallee

Jim, Did you bypass the neutral safety switch and see if it starts?
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: MoparManJim on February 08, 2012, 03:05:07 PM

John, let me just say it like this, the old starter, each time I hit the key, the battery or the charger would just go dead just like that at the flick of the switch. Now with this new starter, the battery doesn't even do that at all,

Oh, when you hit the key to the Start position...the way you said it originally made it sound like it did that in any position. 

MoparManJim

Quote from: Indygenerallee on February 08, 2012, 10:13:31 PM
Jim, Did you bypass the neutral safety switch and see if it starts?

I took all that stuff out. It is battery an sol hook up.

MoparManJim

Quote from: John_Kunkel on February 09, 2012, 04:32:07 PM
Quote from: MoparManJim on February 08, 2012, 03:05:07 PM

John, let me just say it like this, the old starter, each time I hit the key, the battery or the charger would just go dead just like that at the flick of the switch. Now with this new starter, the battery doesn't even do that at all,

Oh, when you hit the key to the Start position...the way you said it originally made it sound like it did that in any position. 

I'm sorry for it sounded, man. No it only did it in the Start position, soon as it hit the start position it went "click" an no power at all to the car. Always had to get out an play with the battery terms an then had power again. New starter doesn't do that. Only time it goes "click" now is when the battery term isn't tighten down to tight.