News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vintage APPEARING service stations

Started by Ghoste, February 09, 2012, 07:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

The recent talk about old gas pumps got me wondering how many vintage service stations are still around.  Got any in your town?  Abandoned or still operating?  And I don't mean pics ripped from other sites on the web or a modernized one that has been in the same location for 50 years but actual ones in your town that are still standing and looking, well, vintage.

There is only one in my town and I'll grab a pic later.

RIDELIKEHELL

We had a few up until a few years back but they since have closed and are up for sale as the bigger stations have all had facelifts. My dads childhood friend owns the Shell Service station on the corner of Christina & Exmouth here in Sarnia(by the 402 Exit) and he was forced to have it upgraded a few years back but it was 70's style until then.
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

Lennard

Route 66 is all around me and I can think of at least 4 abandoned gas stations in my area.
I also made my shed in the back yard look somewhat like a 50's gas station.

Ghoste

That's cool.  We have a similar one at the entrance to work.

Lennard

Similar gas pump? It's a 1948 Wayne 100A, pretty rare.

Brock Lee

I will have to get pics, but there is a larger as station/rest stop from maybe the 40's or 50's nearby that has been updated here and there, but is mostly in great, original shape. It is on a main road going from the city to the suburbs and initially transitioned from the country to city, so there is no real modern things around it to kill the vibe. Everytime I see it I think it would take little effort to make it a great period filming location.

There is also an old 50's used car dealer lot around here that has a check cashing biz in it..but the building and lot is pretty much as it was.

Old Moparz

Quote from: Ghoste on February 09, 2012, 07:58:05 AM
The recent talk about old gas pumps got me wondering how many vintage service stations are still around.  Got any in your town?  Abandoned or still operating?  And I don't mean pics ripped from other sites on the web or a modernized one that has been in the same location for 50 years but actual ones in your town that are still standing and looking, well, vintage.

There is only one in my town and I'll grab a pic later.

Interesting topic.  :cheers:

I know of several places that are either abandoned, or had just changed the type of business that now operates where the old gas station had been. They're not vintage as in pre 1950's, but they definitely have at least 60's or 70's style. Only one that I can recall being very old, but I think it's gone now.

I'll have to see if I can remember my camera tomorrow, I pass 2 of them on the way to work.  :shruggy:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

bull

Quote from: Lennard on February 09, 2012, 01:59:37 PM
Route 66 is all around me and I can think of at least 4 abandoned gas stations in my area.
I also made my shed in the back yard look somewhat like a 50's gas station.

Wow, that is really cool! Thanks for posting the pics.

So, I gotta ask... What's the deal with the Camaro?

tan top

intresting stuff , not wanting to hijack anything  , i know not in use today , but  found this some years back , can't remember where  :scratchchin: :shruggy: thought it might of interest

http://www.texasescapes.com/Texas_architecture/TexasGasStations.htm
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

BigBlockSam

QuoteI also made my shed in the back yard look somewhat like a 50's gas station.

that's way cool  :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Lennard

Quote from: bull on February 09, 2012, 03:12:47 PM
Wow, that is really cool! Thanks for posting the pics.
So, I gotta ask... What's the deal with the Camaro?
I bought the '67 Camaro about 5 years ago with the intention to restore/restomod it because my wife had one when she was 18. Then I started taking my '69 Charger a part and the Camaro still sits... maybe one day I'll get to it. :scratchchin:

doctor4766

Here's an old one.
It's no longer in use though and the pumps are long gone.
Coolup is in the south west of Western Australia.

Gotta love a '69

redgum78

There is a few old servo's still going around here (Country Vic Australia) but slowly been taken over by the bigger company's. Love your shed/servo Lennard it looks great. I have similar plans for my mine. Currently on the scout for an old pump.....they are getting hard to find and $$$$ now!

nvrbdn

we have a few within an hour from the house. chargersteve ahas pics of his car at a couple of them when he came through illinois running rt 66. we have a couple he didnt take that i will have to get pic's of and post. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

C_stripes

Here's my Dart parked in front of one in Idaho

And My old Duster parked by one in Utah.

And my 340 4spd Dart on the trailer in front of a old store. This is the car I am building into a pro touring car.

And one more just for fun, my wagons parked in front of the same one here in Utah.

The second and last one are in Newton, UT. It still serves as the US post office for the town, the shop is going being turned into a artisan bakery. :) Welcome to small town USA, population 790
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

nvrbdn

im heading out today to get a couple shots. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

billssuperbird

rnjump

I have the old Skelly pole sign and a few other items from my Dads station. He ran it til 1968. The building still stands today. I worked there in high school. It is a block from the town square. I would like to buy the property and run my business from it with all the pumps and signs back in place.

Lennard

Quote from: redgum78 on February 11, 2012, 12:36:24 AM
Love your shed/servo Lennard it looks great. I have similar plans for my mine. Currently on the scout for an old pump.....they are getting hard to find and $$$$ now!
Thanks  :thumbs:

nvrbdn

well we went out and found some.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

more
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

more with something inside
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

while cruising rt 66 we crossed over the interstate where country classics is located. thought we would take a pic.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

more
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

more looking through the windows
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

404NOTFOUND

Here's one with my car in Detroit.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

XS29LA47V21

On 66 some yrs ago   :popcrn:

PA Dodger

Here's a classic that is still in operation. It's an art deco Gulf station in Bedford PA. 

http://www.retroroadmap.com/2009/09/21/art-deco-gas-station-bedford-pa/
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

DonC1

Vintage stations are always great backgrounds for photoshoots

Magnumcharger

I hate to say it...but I'm practically obsessed with old service stations.
My favorite designs are the wonderful old-style Texaco gas stations, the ones that were painted white with forest-green streamline stripes and a free-standing post bearing the red Texaco star logo on a white disk, and were designed by Walter Dorwin Teague (also known for designing the Kodak Brownie camera and a host of other streamlined artifacts). In his book "Design This Day" (1940) Teague shows his original work for Texaco, the exhibition hall he designed for them at the Texas Centennial fair in 1935, plus photos of the small gas stations which were built cookie-cutter-like all over America.

Today your only chance of seeing an original Texaco station facade is to find one that was sold off to a private owner before the stations were remodelled. Typically these buildings are now the home of car body shops, small used car dealerships, or junk stores. The Texaco colour scheme will have been repainted, but the stations are identifiable by the three streamlines along the roof canopy and by the presence of the free-standing circular sign.

I take pictures of these buildings wherever I travel. There used to be a lot of them around my hometown, but in the space of the last twenty years, they're all but gone.

My "semi" goal is to build one in my back yard...
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Magnumcharger

Another pic...before and after... :icon_smile_angry:

Ghoste

There used to be a Gulf station in my hometown that was basically a dome.  I wish I could find pics of it.  It was torn down years ago to make way for a Wendy's. ::)

69 OUR/TEA

nvrbdn

i know where one of those is. i will have to get some shots this coming weekend if i get out. those pic's reminded me of it. :yesnod:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

PA Dodger

Here's a pic of the gas station I mentioned above. It's still in operation.

'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

71gtx

:icon_smile_big: in ont canada

Ghoste

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

71gtx

on hwy 2 going to toronto   2009 its still there :coolgleamA:

Ghoste

Oh no, not another trick geography question.  I thought hwy 2 went from Windsor to Hamilton (even though Hamilton is part of Toronto).

404NOTFOUND

Quote from: Ghoste on February 16, 2012, 02:00:10 PM
Oh no, not another trick geography question.  I thought hwy 2 went from Windsor to Hamilton (even though Hamilton is part of Toronto).

That's what I was thinking too. Can we have a map please?
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

Magnumcharger

There is an exact, and I mean an exact twin to this BP station located just outside of the town of Bethany in Saskatchewan. The old trans-Canada highway used to pass right by it in it's heyday. Since there are remnants of the BP signage still visible on the exterior, this station must have been put obsolete before 1968 when Gulf bought out BP in Canada. In fact, the town itself was bypassed by the new divided highway several years ago, so the station can be seen from the highway, sitting like an oasis in the middle of a farmers field!

Lennard

Quote from: PA Dodger on February 13, 2012, 10:40:45 PM
Here's a pic of the gas station I mentioned above. It's still in operation.

Beautiful :2thumbs:

71gtx

No you have it wrong. It was BA that Gulf bought out. BA was red and green signs, then they went to blue and orange. BP is a company on it's own and it's yellow and green. BA is British America and BP is British Petroleum. When Gulf bought out BA in 68 they gave you horse shoes to stick on your car for no knock gasoline.  :icon_smile_big:

Magnumcharger

You're right. I meant to type BA instead of BP.

71gtx

Ghoste

There you go then, I never knew hwy 2 reappeared on the other side of Toronto.  I just don't travel in that direction. :lol:

71gtx

I live in Eganville, which is in the Ottawa Valley, but you'll never find it, ghoste.  :nana: Don't let this thread die. There's tons of old gasoline stations up here, I'll take some pics this summer when I get the chance. There is a circa 1920 Shell station, with the original old pump.

Ghoste

Ottawa?  That's in Quebec or New Brunswick somewhere isn't it?

71gtx

Quote from: Ghoste on February 17, 2012, 02:12:37 PM
Ottawa?  That's in Quebec or New Brunswick somewhere isn't it?

see its pei :rofl: :nana: :icon_smile_big:

Back N Black

Quote from: 71gtx on February 17, 2012, 01:59:45 PM
I live in Eganville, which is in the Ottawa Valley, but you'll never find it, ghoste.  :nana: Don't let this thread die. There's tons of old gasoline stations up here, I'll take some pics this summer when I get the chance. There is a circa 1920 Shell station, with the original old pump.

Eganville is a great little town, has an awesome German restaurant can't remember the name. I Was posted to Petawawa for 9 years. Did you know there was a guy in Shawville Que. with 2 barns full of Mopars and parts.

71gtx

Quote from: Back N Black on February 17, 2012, 03:47:09 PM
Quote from: 71gtx on February 17, 2012, 01:59:45 PM

Eganville is a great little town, has an awesome German restaurant can't remember the name. I Was posted to Petawawa for 9 years. Did you know there was a guy in Shawville Que. with 2 barns full of Mopars and parts.

its call granery   guy in Shawville Que.   fred its  has name :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

Not sure if its real but I saw this not long ago in Marine City, Michigan.

Ghoste

This is one from my hometown as well.  I forget the brand of fuel they sold in the day but it was Adairs Garage and it was where all of the hot rodders hung out.  He owned (and still does) and wrenched an old front engine 392 Hemi digger.  It set some kind of record in Canada and I can't recall it now.  First Canadian car over 200 or 250 possibly?
Anyway, the first new car he ever bought was a 66 Charger and he has that parked in his shop beside the dragster.

Ghoste

The bricked window to the left of the front face was his office and all of the drag trophis used to be displayed in there and new ones always got window space.

Ghoste

And here is the station that started this whole mess and I never did get around to posting a pic of it.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

bull

I saw a really cool abandoned station on Route 66 in Arizona but I was in too big a hurry to stop and take pics. It was run down but almost completely intact. Got to thinking later about passing it by and felt bad because that rushed mindset is exactly what killed Route 66.

Ghoste

Funny you mention that, I was thinking about some of the road trips I'm planning this year and that secondary roads with a more generous dealine to my arrival might make for a better time.

earnie

Quote from: Magnumcharger on February 13, 2012, 11:27:03 AM
I hate to say it...but I'm practically obsessed with old service stations.
My favorite designs are the wonderful old-style Texaco gas stations, the ones that were painted white with forest-green streamline stripes and a free-standing post bearing the red Texaco star logo on a white disk, and were designed by Walter Dorwin Teague (also known for designing the Kodak Brownie camera and a host of other streamlined artifacts). In his book "Design This Day" (1940) Teague shows his original work for Texaco, the exhibition hall he designed for them at the Texas Centennial fair in 1935, plus photos of the small gas stations which were built cookie-cutter-like all over America.

Today your only chance of seeing an original Texaco station facade is to find one that was sold off to a private owner before the stations were remodelled. Typically these buildings are now the home of car body shops, small used car dealerships, or junk stores. The Texaco colour scheme will have been repainted, but the stations are identifiable by the three streamlines along the roof canopy and by the presence of the free-standing circular sign.

I take pictures of these buildings wherever I travel. There used to be a lot of them around my hometown, but in the space of the last twenty years, they're all but gone.

My "semi" goal is to build one in my back yard...
this would be an awesome garage

Aero426

At Soulsby's.   I'd like to crop the Dollar General out of the background.

Ghoste

Between the car and the station I wouldn't even notice the background if you hadn't brought it up. :shruggy:

Ghoste

Spotted this one near my home the other day.  Its a residence now but it was White Rose at one time.

pettybird

Quote from: Aero426 on February 01, 2014, 12:10:19 AM
At Soulsby's.   I'd like to crop the Dollar General out of the background.

Dollar General looks better if you park another Superbird in front of it  ;)

pettybird

This place was a total trip, too.  Basically a gas station edition of Hoarders.  You could barely walk through.

Double dose of mom and the B5 car, too...guess who's always carrying the camera...

pettybird

One more.  This is the opposite of what you asked for, but still pretty cool.  This is the Citgo station in Martinsville IN.  The guy on the right is the previous owner of the 'bird (last owned it in 1976) and his childhood friend (he now owns the place.)  The gas station got modernized along the way but this Superbird bought gas on this property 40 years ago   :coolgleamA:

pettybird

OK another.  We drag our heap more places than I can remember.

This is a former service station turned into a Texaco museum.  It's around Lebanon IN.  The inside was full of Texaco stuff, too.  The guy who owned the place did it as a tribute to his station-owning father.

pettybird

Last for now.  It's "vintage" as in "kinda run down" but this is hallowed ground for stock car folks.

Ghoste

djcarguy

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

mel t