News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vintage APPEARING service stations

Started by Ghoste, February 09, 2012, 07:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71gtx

I live in Eganville, which is in the Ottawa Valley, but you'll never find it, ghoste.  :nana: Don't let this thread die. There's tons of old gasoline stations up here, I'll take some pics this summer when I get the chance. There is a circa 1920 Shell station, with the original old pump.

Ghoste

Ottawa?  That's in Quebec or New Brunswick somewhere isn't it?

71gtx

Quote from: Ghoste on February 17, 2012, 02:12:37 PM
Ottawa?  That's in Quebec or New Brunswick somewhere isn't it?

see its pei :rofl: :nana: :icon_smile_big:

Back N Black

Quote from: 71gtx on February 17, 2012, 01:59:45 PM
I live in Eganville, which is in the Ottawa Valley, but you'll never find it, ghoste.  :nana: Don't let this thread die. There's tons of old gasoline stations up here, I'll take some pics this summer when I get the chance. There is a circa 1920 Shell station, with the original old pump.

Eganville is a great little town, has an awesome German restaurant can't remember the name. I Was posted to Petawawa for 9 years. Did you know there was a guy in Shawville Que. with 2 barns full of Mopars and parts.

71gtx

Quote from: Back N Black on February 17, 2012, 03:47:09 PM
Quote from: 71gtx on February 17, 2012, 01:59:45 PM

Eganville is a great little town, has an awesome German restaurant can't remember the name. I Was posted to Petawawa for 9 years. Did you know there was a guy in Shawville Que. with 2 barns full of Mopars and parts.

its call granery   guy in Shawville Que.   fred its  has name :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

Not sure if its real but I saw this not long ago in Marine City, Michigan.

Ghoste

This is one from my hometown as well.  I forget the brand of fuel they sold in the day but it was Adairs Garage and it was where all of the hot rodders hung out.  He owned (and still does) and wrenched an old front engine 392 Hemi digger.  It set some kind of record in Canada and I can't recall it now.  First Canadian car over 200 or 250 possibly?
Anyway, the first new car he ever bought was a 66 Charger and he has that parked in his shop beside the dragster.

Ghoste

The bricked window to the left of the front face was his office and all of the drag trophis used to be displayed in there and new ones always got window space.

Ghoste

And here is the station that started this whole mess and I never did get around to posting a pic of it.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

bull

I saw a really cool abandoned station on Route 66 in Arizona but I was in too big a hurry to stop and take pics. It was run down but almost completely intact. Got to thinking later about passing it by and felt bad because that rushed mindset is exactly what killed Route 66.

Ghoste

Funny you mention that, I was thinking about some of the road trips I'm planning this year and that secondary roads with a more generous dealine to my arrival might make for a better time.

earnie

Quote from: Magnumcharger on February 13, 2012, 11:27:03 AM
I hate to say it...but I'm practically obsessed with old service stations.
My favorite designs are the wonderful old-style Texaco gas stations, the ones that were painted white with forest-green streamline stripes and a free-standing post bearing the red Texaco star logo on a white disk, and were designed by Walter Dorwin Teague (also known for designing the Kodak Brownie camera and a host of other streamlined artifacts). In his book "Design This Day" (1940) Teague shows his original work for Texaco, the exhibition hall he designed for them at the Texas Centennial fair in 1935, plus photos of the small gas stations which were built cookie-cutter-like all over America.

Today your only chance of seeing an original Texaco station facade is to find one that was sold off to a private owner before the stations were remodelled. Typically these buildings are now the home of car body shops, small used car dealerships, or junk stores. The Texaco colour scheme will have been repainted, but the stations are identifiable by the three streamlines along the roof canopy and by the presence of the free-standing circular sign.

I take pictures of these buildings wherever I travel. There used to be a lot of them around my hometown, but in the space of the last twenty years, they're all but gone.

My "semi" goal is to build one in my back yard...
this would be an awesome garage

Aero426

At Soulsby's.   I'd like to crop the Dollar General out of the background.

Ghoste

Between the car and the station I wouldn't even notice the background if you hadn't brought it up. :shruggy:

Ghoste

Spotted this one near my home the other day.  Its a residence now but it was White Rose at one time.

pettybird

Quote from: Aero426 on February 01, 2014, 12:10:19 AM
At Soulsby's.   I'd like to crop the Dollar General out of the background.

Dollar General looks better if you park another Superbird in front of it  ;)

pettybird

This place was a total trip, too.  Basically a gas station edition of Hoarders.  You could barely walk through.

Double dose of mom and the B5 car, too...guess who's always carrying the camera...

pettybird

One more.  This is the opposite of what you asked for, but still pretty cool.  This is the Citgo station in Martinsville IN.  The guy on the right is the previous owner of the 'bird (last owned it in 1976) and his childhood friend (he now owns the place.)  The gas station got modernized along the way but this Superbird bought gas on this property 40 years ago   :coolgleamA:

pettybird

OK another.  We drag our heap more places than I can remember.

This is a former service station turned into a Texaco museum.  It's around Lebanon IN.  The inside was full of Texaco stuff, too.  The guy who owned the place did it as a tribute to his station-owning father.

pettybird

Last for now.  It's "vintage" as in "kinda run down" but this is hallowed ground for stock car folks.

Ghoste

djcarguy

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

mel t