News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

tubular control arms? who makes the best for 72 b body?

Started by joe dirt, March 25, 2013, 04:56:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe dirt

so today I was in the garage. working on my car. i have the fenders off at the moment. so im woundering if i should replace my control arms? the original ones look a little tierd. and strained. should i stay stock. or should i go with after market tubular control arms? and if so. who makes the best? adjustable or what would work best for street. and strip? i go to the dragway every week end. i drive my car two or three times a week.
*THE ORIGINAL JOE DIRT*

cougs

I would absolutely do it.  Helps with stability and centering.   One of the better lesser expensive upgrades there is.  I have the non adjustable a from performance online.   I like them.   Be advised they come unfinished so you'll need to paint or powder them.   
1968 Charger 383/727  Restored to Stock!

dangina

the best would be hotchkis, but they are pricey, but they are the only ones that come with custom brackets to correct the poor geometry of our cars

HPP

Unless you have problems getting caster, they are, IMO, an expensive upgrade for a minimal gain of a coupe degrees of caster. Most tubular units are designed for additional caster, but you can also use offset bushings in the stock arms for $60 compared to $300-600 for tubular arms. In some cases, even the offset bushings won't get you enough caster to be helpful, so then you might need to consider the tubular arm set-ups.

But I'm a cheapskate, so I try the cheap stuff first. PLus I can do my own alignments so I have no problem jacking up the settings with change overs. Your mileage may vary.

Hotchkis is a very good unit and they do call them geometry correcting. What they "correct" is removal of anti-dive geometry. That is a reasonable thought if you have stepped up t-bars rates to compensate for the dive geometry they take out, but if you have stock t-bars, that may not be a good thing.