News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68-70 charger jacks , due it your self make one

Started by moparstuart, February 15, 2012, 10:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

I had been so frustrated with the 300.00 and 400.00 dollar prices on 2nd gen charger jacks  
I need two and just cant see spending that much cash on a jack .  Well here was my solution  ,  standard B body jack and a 77 dodge pick-up brake pedal .  Yup not completed yet but they will look really close and i have 100.00 bucks invested total in the two .  I had heard rumors this could be done and i think once in the trunk will look not perfect but pretty close or close enough for me  .    
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ghoste

YOU'RE A GODAMN GENIUS GUMP MOPARSTUART!  YOU SHOULD BE A GENERAL!    :lol:  thank you for the morning chuckle btw

moparstuart

moparstuart

:popcrn: just need to weld them on and drill the hole or holes in the face on the plate , anyone got pictures of a real one or measurments for my holes  ? 

moparstuart

Quote from: Ghoste on February 15, 2012, 10:10:38 AM
YOU'RE A GODAMN GENIUS GUMP MOPARSTUART!  YOU SHOULD BE A GENERAL!    :lol:  thank you for the morning chuckle btw
[/quote    man where is the love   :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

Oh please, do not take that the wrong way.  No insult meant in any way at all.  I am laughing at the ingenuity of the whole thing and the scene from Forrest Gump just popped in my head.  Probably because its just something we shout at each other sometimes here at my own work when someone comes up with an idea like that.
Trughfully buddy lots of love, my hat is off to you.

moparstuart

Quote from: Ghoste on February 15, 2012, 10:23:22 AM
Oh please, do not take that the wrong way.  No insult meant in any way at all.  I am laughing at the ingenuity of the whole thing and the scene from Forrest Gump just popped in my head.  Probably because its just something we shout at each other sometimes here at my own work when someone comes up with an idea like that.
Trughfully buddy lots of love, my hat is off to you.
i cant take the credit for  whole idea because i have seen reproductions out there , but when i saw a dodge truck brake pedal here at the salvage yard that was so close in contour I knew it would make the job alot easier .

moparstuart

The bag on the shaft has the little extra pieces of metal i cut off the pedal , that i will cut to fit behind the plate on each side to fill in the gap and help support the flange/plate .  

bull

moparstuart

Quote from: bull on February 15, 2012, 01:12:18 PM
Just cough up the $300. :slap:
i almost did several times but just couldnt bring my self to do it .  That and i knew i needed two 

bull

I can get them (when they come available) for around $175. That price is for one that works and is complete but needs restored. When I saw your post I called the guy and he doesn't have any right now but my name will supposedly be written down now as being in need of one. Two is a tall order but it can happen if given enough time.

moparstuart

Quote from: bull on February 15, 2012, 01:25:19 PM
I can get them (when they come available) for around $175. That price is for one that works and is complete but needs restored. When I saw your post I called the guy and he doesn't have any right now but my name will supposedly be written down now as being in need of one. Two is a tall order but it can happen if given enough time.
:2thumbs: :2thumbs:  i'm all good now , feels good having done it my self and my trunks will look better with them in there. Now to pay for the attaching springs   :scared: :scared: :scared:

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

moparstuart

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

MoparManJim

Quote from: moparstuart on February 15, 2012, 01:16:49 PM
Quote from: bull on February 15, 2012, 01:12:18 PM
Just cough up the $300. :slap:
i almost did several times but just couldnt bring my self to do it .  That and i knew i needed two 

Stuart, I think you have a good head on your shoulders sir.

I myself wouldn't have paid that much out either. There is always ways out there about going about something.. you just have to think of them is all, like you did, even though the whole idea isn't yours. But the concept does work though. If Bull want's the spend $300.00 then let him  :lol:. You could spend $600.00 (for 2) also. But why when there is other way's that also work's. You now have two, an it's not none of my business at how much you have invested in them or the pieces. So out of $300.00 or $600.00 look at what you saved in doe ray me  :2thumbs:.  My one cousin loose to run a junking yard about 5 years ago, he retired about 4 years ago. But I can still see all kind of jacks laying around his junk yard. He cleared out of the cars he had in by hauling them to the scrap yard 3 hours away. But he still has stuff laying about up in the yard though. His son now semi runs the yard. Like you, if they couldn't find a tool they needed, an if they could make the tool, they shure as heck did  :2thumbs:

Daytona R/T SE

So...I'm guessing the price of pickup truck brake pedals just went up... :smilielol:

moparstuart

Ghoste

Rolling_Thunder

Are the factory Charger jacks worth that much money?  I should sell mine if they are - I never have / will use it.  :shruggy:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

BigBlockSam

look's pretty good . i got luck my friend Jack sold me one for $40. :nana:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Darkman

I will double check, but I'm sure mine came with 2 that I don't need....would have given them away...just asked enough to cover postage
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

gtx6970

I have an original here and can take pics from an angle you need

A383Wing

looks good....I bought my complete jack set-up in the 90's for $20...and he delivered it to my house

that tape I don't think will hold up for long....  :D

I can see lots of Dodge trucks now with missing brake pedals

Bryan

moparstuart

Quote from: gtx6970 on February 15, 2012, 07:36:26 PM
I have an original here and can take pics from an angle you need
please and the holes in the top of the plate 

Old Moparz

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on February 15, 2012, 06:21:38 PM
Are the factory Charger jacks worth that much money?  I should sell mine if they are - I never have / will use it.  :shruggy:

I've used that type of jack many years ago because that's all you had in the car. It can be very interesting watching the car teeter & sway from tractor trailers blowing past you on the shoulder while you balance 4000 pounds on top of a ratcheting pencil.   :o

And also why one of the first things I did with every car since, was replace the ratcheting pencil with a small floor jack. I still have 4 or 5 jacks with various bases & hooks, I just don't recall what cars they're from.

Good job Stuart, it will look close enough that most people will never know.   :cheers:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

moparstuart

Quote from: Old Moparz on February 16, 2012, 06:39:30 AM
Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on February 15, 2012, 06:21:38 PM

I've used that type of jack many years ago because that's all you had in the car. It can be very interesting watching the car teeter & sway from tractor trailers blowing past you on the shoulder while you balance 4000 pounds on top of a ratcheting pencil.   :o

And also why one of the first things I did with every car since, was replace the ratcheting pencil with a small floor jack. I still have 4 or 5 jacks with various bases & hooks, I just don't recall what cars they're from.

Good job Stuart, it will look close enough that most people will never know.   :cheers:
and as you say its dangerous so it will never get used .  It will just be pretty in the trunk at shows    :icon_smile_big:    I have a small sissor jack kit out of a junk yard car I just move from car to car when i'm driving on long trips .

Ghoste

Good point and I do the same.  I don't think I would use the original bumper jack on any of these old cars other than for show or emergency.

BrianShaughnessy

Those original jacks need a warning sticker "for display purposes only"  :yesnod:

Used to use them but wouldn't want to be stuck in the situation of having to use one anymore. 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

charger_fan_4ever

My car will have to pass inspection before i can plate it. I bet the B#$@@#$s won't pass it unless it has a spare and jack.  :icon_smile_angry:

gtx6970

Here it goes
Orignal jack from a 1969 Charger( not for sale before  anyone asks)

gtx6970

measurements of the plate

Davtona

moparstuart

moparstuart

A383Wing

Ghoste