News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Block sanding question

Started by 1BAD68, February 20, 2012, 09:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

Ok so I did all the repairs to the body (welding, grinding, etc.) and then sanded the whole thing with 80 grit.
Then I skimmed with "glaze" and blocked using a 16" board and 80 grit, it's coming out really nice but I'm just wondering about how much filler is left on the car?
This is basically a rust free southern California car with a few weld repairs, door dings and some waviness here and there. But after the first round of block sanding, does this look right?
Or does there seem to be a lot of filler left on the car?

Cooter

If it's rust free, and you want all question of whether it will be straight, then yes, that looks about right.

look at any of those fiberglass bodies. By the time the bodyshop is done, they've skimmed the entire body with filler and blocked.

Keep at it and use those hands to feel any imperfections. Move slowly and fast alternating to get a good feel for straightness. Do not stay at for hours though, as I've found you are feeling dents that aren't nessesarily there after about 5 hours of blocking.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Patronus

Looks about right. What grit did you take it to? I would get it in x2 coats of high build primer and then block it again. (this can take care of the subtle lows after the highs).. You can always tell how straight a car is by how quickly it blocks. A super straight car will block in minutes. Just remember, from one end of the panel to the other, all 17'-2"... :popcrn:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

elitecustombody

Try to use longer board. The longer the board usually yeilds better ,flatter surface. Try to send in X-patter as much as possible. I'd make sure there is no surface rust under factory paint/primer. I've seen it and had to strip the whole car because of it,even though the paint looked great. :Twocents:

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

bill440rt

Looks about right to me as well. Heck, I probably had more on mine with the skimcoat.  :yesnod:

I like to give it two coats of sprayable polyester blocked with 100-180 before going to a filler primer. Really gets it nice & straight.
Another tip that works is running some masking tape along the body lines as a guideline when blocking. Keeps the line straight & sharp.  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

jaak

Quote from: bill440rt on February 21, 2012, 08:04:32 AM
Looks about right to me as well. Heck, I probably had more on mine with the skimcoat.  :yesnod:

I like to give it two coats of sprayable polyester blocked with 100-180 before going to a filler primer. Really gets it nice & straight.
Another tip that works is running some masking tape along the body lines as a guideline when blocking. Keeps the line straight & sharp.  :2thumbs:

:iagree: Exactly how I did mine.

Jason

1BAD68

What "sprayable polyester" did you guys use?
Would something like this work...

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-contour-polyseter-primer-surfacer-gal.html

Charger-Bodie

I like the evercoat slick sand. I usually put on 3 coats though. VERY nice non shrinking stuff. I love Poly surfacer.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bill440rt

I like Standox Spritzplastik. 2 coats, fills great, sands easily.
You'll need a siphon feed gun with at least a 2.0 tip, I'm pretty sure the one I have has a 2.2 tip or so.  :scratchchin:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Charger-Bodie

I dont recall what size tip ours has but we use a Sata KLC poly surfacer gun. Works awesome.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

68RT440

Your on the right track. I worked at a hot rod shop for a few years, and we would buy brand new bodies and still would have to skim them top to bottom to make them right. Its the only way to get them dead straight...
1968 Charger R/T, matching numbers 440/727, black with green top and interior, currently getting restored by me

elitecustombody

Evercoat Featherfill G2 is all you need.Available in few popular colors

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

1BAD68

Ok I'm going to use the Evercoat Featherfill.
How does it sand? Easy, hard, plug up the paper?

jaak

Quote from: 1BAD68 on February 28, 2012, 12:01:14 PM
Ok I'm going to use the Evercoat Featherfill.
How does it sand? Easy, hard, plug up the paper?

I have used Evercoat's Slicksand, and I have used Mar-hyde's Quicksand, both sanded very easily and did not plug the paper (but I did wait for a few days to really harden before I started blocking).
I have never used feather fill, but I'm sure its just as good... Evercoat makes great products. I use their fillers too.

QuoteYou'll need a siphon feed gun with at least a 2.0 tip, I'm pretty sure the one I have has a 2.2 tip or so. 

I bought the cheapest new gun with a 2.0 tip I could find on eBay (20 bucks, it was a gravity feed). It worked pretty good, but I think a 2.2 tip would be better....Poly primer is some THICK stuff!

Jason

furyrestored

i love evercoat slick sand i have used it on a half dozen cars now and spray it with a cheap gravity feed gun with a 2.5 tip that i bought on ebay for around 30 bucks and free shipping really does a great job spraying those high build primers,just type in primer gun on ebay all categories and presto,best 30 bucks i spent in a while :2thumbs:

1BAD68

Evercoat recommends using a self-etch or epoxy primer under it.
What do you guy's use self-etching or epoxy?

bill440rt

I coated the car with PPG epoxy prime first, then did bodywork over that.
So, then I applied the Standox spray filler over a mixed substrate of epoxy, bare metal, and body filler, it will stick over all of them.

BTW, Standox is now owned by DuPont.  :2thumbs:

1BAD68

I read about Standox and it sounds like a great product but I have no clue where to get it.
Seems like it's available in Europe.
I'll ask the Guy at the paint shop.

Aero426

Quote from: 1BAD68 on March 01, 2012, 03:09:22 PM
Both are ok to use.    I do have a personal preference:

Clean (new or freshly blasted) metal = epoxy sprayed on immediately.  
Repaired or previously worked panel = self etch

Let's say you are working that bare panel a week or so.  The little bit of acid in the self etch will help kill any flash corrosion left on your panel.  
You can't see it, but as soon as it's bare metal, it's rusting. Same with any small pits  that might be left.   The self etch will get a little better bite.    

Epoxy primer will seal off the panel for corrosion resistance.
Self etch does not seal.  

AirborneSilva

Quote from: Aero426 on March 01, 2012, 04:07:56 PM

Self etch does not seal.  

So then could you or would you use both, first self etch then epoxy?

jaak

I recommend epoxy. Here's the order in which I primered my car...
1. Epoxy (after stripping car)
2. Polyester (after all filler work)
3. Urethane High build (commonly referred as 2k, but technically any primer that uses a catalyst is a '2k' or 'Two component'

I personally did 2 rounds of blocking/priming with polyester (blocked with 180 first round, then 220 with second), then 2 rounds of Urethane (400 first round, then wet sanded with 500 second round).

Jason

Patronus

My favorite it the dura-block 1-3/8"x11" block-one end to the other-both straight and arched to the body. Over, and over, and over..... :icon_smile_blackeye: :icon_smile_blackeye:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Aero426

Quote from: AirborneSilva on March 01, 2012, 04:10:41 PM
Quote from: Aero426 on March 01, 2012, 04:07:56 PM

Self etch does not seal.  

So then could you or would you use both, first self etch then epoxy?

If you blast or strip your car, epoxy will protect it if you are looking at several months of body work.    Then when you do your body work, you are going to run into bare spots.  Self etch on those will protect it.    Old fashioned bondo should go over bare metal, but it will stick to epoxy primer.  
The catalyzed 2k primer goes over your bondo work and you final block that and repeat prime as needed.  

AirborneSilva