News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

self teaching welding question

Started by deanj309, June 10, 2012, 02:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanj309

Do I have the right one,mine said 75 percent argon 25 percent carbon dioxide

73charger440

squeakfinder

Yep. That's the wright gas. I've got a Hobart 135 handler and that looks like the wright setting to start with.
But as mentioned, get a piece of scrap that's the same gauge and practice. You might have to go up and on the wire speed and power to get it wright. Make sure the metal is clean, these wire feed's need a good ground.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

deanj309

Hi, can some one post a pic of a nice spot weld before it gets sanded down. How far out side of the hole do I go....how big szhould the ball of weld be.....because I will fill the hole with a nice size ball a little bit bigger then the hole and when I remove the screws and weight to hold the pan down tight to the frame rails it pops and the weld dosnt stick.I have. Little weld thru sprayed on it would that stop it thx!

73charger440

I have Lincoln it works good but has paddles for heat settings so you can't get between so that kinda sucks.does IRS have a dial?don't have any pictures but the best way to describe a spot weld is smooth and flat.sounds like you maybe not getting enough heat kinda fun welding sheet metal to a tick pcs of frame you get to hot you'll burn through not hott enough and it won't stick.

deanj309

Well I just spent the last 2 hrs tryin to dial in my 140 hart welder and its still not right I think,what is the best w[ to push down the floor pan across the main cross member just before the trans hump I can't seem to get enough weight on it I hink that is why my welds are popin iam even crouching down in it tryin to weight in down and weld same time. I massaged it, banged it so now slighty dented.and screwed it in place I'm lost and now I will douse my self in steak juice and run into a wild pack of hyenas!!!.

Kangerman

Sounds like you need to turn up the wire feed speed (current or amps). It controls the penetration. The voltage/trim or whatever it's called on your welder controls the width of the arc. Try to keep less than a 2mm gap between part surfaces being welded. Someone already mentioned it, but definately try get your parts as clean as possible. Clean/degrease everything then wire brush..not the other way around.

squeakfinder

Make sure your tip is clean. With it popping you might have slag restricting flow of the shielding gas. But the tip should also be close to the weld in order for the gas to work. Hopefully that will eliminate the contamination that's causing the pinhole's.

You may have to turn the current up and focus your weld on the heavier frame structure of the car. And ease over to the floor pan for shorter time to avoid blowing threw the thinner sheet metal.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

69fourspd

To keep the metal down, you may want to put in a few self tapping screws.  I was standing on my trunk pan and couldn't get it down enough.  Once you have some welds, you can pull the screws and fill.  Then just zap them with a grinding disc until flush.  Turned out really nice on mine and don't have many gaps if you were to just push/weigh down.