News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Block sanding question

Started by 1BAD68, February 20, 2012, 09:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elitecustombody

At this point it's hard to determine if it's base or clear that is causing the solvent pop,but usually it's the clear, if you let the base sit 25 -30 minutes before shooting clear and allowed 10-15 minutes between color coats,then it's the clear. But regardless where it's coming from,you have to let it breathe for a week before any material is going to be applied over it. I strongly advise to wait and then shoot more clear.As long as your base is on nice and even without blotches and mottling ,that's all you need. Buy slowest hardener for the clear.That way it will flow out much nicer and will allow solvents to escape before hardening up

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

1BAD68

Yes I sprayed thin coats of base because of the metallic and let it sit 10 minutes between each coat. Then I waited almost 2 hours before clear, then 2 thin coats with 10 minutes between. Halfway through the 3rd coat of clear I realized that I needed to slow the gun movement way down to let the clear flow. So basically there is one full wet coat of clear which was the last coat.
Thanks for the advice. I have a friend that can spray in his booth, the problem is the booth is enormous for spraying semi trailers and my garage probably has less dust in it..

elitecustombody

Prep it and have your friend come over and shoot few coats of clear ,but get the slowest hardener for the clear this time

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

1BAD68

Decided I had enough of this project for awhile. So instead of spraying again I just sanded it down quick to 1500 and then buffed.
The solvent pop left little crater's so it really needs to be sanded and cleared again but it's kind of a good thing because I'm a little disappointed in the color.
This silver is cool up close but otherwise it just basically looks gray. So I'm thinking next winter when the engine is out, I'll add some bigger flake to the clear or maybe tint it?
But for now I'm just going to enjoy it the rest of the summer.

7chargers

I think it looks really good considering you did it yourself. I'm sure you learned alot during the process to make it alittle nice next time. Some chrome rims with that Silver and I think the color will grown on you. Nice to see another good looking Wisconsin Charger!  :2thumbs: :cheers:

Dino

I know your tired of it, been there and done that many times but think this through.  You will feel just the same when you start it in the winter.  I would sit down, have a cold beer and go for it.  Sand it down and start over, it won't be nearly as much work as it was before or as it will be later.  You won't regret it.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Charger-Bodie

It will be better for all of the solvents etc to escape from the finish before you add more to it anyway. A few months will be gone before you know it.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Patronus

I too, :rotz: been there.. Going to re shoot all the cars at some point. Where is that point anyway? Body work looks good.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

hemi-hampton

Some advise, Next time don't use a high solids clear. You'll find it lays down much better. :Twocents: :Twocents: LEON.

1BAD68

I want to thank everyone on here that offered their advice on my project  :cheers:
Took the Charger to a Fathers day "Wings & Wheels" show today and got a lot of really nice compliments on the car.
It's not perfect but I must say the body is really straight (at least it looks that way to me) and the color looks way better in person.
Here's a couple pictures from the show.

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Patronus

Looks good mang! Enjoy it..  :coolgleamA:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

nvrbdn

nice job. in the last pic it looked like you added cop lights. :smilielol:  it displays great. pat yourself on the back. :yesnod:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

lexxman

superbirdtom

Quote from: 1BAD68 on June 17, 2012, 04:32:41 PM
I want to thank everyone on here that offered their advice on my project  :cheers:
Took the Charger to a Fathers day "Wings & Wheels" show today and got a lot of really nice compliments on the car.
It's not perfect but I must say the body is really straight (at least it looks that way to me) and the color looks way better in person.
Here's a couple pictures from the show.

looks go  enjoy it  adn think how  muc youve learned  and have the title of true hobbyest doing it all yourself.

AirborneSilva

Wow, if that was your first attempt at blocking and painting you should be proud of yourself, looks good  :2thumbs:  Now come help me do mine  :icon_smile_big:

doitmopar

It looks like you're a natural :2thumbs:

69finder

I think you did a great job.  At least you are out enjoying your car!  At some time you have to draw the line!

I was going to suggest 1200 DA (I've saved a few clears like that) but now, I wouldn't touch it!  Drive it! :)  Very jealous btw!

cdr

from the pics i think you did a great job  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

69DodgeCharger

Hey, that car looks pretty good from where I am sitting. I also have a similar problem, way way to much clear on the car. overall the paint was pretty poor with spotting, striping and water spots (I should have painted it myself!) but until I can afford to repaint it I am just going to try and wet sand the clear and buff it and make do with the results. The car was painted on 9-10-11. For the next 3-4 weeks I pushed it out into the sun and let it bake every chance possible. It has since been sitting in my garage untouched. My question is with so much clear on the car, and after sitting that long what would be the best grit paper for wet sanding it? I am familiar with the process involved from my time working at the body shop. This car is purely for my driving enjoyment and will never be entered into any car show so it doesn't need to be "show quality" Just looking for some experienced advice on how to proceed from here. I would post pics but the car is "buried" behind a mountain of other stuff in my garage. Thanks in advance for any advice!
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

73charger440

There's some really useful info in this tread.your car looks great,question about the 3M guide stuff with the weird applicator .I like the way it looked on your car .I could see the low spots.were you able to see high spots with that stuff?and also were do you find sand paper 16 inchs long?

73charger440

Cooter

Bottom line is this.....YOU sprayed that car and did the block sanding...Job VERY well done indeed. Looks a million. All those late nights with sore arms from blocking paid off bro.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

NHCharger

Quote from: 73charger440 on August 16, 2012, 09:27:36 PM
and also were do you find sand paper 16 inchs long?

I get a lot of my supplies through Eastwood. The local paint shop wanted $62.00 for the same roll of sandpaper.

http://www.eastwood.com/autobody/sandpaper.html
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

NHCharger

Quote from: 73charger440 on August 16, 2012, 09:27:36 PM
.I could see the low spots.were you able to see high spots with that stuff?

The guide coat is used to highlight the low spots. THe high spots will appear as you sand with the long block because you will take all the primer off the high spots exposing the metal. Block sanding is an art which I have yet to master.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel