News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Block sanding question

Started by 1BAD68, February 20, 2012, 09:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

Quote from: 69DodgeCharger on August 16, 2012, 06:28:06 PM
Hey, that car looks pretty good from where I am sitting. I also have a similar problem, way way to much clear on the car. overall the paint was pretty poor with spotting, striping and water spots (I should have painted it myself!) but until I can afford to repaint it I am just going to try and wet sand the clear and buff it and make do with the results. The car was painted on 9-10-11. For the next 3-4 weeks I pushed it out into the sun and let it bake every chance possible. It has since been sitting in my garage untouched. My question is with so much clear on the car, and after sitting that long what would be the best grit paper for wet sanding it? I am familiar with the process involved from my time working at the body shop. This car is purely for my driving enjoyment and will never be entered into any car show so it doesn't need to be "show quality" Just looking for some experienced advice on how to proceed from here. I would post pics but the car is "buried" behind a mountain of other stuff in my garage. Thanks in advance for any advice!

I like to start with 1000 wet, & gradually work up to 3000. I still have some 4000 which REALLY makes buffing a breeze. DA color sanding systems have been out for a while, I have yet to use one so I stick to the old tried-n-true wet sand with a block method. Wrapping the paper around a medium sized squeegee also works well.
After the initial cut with 1000, I'll go panel by panel & give it a once over with a buffer & a medium cut compound. For me, this does two things. It shows me if there are any spots that need further sanding or other imperfections removed and, makes for easier sanding with the subsequent further fine grits. Going now to 1500 you're basically just sanding the paint smoother rather than trying to remove 1000 grit scratches. From there I save any further compounding until I complete it with 3000. So, my buffing steps look like this: 1000 wet, quick once over with compound, 1500, 2000, 3000, 4000 (if necessary), compound, glaze, polish/wax.
Finishing it off with 3000/4000 REALLY makes life easier when doing your compounding. You're no longer trying to remove sand scratches, but just bringing back gloss. Greatly reduces buffing time & edge or corner burn through's.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce