News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Block sanding question

Started by 1BAD68, February 20, 2012, 09:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger-Bodie

Mainstream body shops dont seem to grasp the benifits of Poly surfacer on a resto project. Epoxy it,the poly surfacer. Make sure the epoxy is dried thuroughly though before sparaying poly.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

AirborneSilva

I've been following this thread and I gotta say I appreciate all the helpful tips and advice.  I hope to start doing panels on my Charger fairly soon.  Thanks again guys  :cheers:

E5 Charger

I love this thread. It's great to hear from painters that work with the stuff, instead of salesman selling it. One question, how long can a panel sprayed with epoxy primer sit without paint before rust would set in?

bill440rt

Quote from: E5 Charger on March 12, 2012, 07:17:35 PM
I love this thread. It's great to hear from painters that work with the stuff, instead of salesman selling it. One question, how long can a panel sprayed with epoxy primer sit without paint before rust would set in?

It depends what elements it is exposed to. In a dry garage, probably a very long time. Sitting out in the driveway, not so long.
My car sat for almost a year while I was doing body work on it in epoxy primer, but it was in a garage.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

E5 Charger

It's in a garage. Good to know, thanks.

elitecustombody

Quote from: E5 Charger on March 12, 2012, 07:17:35 PM

It could take few years depending on how thick epoxy was sprayed for rust to start and mostly on sharp corners and edges that are prone to wear .But whatever you do,make sure your air supply is dry when applying epoxy on bare metal. :Twocents:

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

Dino

This may have been mentioned but at this time I'm way too lazy to read three pages.   :icon_smile_big:

When sadning, be it by hand or machine, never ever put more pressure on the panel thatn you have to.  Let the sandpaper do the work.
I mention this because I used to train the newcomers in the shop and every single one of them pushed down fairly hard on the block or da sander, or a sheet of sandpaper for that matter and it's a bad habit to correct.
This is a problem especially on the newer cars which have flimsy sheet metal, a Charger is more like sanding a tank but still, keep it light and keep it moving.   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

1BAD68

Got a question...
On the upper quarter above the wheel well, I can feel a dip in the panel (see picture, red line is exaggerated).
I've been using my 16" wood block but am I better off using a flexible block. The wood block doesn't seem to be working due to the curves running vertical and horizontal or am I doing it wrong?

This is the block I'm using

AmadeusCharger500

are you using the block side to side using the 2.5 inch path or up down using the 11 inch path? I did it wrong way for so long I was slightly embarrassed at myself.

Dino

Quote from: 1BAD68 on March 13, 2012, 12:47:42 PM
Got a question...
On the upper quarter above the wheel well, I can feel a dip in the panel (see picture, red line is exaggerated).
I've been using my 16" wood block but am I better off using a flexible block. The wood block doesn't seem to be working due to the curves running vertical and horizontal or am I doing it wrong?

This is the block I'm using

Both blocks work but the flexible will be a bit more forgiving.  Try to do an x pattern as much as possible and again do not press down on the block anymore than you have to.  Don't sand back to front, go from upper left to lower right, then from upper right to lower left and get a groove going.  Also make sure to sand well outside the filler area.  You don't want to simply sand the filler spot alone, you want to blend it in with the rest of the panel.

1BAD68

Yup I've been working a X pattern and it has worked great everywhere but this spot.
Maybe I just need to build it up more and then work it down?

73rallye440magnum

That looks like a pretty sturdy wood block. If you're not careful you'll end up with flat spots. I like to use balsa wood. It's very flexible.

With a flexible block, rotate your sanding pattern 90 degrees, so the long part of the block is perpendicular to the floor. Sometime that helps block out the stubborn ones.
Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

Dino

Quote from: 1BAD68 on March 13, 2012, 01:57:22 PM
Yup I've been working a X pattern and it has worked great everywhere but this spot.

Looks good but I have a question.  Do you know what's under the filler?  Did you apply it?  Just wondering because if you still feel a dip it means the dent is probably still there, ie it's too deep to cover with filler.  If so I would remove the filler and work the metal a bit more.  If you can't get the panel straight with a few skim coats it means it needs more metal work.  If for whatever reason you cannot get the metal straight and you need more than 1/8" of filler then get some metal to metal type filler as it will hold up much better than the finish filler you're using.  Use a metal filler to fill the dents and the white finish filler on top of that, very thin skim coats.  Preference would be getting the metal straight though.

1BAD68

Yes I applied it and it's very thin right now, I'm guessing but right now it's about 1/32 of an inch maybe 1/16 at most. I thought I would probably make it worse pounding on it from inside.
Actually you can't feel it when running your hand horizontally, only when feeling up and down it's noticeable.
I'd probably just leave it alone because I'm not shooting for a perfect show finish, but this is in a extremely visible area.

Dino

Quote from: 1BAD68 on March 13, 2012, 02:41:42 PM
It's very thin right now and actually you can't feel it when running your hand horizontally, only when feeling up and down it's noticeable.
I'm guessing but right now the filler is about 1/32 of an inch maybe 1/16 at most.
Probably would just leave it alone because I'm not shooting for a perfect show finish, but this is in a extremely visible area.

Fair enough.
You may be feeling the wheel well lip on the quarter, the metal might be slightly stretched.  Keep sanding as you do and ignore that dip.  It may seem strange but it will tell you exactly how deep it is when everything else feels okay.  After you fix the dip, be it with more filler or a few taps with a hammer (it may not be an inward dent but an outward dent) you can skim coat it again and when you do make it so that you cover the entire area again.  Never do small filler spots, always go way bigger so you can keep the filler thin and perfectly feathered at the edges.

I hope I am making sense, it's really hard to explain.

1BAD68

Ok I had a breakthrough.
Using some old rubber snap together floor tile (the kind of stuff you see in kids play area's) I cut two strips and glued them together kind of like a Durablock.
Anyway's it worked 100% better on that problem area than my wood block which was basically a piece of oak from my kitchen remodel.

This also works great on really curved area's like the sail panel.
It bends just enough but not enough to be flimsy. I think I'll just go over the whole car again with this and see what happens.
I saw a Durablock this size at the paint store but thought I could get by without it. I guess they make them for a reason.

Dino

Good job!   :2thumbs:

If you like that then try this, get several sizes of rubber hose and wrap some sandpaper around it, instant all shapes, all sizes sander!  Semi rigid hose about the size of a radiator hose is perfect for those self stick longblock sandpaper sheets.  Get one small enough and you'll have the perfect sander for tricky spots like the connection between inner sail panels and dutchman panel.

NHCharger

Thanks for the replies Stefan and Bill :cheers: :cheers:
I stopped by and saw my body guy on Saturday. I told him I was conversing with you guys on body work and the majority here recommended epoxy primer first, then any filler followed by poly sealer. He said there's ten different ways to skin a cat. He's been doing body work for 30+ years, the last 20 he's owned his own shop, 90% of his work is restorations. He still recommends doing the body work and filler on bare metal. If my shop had any moisture issues (which it doesn't), he said he would epoxy prime first. He claims the only problems he's had has been customers not wanting to strip their cars to bare metal and wanting him to paint over the old paint. He stopped doing that years ago when he had a problem with "lifting" on a couple of cars.

I guess at this point I will continue to do it his way. He told me that if I was uneasy about doing the final base/clear application he would come over to my shop and do the finish paint for me. That sounded real good to me since I am real apprehensive about that stage.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Patronus

Quote from: Patronus on March 01, 2012, 06:10:38 PM
My favorite it the dura-block 1-3/8"x11" block-one end to the other-both straight and arched to the body. Over, and over, and over..... :icon_smile_blackeye: :icon_smile_blackeye:

:whistling:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

AirborneSilva

Quote from: Dino on March 13, 2012, 06:47:00 PM
Good job!   :2thumbs:

If you like that then try this, get several sizes of rubber hose and wrap some sandpaper around it, instant all shapes, all sizes sander!  Semi rigid hose about the size of a radiator hose is perfect for those self stick longblock sandpaper sheets.  Get one small enough and you'll have the perfect sander for tricky spots like the connection between inner sail panels and dutchman panel.

That's a great idea Dino, I'm gonna have to go to the auto store and get me some straight radiator hose.  I'll also use 1Bad68's idea too...  Thanks guys  :2thumbs:

1BAD68

Yeah thats a great idea, I tried some scrap hose laying around and it worked great 
Had another breakthrough.
This stuff I've been using called "glaze" that comes in sort of a tube like bottle and mixes with hardener would go on really thick, like filler out of the can and then take almost 24 hours to dry enough that it wouldn't plug up my sand paper.
It's suppose to be thin enough to fill scratches and very slight dings.
Basically I was putting it on and waiting till next day, then sand 95% of it off.
Then I found out that all these products have "batch numbers" which show the date they were made. turn's out the tube of glaze was from 2004!! (I just bought this from the paint shop last month)
Needless to say, I won't be buying from there anymore or taking there advice.
Found a different place and bought some "icing". It spreads really nice like warm butter and was ready to sand in 30 minutes without clogging my paper. This is making my life much easier, I got more done in two days with this stuff than I did in two weeks with the other crap.

1BAD68

After icing and blocking many many times I figure I'm at the stage where I can use some poly primer.
Go to the new paint place and they don't recommend using slick sand unless it's for fiberglass, like a corvette body even though they have it on the shelf.
But they recommended this stuff by Sherwin Williams called "Finish 1" its a DTM high build, I figured I'm done messing around and just bought a quart to try it.

It works pretty good and after reading about how the Evercoat stuff sets up really fast and can harden in the gun if you're not quick enough, I noticed this stuff was more like mixing and spraying regular primer.
I mixed up half a quart because I only wanted to spray the sides of my Charger, had some issues with my gun so it took way longer than I thought (almost 20 minutes to spray both sides) and sprayed two coats on each side but had no problems with it setting up in the gun.
Each coat is thin maybe somewhere around 2 mils so I ended up with about 4 mils per side but I spent so much time on this car already that this worked fine.
About 4 hours later I knocked it down with 120 grit which went very fast, probably could use 180-220 but I'm going to do this one or two more times with a final 400 grit sanding before sealer.

Dino

Priority 1:  Fix the gun so you can spray a light coat followed by 2 wet coats.  If it feels like you're spraying more air than primer it's going to bite you in the butt when it comes time to prep for topcoat.

What gun is it?

AirborneSilva

Quote from: Dino on March 30, 2012, 11:09:55 AM
  If it feels like you're spraying more air than primer it's going to bite you in the butt when it comes time to prep for topcoat.

Please explain.....

Dino

Quote from: AirborneSilva on March 30, 2012, 11:30:24 AM
Quote from: Dino on March 30, 2012, 11:09:55 AM
  If it feels like you're spraying more air than primer it's going to bite you in the butt when it comes time to prep for topcoat.

Please explain.....

The paint will come out coarse, almost gritty.  With a well working gun and the right paint viscosity you have full control over the thickness you want in a coat, you'll have good flow and you'll have normal gassing where the solvents evaporate.
When you have a lot of air but not a lot of paint come out it'll not only take a while to build up the paint to a sufficient thickness, it will also be a ton of dry coats instead of 2 or 3 wet flowing coats.  You lose adhesion between layers for one because in effect the last coat your spraying over is not sticky, but the real trouble is that you can end up with pinholes in the paint. 

If you spray a nice wet coat on a body panel and let it dry, it's very smooth and all is filled. With dry coats you don't get that, you may have to sand and reprimer several times for it to be a good sealing base to put your topcoat on.

I've seen too many people simply paint over the thin perforated primer and you can pick those out real easy a few weeks after because the topcoat as sagged into those pores and it looks pretty bad.

As with everything, you need to build up thin, wet layers.  A bad spraying gun is usually an easy, cheap fix but it's sometimes easier to ignore it and make the best of it, I've done it myself many years ago and paid the price.  The reason I try to help people with bodywork here is because I know what can go wrong and how to evade it.  It's hard enough as it is so if I can prevent people from making the same mistakes we all did then I'm glad.