News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

General Lee Charger Wall Shelf

Started by bill440rt, February 28, 2012, 12:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

I picked up one of those '69 Charger wall display shelves, they don't make a General Lee version so I did a little GL conversion on it myself. This is for my son's room.

I printed out a picture of the early version push bar kits that are available, and a little re-sizing on the printer copier gave me a correct size template to go by. I transferred it to cardboard to make templates. I recontoured the side supports so it matched the contour of the valance on the shelf.
Once I had the proper contour, I transferred the templates on to 3/16" masonite board. I used 1/2" copper tubing for the cross bars, 10" wide seemed to be the proper width & looked in scale.

I installed the tubes in the side supports with epoxy (I left it unfinished to simulate the "welds"), and black plastic plugs on the ends. Sanded, primed, & painted it black. It mounts with little angle brackets & it's light enough to attach with simple double-side tape so it can still be removed to convert back to a "regular" Charger shelf.

Came out pretty cool. I'll be hanging this on his wall tonite, so I'll post some pics of it on the wall.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

Here's two more.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

model maker

OUTSTANDING IDEA & WORK bill440rt :2thumbs: :2thumbs: What do you do for a living, must be an design engineer or something, that looks perfect. I was going to buy 2 of those on charger and 1 70 challenger. I was going to repaint the red charger with citron yellow and put the tip of the DMCL black stripe on it. Your son is going to really enjoy that, Great job !
Bert
MODEL MAKER

resq302

Bill, where did you find that!  That is awesome!!!!!   Nice work as always!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Aero426

They sell them through genuinehotrod.com    Item SBL-7580-102   $74.95

Mikesmoparperformance

Awesome i love it! Can you make more of that pushbar looks  great! :cheers:
MOPAR OR NO CAR

1966 Dodge Charger 383 CI

bill440rt

Quote from: Aero426 on February 28, 2012, 01:00:04 PM
They sell them through genuinehotrod.com    Item SBL-7580-102   $74.95

Yeah Brian (resq), there are lots of places that sell the Charger wall shelf, they have other designs too like the Challenger, Super Bee, etc.
I found them priced anywhere from $75 bucks up to $95. Aero426 is spot on, Genuine Hot Rod (aka Summit Racing) had the lowest price I found as well at $75, I purchased it thru Summit Racing off eBay. The push bar was made up from stuff I had around the house, just had to buy the plastic end plugs which I found at Lowe's.

Quote from: model maker on February 28, 2012, 12:49:21 PM
OUTSTANDING IDEA & WORK bill440rt :2thumbs: :2thumbs: What do you do for a living, must be an design engineer or something, that looks perfect. I was going to buy 2 of those on charger and 1 70 challenger. I was going to repaint the red charger with citron yellow and put the tip of the DMCL black stripe on it. Your son is going to really enjoy that, Great job !
Bert

Thanks, Bert! A DMCL Charger would be awesome!! Or maybe a Death Proof one, too!  :yesnod:
I'm not a design engineer or anything, maybe I'd be better off though if I was. Let's just say my job is detail oriented.  :2thumbs:

Ghoste

Great work and clearly inspiring too.  I have one of those shelves as a stock unit but it may need some customizing now after seeing that. 

Just 6T9 CHGR

That is F$^*^in awesome!!!  Puts my "stock" one to shame!!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Darkman

That's not the correct push bar, so it's not a General Lee  :nana:

Seriously, though, great work (I can sniff a little side work coming up for you!)  :2thumbs:
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

JT01

AWESOME work i want to get one now.

freddyd02

bill440rt

Quote from: Darkman on February 28, 2012, 05:28:08 PM
That's not the correct push bar, so it's not a General Lee  :nana:

Seriously, though, great work (I can sniff a little side work coming up for you!)  :2thumbs:

Dude, c'mon. It's a SHELF. Are you a purist or something?  :icon_smile_wink:  :icon_smile_wink: :rofl: :poke:

Actually, I used pics from the GL wide bar kit that's out there to make the templates. (But seriously, thanks!) :2thumbs:

I got it mounted on his wall tonite. His smile was priceless!
I put a GL model on it temporarily, to give an idea of size.

ChgrSteve67

BananaDan

Nice work Bill.  I would have sh*t myself if I had that as a kid.  The 8 year-old inside me is very jealous.  You didn't paint the walls orange and do a confederate flag border across the top?  (Don't tell Mrs. Bill I said that.)   :D
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

cavemanno1

Looks great Bill,nice work!  :2thumbs: you are the Daddy!

bill440rt

Quote from: BananaDan on February 28, 2012, 11:04:53 PM
Nice work Bill.  I would have sh*t myself if I had that as a kid.  The 8 year-old inside me is very jealous.  You didn't paint the walls orange and do a confederate flag border across the top?  (Don't tell Mrs. Bill I said that.)   :D

:smilielol:
Walls are tan, figured it would go good with the orange.  :scratchchin:  No border, but I got away with a flag on the ceiling.  :icon_smile_big:   And then the bullhorns, wall decals,...  :D
Stop by when you're in the area, Dan. Have beer. Bring ribs!  :rofl: :cheers:

projectanimal

That is AWESOME Bill!!   :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:
will have to look up a nice 70' shelf for over the tool box in the garage!!!   :cheers:
northwest CT

JT01

That push bar looks better and more correct than some of the junk General Lees you see for sale on ebay. Looks just like the later season push bars looks great on the wall.

1969chargerrtse

Looks great! I think I'm gonna get one but I'm spraying the grille the correct black, not crazy about the incorrect silver.
Do they come in Red or orange?  Is there just one maker?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

bakerhillpins

Hey, that came out GREAT!   :coolgleamA:  Wonderful Dad you are.  :cheers:

Now all you need is a battery operated horn to hide behind it with a push button to play dixie.  :lol:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Skyview69

:2thumbs:  That is cool...I have an old grill and that is exactly what I wanted to do with it!  I can't find any junk fenders to cut up though...  anyone have any  :scratchchin:

Fred

Now that is really cool, looks great. Anything for our kids

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Dilberts69Charger

Finally saw ths on here Bill, absolutely awesome...you know Im going to have to buy one now and do the same, right? (Wish I could lie and say it was for the kid...)

- Joe D :2thumbs:

BrianShaughnessy

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.