News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

smell fuel, but no visable leaks

Started by General Ryan, August 04, 2005, 11:52:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General Ryan

While driving or for a short time after shutting of engine, I can smell fuel, not all the time, mostly when cold.
I've checked ALL rubber lines and looked under the car while running and see NO visable leaks anywhere, but also have no vapor seporator, just fuel line to the pump then to the filter and then the carb.
My fuel return line has a short rubber line and its blocked off with a bolt and hose clamp.

Could this be the cause??
If so, how do I remedy this, I have heard of fuel filters with 2 ins and 1 out but don't know where to get them or if that'll solve the problem.

Any advice is appreciated,
Thanks,
Ryan

clausoe

I had this problem and it turned out to be where the fuel return was supposed to enter the filler tube. Just like you my fuel return is removed, and in my case it was cut off inside the trunk by the filler tube so when it was hot the tank breathed vapor into the trunk. I solved it by useing fuel hose on this pipe and directing it to let the tank breath under the car away from any openings.

Hope this was understandable ;)

General Ryan

it is, but could someone post a pic of the "vent" on the filler neck, as I believe to have the exact situation