News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 motor/car/motorhome

Started by 11skeets11, March 01, 2012, 02:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11skeets11

Am i correct on this from what i hear,,,,a 440 motor from a car is different than a 440 out of a motor home ?? what are the differences if someone can help me out,,,,,,power,,,oil pan ??????  and so one

thanks guys

Troy

Not always? Depends on the year and size of motor home. The oil pan will almost definitely be different - but that's an easy fix. Some motor homes had extra cooling passages in the heads which required a special water pump and some other junk. None of this *should* be used in a car and it's easy to spot when checking out the engine. More than likely, the motor home will be post 1972 when engines were detuned for emissions and crummy gas (440s came in trucks and motor homes through 1978). Even with that, motor home engines will be built for low end torque. The cam and compression will certainly be different than any performance car. If you're rebuilding then it won't matter as most of these parts will get replaced.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Cooter

I have a 1976 440 out of a car ran when pulled if interested...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Chryco Psycho

The oil pan & front pulleys are generally different for car applications

Cooter

Here you go 11skeets11, as you didn't provide an E-mail in your profile.

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

ACUDANUT

Here we go again.  Bad choice of engine. :Twocents:  Low compression. You will need: different exhaust, oil pan and pick up tube and motor mounts. Yes sometimes and a different water pump, belts and hoses.  It can be done, but your not gaining much in HP.  Find a 383 or 440 out of a 68-71 Car.

11skeets11

thanks for all the info guys,,,,i just got a 70 383

b5blue

Good choice build it right! (Get a Mopar guy/machine shop!)  :2thumbs:

mcain

I have a 440 from a truck with the extra cooling.. had it rebuilt so performance is not an issue but the heads are at a different angle than a standard 440.. not sure if its just this particular engine but I had to bang some flat spots in my brand new headers to clear the steering box and starter.. I hear the extra cooling is a definite plus (have not started my engine up yet) but if I had to do it over again would not have gone with it....

ACUDANUT

" truck heads are at a different angle than regular 440's" ??? Sorry, but you are VERY wrong. The angle of the heads are the same.  Headers are always a pain in the hinney. 

mcain

thanks.. thats what I was told when I had asked the question.. sorry must have got bad advice..

Chryco Psycho

The 440 motorhome engines are fine as cores but you need to build them , they usually have higher decks .050 or .100 so even with high comp pistons hey still have low comp , the decks have to be milled off but this will allow controlling the compression exactly , the extra cooling passages do not cause a problem . Obviously you need to change oil pan , exhaust manifolds to fit a car & cam & pistons etc to make power .

Some of the larger motorhomes had a totally different engine , the water pump bolts directly onto the heads & block , the heads are unique more like the poly heads from the outside , you can use the block but the heads are not usable in car applications .