News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona clone or leave it be?

Started by Indygenerallee, March 02, 2012, 10:29:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indygenerallee

I am currently building my 69 Charger and have always wanted a General Lee and I have everything to make it a General Lee, Anyway I have always been hardcore Mopar guy and have always loved the Daytona and Superbirds well I see myself now looking here and there for Daytona conversions pieces, I for one just bought a set of AMD front fenders so I would have to sell those and buy a good 70 fenders and hood, as well as figure out thetrunk lid and rear window plug as I have been told a Vega rear hatch will work, I saw Stinger fiberglass make a nose,tail,latch tray,scoops, nose under pan, fender extensions for about $2400.00, I don't know if the factory trunk lid can be cut down as finding a nice 500 decklid would be cost prohibitive! Just thought it might be cool to roll around in a Daytona as dad drove one back in 71 for awhile (was a car that was on my grandfathers dealership lot!) any opinions would be appreciated, If I did go the Daytona clone route my 69's original color is a bright red (don't know the code) had white interior with a black vinyl top, So I would most likely go back with those colors with the exception being black interior and black tail stripe, Like I said this has been something that has been a thought pulling me in a direction I had not intended but I don't think any of us ever go through that!! :icon_smile_big:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Troy

Add about $20k (or more) to the cost of doing a GL (depending on who is doing the body work). If the price doesn't scare you then build what you want. No one makes repro 70 fenders or hoods and finding originals isn't easy. The Stinger parts will need work to fit right. The stock trunk lid can be converted (that's how Creative did the originals). You can use a Vega hatch for the plug but they aren't exactly easy to find either. Make sure you get the trim!

If you've always wanted a GL then why change your mind in mid-build? Bad idea! Besides, if you've never built a car from the ground up I'd stick with the easier option. ;) My opinion these days is that I'd rather have a finished car on the road than a never-ending project. These all take a lot more time and effort than planned - but you can guarantee the extra amount of work for a Daytona clone will be massive. I currently have 3 projects in process and 3 drivable cars that keep needing more money so I'm becoming very sensitive about changing plans and how it affects everything else.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

I agree with Troy, you need to decide which of the two beats stronger for you.  When you hit the frustrated stage of the redo these things will be bigger hurdles.

Indygenerallee

Well I have only had the car a year and yes I really want a General Lee and was just kind of thinking out loud! :icon_smile_big: I am not too worried about fab work I am ASE/ I-CAR certified and I have built plenty of cars, (quite a few Import fiberglass body kits as well for customers) finishing up a 72 Dart swinger right now, Here are some pics of the Charger as it is right now just test fitted the quarters last week.
100_0885 by indygenerallee1, on Flickr
100_0884 by indygenerallee1, on Flickr

charger_fan_4ever

I wouldn't restore another 70 just because you can't find a good front clip at a decent price. Shipping a used hood forget it $$$$. Anything i did come across was deep on the other side of the border. Took a year and a half to get a drivers fender. Looked good in primer no patches. Once stripped the whole fender is warped. Someone must have sandblasted the whole thing  and warped it/pounded it in and puttied it. Will be an expensive fender once done. $550 plus many hours of bodywork.

You even have a general lee on the wall ;-)

Troy

Well that helps. Even without the labor you'll still have a bunch of money in parts and a lot of time in tracking them down. You have all the GL stuff now so you're ready to go. Get that thing on the road!

I like them both but the one you can drive sooner is the best.

Troy

Indygenerallee

Yeah all of you make valid points I guess seeing the auction for all those Daytona parts and knowing I have a good 69 Charger kind of piqued my interest going that way! Here is the auction with pics of the fiberglass http://www.ebay.com/itm/140713526221?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

BigBlockSam

it's worth the trouble when you have a daytona replica done. a daytona replica is a lot rarer then a gl. :Twocents:

the only thing i would use from stinger is there nose and headlight doors . there wing sucks. it's  one piece  :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Indygenerallee

Bigblocksam, Your right on the money alot of people can build a General Lee but not everyone can build a Daytona, and also the value of the Daytona clone if I had to sell it I have a feeling would be considerably more than a General Lee, One quick question for you Daytona guys is the regular "rear filler panel" on a Daytona a different structrual piece? I don't think I have ever seen pics of the area under the rear plug and how the inner structure attatches to the pinchweld area on the plug anybody have any??

UFO

Easy solution!
Finish the General then build another as a Daytona clone.

Cooter

Wing cars whether real or Tributes, are like 426 Hemi engines, while they are fun to look at and bench race till your little heart is content, but they are expensive to buy and build....

Stick with the General Lee. You will NOT be sorry at the attention it brings over a Daytona. The Daytona attracts a certain attention from certain folks...The General Lee just simply Attracts attention period..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Troy

You're asking in the Aero section so most people here will be biased BUT not everyone wants to build a Daytona. It isn't just a matter of skill or money - although the Daytona (if done correctly) take a lot more of both.

Of course, not everyone wants a GL either...

Those who are partial to the real thing (either one) won't really care that you're building a replica/clone because it will always be a copy at best. Both will attract a lot of attention but more people will recognize and relate to the GL. The Daytona has the potential to be a lot more expensive to fix once you bash the nose into something because you can't tell where it ends. Build whatever you want most.

There are lots of pictures in this section covering the plug area and all that goes with it. Yes, the filler is specific to the Daytona (has to be to match the deck lid).

Troy

oldcarnut

Hmmm so can't decide a GL or a Daytona :shruggy:,  Is there another Duketona sequel in the works  :lol:? j/k :stirthepot:
Anyway there are several parts source threads in here to check out and some of whats involved if you get some time to check them out.

hemi68charger

Holy Cow !!!  How's it going with this project? How are the panels fitting? I'm afraid when it's all said and done, I may have to go this route on my '69 Charger 500 and would LOVE to do it myself...  Doesn't the rear trunk floor pan need to go in before the taillamp panel is installed? (of course, I'm assuming you're either using a full floor or the taillamp panel isn't welded in yet...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

mauve66

i agree on the one that gets you on the road faster.  I knew what i wanted from the first day i bought it but only did a little at a time trying to get it to the dream or "my vision" as the wife puts it, now 19 years later (in May) its still not done, if i would of just left it stock with what i had i would of been driving it for the past 19 years
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

BigBlockSam

Quotethe filler is specific to the Daytona (has to be to match the deck lid).

for the filler panel we use 73 era charger dutchman panel. nothing fits 100% everything has to be adapted but i see you got the skills . i think a daytona is more rewarding to build . cause it's so much harder then a gl but very satisfying when done . some times i said to my self "what the f did i get myself into" . good thing is there's a lot of people here with the answers, when you get confused. this is the only pic i could find.  :cheers:

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Indygenerallee

Hemi68, Yeah those quarters I just hung on there and clamped the tail panel on the car just to test fit them and they do fit like a glove as I did not even need any clamps to hold them to the window pinchweld, I still have to blow everything apart again and sandblast the rear stub then epoxy it all, as far as the money issue what you see there I have a little over $10,000 bucks includes the purchase price of the complete 69 Charger and the AMD sheetmetal, If I did decide to go the Daytona route I could sell the new AMD fenders my complete grille (which I have seen go for around $1000) rust free original 69 Hood, original valance, I think I honestly could build a clone Daytona for around $25,000 total some of you might laugh at that but I do all my own work, mechnical, autobody, paint.
I think I will do a little more research on the subject before I decide, Bigblocksam where is your thread with those pics? Looks very interesting!

BigBlockSam

i can't find my old threads . my computer crashed and i lost all my bookmarks but i was thinking of starting a new thread with my daytona build from beginning to where i am now .i built mine for under $20.000 . including the cost of the 69 charger .

BigBlockSam

i built her with some help from my friends

Indygenerallee

BigBlockSam

vega hatch, glass and trim $200 

68 Bullitt Charger

IMO although the GL's are always great to look at, there are way too many clones. I think a nice Daytona would be not as common and will get almost the same attention. :yesnod:
Some of the Mopar Ride's in Stable.....
58 Pymouth Fury "Christine"
65 Ply Satellite 9.43@141 mph
58 Ply Fury "Christine"
64 40th anniv 880 Custom 383 Pwr Everything!

I'd rather be hated for the person I am, than be loved for the person I am not!!!!!!

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 02, 2012, 07:59:30 PM

Holy Cow !!!  How's it going with this project? How are the panels fitting? I'm afraid when it's all said and done, I may have to go this route on my '69 Charger 500 and would LOVE to do it myself...  Doesn't the rear trunk floor pan need to go in before the taillamp panel is installed? (of course, I'm assuming you're either using a full floor or the taillamp panel isn't welded in yet...

Just hold off a few more months Troy till I get my 70 r/t done. Then I can sell it and buy your C500  :drool5:

41husk

Quote from: Troy on March 02, 2012, 07:47:15 PM
You're asking in the Aero section so most people here will be biased BUT not everyone wants to build a Daytona. It isn't just a matter of skill or money - although the Daytona (if done correctly) take a lot more of both.

Of course, not everyone wants a GL either...

Those who are partial to the real thing (either one) won't really care that you're building a replica/clone because it will always be a copy at best. Both will attract a lot of attention but more people will recognize and relate to the GL. The Daytona has the potential to be a lot more expensive to fix once you bash the nose into something because you can't tell where it ends. Build whatever you want most.

There are lots of pictures in this section covering the plug area and all that goes with it. Yes, the filler is specific to the Daytona (has to be to match the deck lid).

Troy

I Agree but if you are building or buying to please anyone but yourself you will ultimatly be unhappy :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up