News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona clone or leave it be?

Started by Indygenerallee, March 02, 2012, 10:29:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBlockSam

Quotesmilielol smilielol   he has lost the car

:slap: the car's not here it at Jacks . plus the roof chrome is off the car . i'm trying to get it ready for paint before winter gets in but i have a pic some where in my computer  :slap: :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hotrod98

I bought a set of Larry's a pillar trims when I built Allen's car. They were great. I have an extra set of originals around here somewhere and they don't fit much better in my opinion.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Indygenerallee

Well a member has a brand new pair of Eric Nelson made A pillar trim and I am going that route as he gave me a deal on them!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

moparstuart

Quote from: Indygenerallee on July 15, 2012, 10:10:05 PM
Well a member has a brand new pair of Eric Nelson made A pillar trim and I am going that route as he gave me a deal on them!
i have a set of both  eriks fit a little better but are alot thinner and not as bright of a shine on them as larry's
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Indygenerallee

Well I have been trying to track down some wheels and with info from Higbanked hauler, and some other research I called Stockton wheel today, They said they could get me a plain Mopar steel wheel 15x10 with a 4" backspacing if they reversed the rim itself at $190.00 each in bare steel! Seems a touch pricey but I want the thing to look like a Nascar Daytona so it looks like I will probably go this route, the guy I talked to said they would use the later Mopar plain steel wheels that they are different and have a "flair"?? IDK what he was referring to but he said he would e-mail me a pic. I need to find a set of 275/60/15's I would love to find a set of Goodyears with the white lettering but everywhere I have looked it looks like Goodyear has about disco'd white letter tires in that size, Drag radials were blackwall only.. Oh well something else to search for!!! :lol:

cdr

Quote from: Indygenerallee on July 16, 2012, 01:07:11 PM
Well I have been trying to track down some wheels and with info from Higbanked hauler, and some other research I called Stockton wheel today, They said they could get me a plain Mopar steel wheel 15x10 with a 4" backspacing if they reversed the rim itself at $190.00 each in bare steel! Seems a touch pricey but I want the thing to look like a Nascar Daytona so it looks like I will probably go this route, the guy I talked to said they would use the later Mopar plain steel wheels that they are different and have a "flair"?? IDK what he was referring to but he said he would e-mail me a pic. I need to find a set of 275/60/15's I would love to find a set of Goodyears with the white lettering but everywhere I have looked it looks like Goodyear has about disco'd white letter tires in that size, Drag radials were blackwall only.. Oh well something else to search for!!! :lol:
its gonna need 5 inch back spacing   5.25 would be better
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Indygenerallee

Highbanked Hauler is running 15x10's on his 500 all the way around and he said his has 4" backspacing he said the rim almost rubs the upper A arm, and he runs them on the rear also, The wheel arches will be modded to Nascar Daytona style anyway!  :icon_smile_big:

Highbanked Hauler

GoodYear still makes white letter stock car tires  but you wouldn't want them for the street.  I have seen  white tire paint but I don't know how good it is.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Indygenerallee on July 16, 2012, 01:39:42 PM
Highbanked Hauler is running 15x10's on his 500 all the way around and he said his has 4" backspacing he said the rim almost rubs the upper A arm, and he runs them on the rear also, The wheel arches will be modded to Nascar Daytona style anyway!  :icon_smile_big:

I would be concerned about the stock  center thickness of the wheel on a 10 in rim.  My centers are a 1/4 thick and welded all the way around..   HOWIE  I think it is on here  has a set of old stocker wheels..
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

moparstuart

How about these , they are aluminum  and a 98 only f150 nascar edition truck only wheel
 black 10 windows  with a red pin stripe , they are 16 inch  .  I always thought they would look great on a race clone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSfdCpF8WBQ

i see them out there used for about 100 each 

Indygenerallee

Yeah, The centers Stockton wheel use to reverse the standard steel Mopar wheel are the later style and don't look real hot IMO, I did find these wheels from Diamond racing wheels and they have a couple selections that are DOT approved and are really reasonable on prices I talked to the lady and she said the 15x10 in 4" backspacing for the stock car round or "D" style was $87.50 each. Here is a link http://diamondracingwheels.com/trucker.html

cdr

Quote from: Indygenerallee on July 16, 2012, 01:39:42 PM
any pics of his car,i looked on here but could not find any
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Highbanked Hauler

The only difference between street and race wheels that I know of is the chamfer on the bolt holes. Street wheels are 60 degrees and race wheels are 45 degrees so I am told.. Maybe there are others but thats all that I know of.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Indygenerallee

I was told DOT rims have a "safety bead" Basically keeping the bead seated in a blowout (what difference that makes IDK!?) But for insurance and liability I would rather use a DOT approved rim, I would hate to total the car from a wheel failure and loose all insurance replacement coverage.  :Twocents:

hotrod98

True stock car wheels are made from much softer steel. They don't like potholes.  I like that you're going a little different on the wheel choice.
I've decided to put my 17" Centerline billets back on the Superbird. Just looks so boring with the Rallyes. Aso thinking about putting Black Ice decals back on the quarter panels but in satin black instead of white like they were back in the day.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Indygenerallee

Larry, Yes I have kicked it around and I have looked at one too many vintage Nascar Daytona pictures and just love the look of big tires all the way around! Gonna look killer and in a crowd of Daytona's I will be able to pick mine out in a instant!

Aero426

This is the period "Clement" wheel that is now again available.   The Beinekes run them on their 1971 Daytona and Superbird race cars.   

Aero426

Compared to a real GN style wheel, the ones on this F150 look like, well...  truck wheels.   

Don't put truck wheels on your wing car!    :lol:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=89467.0;attach=178194;image

moparstuart

Quote from: Aero426 on July 17, 2012, 08:42:19 AM
Compared to a real GN style wheel, the ones on this F150 look like, well...  truck wheels.   

Don't put truck wheels on your wing car!    :lol:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=89467.0;attach=178194;image
I thought they looked good and a cheap alternative   :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:

Highbanked Hauler

If  Gary and Pam are running those wheels at 200 MPH they have got to be "round".   I have a set of BARTs from Summit in  99 after the wreck and you can't go over 50 with them because it will shake the hell out of the car because the runout is so bad.  The no name wheels  I have now are marginal at best. :smilielol:
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Aero426

Gary did initially encounter an out of round problem a year or so ago and that BART made it right.     BART has just made a new die stamp to accomodate a race quality thickness steel.   Gary told me in April that the latest wheels "balanced out beautifully" and that in his words, "they are great".     

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Aero426 on July 17, 2012, 08:39:40 AM
This is the period "Clement" wheel that is now again available.   The Beinekes run them on their 1971 Daytona and Superbird race cars.   

Any part number on those as I can't find that style. :shruggy:
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Aero426

You have to call Rick Clement.    I don't think they are advertised on the site.    Tell him you heard about the wheels from Gary. 

Indygenerallee

I like those wheels!!! Much better than the "D" or circle styles!!!

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Indygenerallee on July 17, 2012, 06:42:52 PM
I like those wheels!!! Much better than the "D" or circle styles!!!

Same here, we'll need a part number and a supplier  :2thumbs: Wonder if they have the 5/8 holes as mine do.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser