News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Professional Athletes

Started by Blown70, August 04, 2005, 11:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blown70

I am a bit ticked off as of late with the attiude of 7 million a year is not enough and I need to do what is right by my family attitude.  This is T.O. in particular.  What 50 years ago players had to have jobs and did it for the love of sport.

Now,  I do not mind these guys making a good pay day.  In most cases they, to a point, have earned it but  Seeing all of the hold outs for football in the news and online, in my opinion is COMPLETE BS.  Ohh I am not showing up because I want to negotiate my 5.32 million I am supposed to make this year.

I personlly have not watched a full Professional game at all last year and dont think I will make a point to do so this year.  I am tired of all the BS these athletes are allowed to do.   Heck what is a league minium....500,000? 

NHL, NBA ect.  I am tired of pro sports, Have they all lost the meaning of the sport.

I would rather watch college or HS sports at this point.

BLOWN70

Charger4404spd

Same here. I have never watched pro sports. Bunch of whineyazz babies. :bawling:
Wonder how many "Great Athletes" would still play for $20 an hour?

4402tuff4u

I agree, it is alot of money, however you have to look at it in their point of view. The whole industry of professional sports has high salaries because they sell products and seats at sport events. Also if you were putting your career in line of possibly getting hurt, like tearing a tendon or a muscle or worse breaking something like your back, you would probably want to get paid that salary for the risk of loosing your career for good. Also their sport career life is short. Once they reach the mid 30's they are done. Again, I agree with you all these high salaries make you sick. The salaries and bonuses for CEO's can make you even more ill. These blue chip company CEO's have all sorts of bonuses, stock options and high salaries in the millions. Again, if you or I were in their shoes we would probably become greedy as them. Money is never enough!   
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Blown70

Yes, I do agree to a point in my first post I do agree they do to a POINT deserve a good pay day.  However,  7 mill.  And then not show to camp like some of these guys.  THAT IS BS.   Or what did Shaq just sign.  They will never see my butt in a seat unless the ticket is free even then I will pay to watch a college game first.

I really do not think I personally would be wanting more than 7 mill a year......... I love money and all but wow......Of couse I could buy a few HEMI cars with that.... :icon_smile_cool:

Charger_Fan

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on August 04, 2005, 12:54:51 PM
Also if you were putting your career in line of possibly getting hurt, like tearing a tendon or a muscle or worse breaking something like your back, you would probably want to get paid that salary for the risk of loosing your career for good.      
I agree with your main statement.
The only rebuttal I have is that Olympic athletes put their careers on the line & don't get 1/50th as much money thrown at them as professional athletes do. The Olympic folks are still in it for the gusto & not the money, IMO.

I don't attend games either.
The only ones I've attended were ones I got free tickets for.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

4402tuff4u

I think Olympic rules do not allow athlete to be paid. But I'm pretty sure that the agents do follow them with tempting deals, etc.
It just makes you sick because these professional players are worried of getting hurt and ending their career, but meanwhile we have soldiers, cops, firemen, fisherman and other dangerous careers and occupations that you might lose your life and they don't make a fraction of what these players do.  :flame:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Old Moparz

$20 per hour? I'd play baseball for free. Of course I wouldn't have any money for steroids.  ::)
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

41husk

Olympic rules have Changed we can now use pro athletes.  As far salaries as long as people pay for the tickets and put there buts in the seats, the athletes will demand and receive rediculous salaries.  Look at Hockey declining ticket sales cost them a fortune in that strike, that and the owners having the balls to say we just won't have hockey.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Charger_Fan

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on August 04, 2005, 01:20:37 PM
It just makes you sick because these professional players are worried of getting hurt and ending their career, but meanwhile we have soldiers, cops, firemen, fisherman and other dangerous careers and occupations that you might lose your life and they don't make a fraction of what these players do.   :flame:
:iagree:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Charger4404spd

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on August 04, 2005, 12:54:51 PM
I agree, it is alot of money, however you have to look at it in their point of view. The whole industry of professional sports has high salaries because they sell products and seats at sport events. Also if you were putting your career in line of possibly getting hurt, like tearing a tendon or a muscle or worse breaking something like your back, you would probably want to get paid that salary for the risk of loosing your career for good. Also their sport career life is short. Once they reach the mid 30's they are done. Again, I agree with you all these high salaries make you sick. The salaries and bonuses for CEO's can make you even more ill. These blue chip company CEO's have all sorts of bonuses, stock options and high salaries in the millions. Again, if you or I were in their shoes we would probably become greedy as them. Money is never enough!     

Ahhh come on now. ALOT of people put their lives on the line with their career. Policeman, fireman, bank robbers and even tele-marketers. Hell around here, you put your life on the line everytime you drive on the public roads! :icon_smile_big:

Telvis

I don't give a crap about pro sports and all the overpaid idiot athletes. Nascar of course excluded.  If pro football, basketball and baseball were erased off the planet I wouldn't lose any sleep. Too much drama for me.

NHCharger

Quote from: Telvis on August 04, 2005, 04:16:38 PM
I don't give a crap about pro sports and all the overpaid idiot athletes. Nascar of course excluded.  If pro football, basketball and baseball were erased off the planet I wouldn't lose any sleep. Too much drama for me.

:iagree: :iagree:

I have not watched a pro sports in over 12 years. When Ricky Hendersen started whining back in 91 about "why should I dive for a ground ball, I'm only making 3 mill a year", meanwhile I was endanger of losing my house because of the recession.

Last year Latrell Spreewell (basketball) complained he couldn't support his family on only 14 million a year. Wish I had that problem. :eyes:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Charger_Fan

I'm fine with that too...as long as women's volleyball & nude oil wrestling doesn't go.   :D

tomonty

QuoteLast year Latrell Spreewell (basketball) complained he couldn't support his family on only 14 million a year. Wish I had that problem.

That's because he has about 8 kids from 8 different women.

Most of these pro athletes demand high salaries because they know that after they get done they are pretty much are screwed because they don't know how to do anything but play sports. I quit watching baseball after the strike several years ago and have never gone back. I hate the NBA, College basketball rules, and I still love football. College a little bit more than the pros, but I still love the Packers.
It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. - H.L. Mencken

Charger4404spd

Quote from: tomonty on August 04, 2005, 05:14:18 PM
QuoteLast year Latrell Spreewell (basketball) complained he couldn't support his family on only 14 million a year. Wish I had that problem.

Most of these pro athletes demand high salaries because they know that after they get done they are pretty much are screwed because they don't know how to do anything but play sports. I quit watching baseball after the strike several years ago and have never gone back. I hate the NBA, College basketball rules, and I still love football. College a little bit more than the pros, but I still love the Packers.

99% of the players have a college degree.............let'em get a real job!

Quote from: Charger4404spd on August 04, 2005, 05:25:08 PM

Have you seen what kind of degrees they have?  Their "degree" is only worth the paper it's printed on.  Some of the college players have classes like Basketball 101.  They even have tests with questions like how many points for a free throw or how many points for a 3 pointer.  Other classes they take are basket weaving and fly fishing.  I'm not making this crap up, my ex girlfriend took both of these classes.  Bottom line is the players have about the same IQ as mayonnaise.  Very few could use their degrees or even hold down a steady blue collar job.
When I was just a very young lad I looked up and told my dad, a bareback rider's what I wanna be.  I want the whole world to know about me.  In the rodeo arena I'll make my stand.  I wanna be a rodeo man.  I'll come flyin' from the chute with my spurs up high, chaps and boots reachin' for the sky.  Spurin' wild with my head throwed back, you'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.  You'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.

Charger4404spd

Quote from: 253862656971 on August 04, 2005, 06:07:25 PM
Quote from: Charger4404spd on August 04, 2005, 05:25:08 PM

Have you seen what kind of degrees they have?   Their "degree" is only worth the paper it's printed on.   Some of the college players have classes like Basketball 101.   They even have tests with questions like how many points for a free throw or how many points for a 3 pointer.   Other classes they take are basket weaving and fly fishing.   I'm not making this crap up, my ex girlfriend took both of these classes.   Bottom line is the players have about the same IQ as mayonnaise.   Very few could use their degrees or even hold down a steady blue collar job.

Haha, well I dont doubt that, but McDonald's or Wal_Mart doesn't require a degree.

FastbackJon

I quit following pro sports at age 14 back in about 1998. I got into Mopars!
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

RD

I don't give a crap about pro sports and all the overpaid idiot athletes. Nascar of course excluded.   If pro football, basketball and baseball were erased off the planet I wouldn't lose any sleep. Too much drama for me.

totally agree!!!

except for dc.com fantasy football.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Lowprofile

I don't give a crap about pro sports and all the overpaid idiot athletes. Nascar of course excluded. If pro football, basketball and baseball were erased off the planet I wouldn't lose any sleep. Too much drama for me.

I couldn't Agree with you more.  :iagree: :2thumbs:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Bluebeast

1970 Dodge Charger 500 SE 4speed

Dans 68

The biggest problem I have with professional athletes is when they sign a contract and then want to break it. Drives me fricken crazy!! Honor what you said you would do, not only because it is legally binding but because you gave your word. T.O. is a prime example of a child in a man's body...not a clue on what his word is worth.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Blown70

This is what REALLY pisses me off.  YOU HAVE A VERY GOOD CONTRACT..... But I dont like it as I am only going to make what 7 mill for 7 years.... I believe is contract was 48.6 million.....WTF.........I am sorry your word is your word and you signed the thing right HERE

NOW GET TO PLAYING

I personally think the NFL teams and owners need to let these guys sit an NO ONE sign them LET them come begging for their job back....then give them a leauge minimum....

ALSO start putting NO SHOW to training camp clause that DOCKS THE PAY BIG TIME...... DOCK THEM 1 million per day not at CAMP..

I will say that for EVERY T.O.  TRUST ME someone could step up and play if need be....
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhh  NOW I AM IN A BAD MOOD

BLOWN70

muscle4me33

This is all why people like to watch college better. Pro Basketball, without question, is the biggest joke to me.  :rotz: but uh, baseball can stay. Even though they get paid a lot, baseball is a love to many including myself, and im not paying them - I get to watch them on tv. I think that it is unfair to say that doctors who save lives have uncompairable salaries when it comes to pro players. -shrugs- 
AND.. not ALL college players have dumb degrees.. some are very intelligent and go on to play sports and then get out and have a nice career. EX: Tim Green.
"You should enter a ballpark the way you enter a church." - Bill Lee

Geordie

"Have you seen what kind of degrees they have?  Their "degree" is only worth the paper it's printed on.  Some of the college players have classes like Basketball 101.  They even have tests with questions like how many points for a free throw or how many points for a 3 pointer.  Other classes they take are basket weaving and fly fishing.  I'm not making this crap up, my ex girlfriend took both of these classes.  Bottom line is the players have about the same IQ as mayonnaise.  Very few could use their degrees or even hold down a steady blue collar job."

253862656971,That is a very delayed arguement. If you don't know from experience you should not make judgement on these college athletes. I agree that some courses are basket weaving and so forth, but a lot of these athletes are accomplishing real degrees that they can take into the outside world and be very productive. I have numerous friends on hockey scholarships down in the states and they're programs are the like of commerce, journalism and science majors. You are generally saying that all athletes are dumb and they are only in school because of the sport they play. That is pure ignorance. Unless you have concrete facts, they'res no need to make assumptions. Clearly you weren't lucky enough to recieve athleticism and brains 253862656971.