News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

after engine break in

Started by charger01, March 13, 2012, 06:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger01

I had to change the plugs in my 69 after initial break in, but now after I have put only a couple of hundred miles on the car.  It is running rough again.  Is it normal to change plugs often after a break in or other ignition parts?  If so what?

Chryco Psycho

No , if the engine is tuned correctly the plugs should last
are they black / fouled , What brand are you using ? I have found NGK to be the worst for failing to fire .If the plugs are black you need to tune the carb .
The cheapest plugs work best so I use Champion or Autolite .
Make sure the gap is correct in the dist as well , if it is electronic it needs to be around .008

firefighter3931

If the plugs are fouling that fast you have a weak ignition system, plugs that are too cold for the application or a carburator that is jetted too fat.

I've allways had great success with NGK plugs. If you have iron heads and run it on pump gas the XR5 is an excellent plug.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

charger01

Iam running champion plugs gapped at .035 I believe.  Iam running the mopar electronic ignition.  The plugs and gap settings are set at factory specs. I should gap them at .008 using the mopar electronic ignition box?

terrible one

Quote from: charger01 on March 13, 2012, 11:24:32 PM
Iam running champion plugs gapped at .035 I believe.  Iam running the mopar electronic ignition.  The plugs and gap settings are set at factory specs. I should gap them at .008 using the mopar electronic ignition box?

No your plug gap is about right in my opinion, Chryco was referring to the gap between the reluctor and magnetic pickup inside the distributor.

charger01

Hmm , well I hear so much about faulty ballast resistors.  When they go bad does the car misfire or just not start?

Chryco Psycho

either , usually they will not start at all though
Plug gap should be .035 - .040
gap in the dist should be .008

charger01

How would the car react if possibly the rockers were not all adjusted properly.  maybe some too tight?  would this cause the motor to shake and run poorly?

Chryco Psycho

if you have adjustable rockers then yes adjusting too tight will not allow the vale to close fully

charger01

Are they adjusted with the car running?  I have heard different ways???

Chryco Psycho

solid or hyd cam ?
generally no you adjust them with the engine not running , turn the adjuster down approx 1 turn from loose for hyd cams , you need to be sure you are on the back side of the cam lobe so adjust with the cyl at TDC firing or the better way is to adjust the intake valve as the exhaust opens & adjust the exhaust as the intake closes

charger01

It's hydraulic with crane cam roller rockers.  It just seemed to run better before I had the heads redone is why I kinda suspect this. Just Leary of messing anything up if it isn't the problem?