News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How does a standard roll bar mount?

Started by Wakko, August 04, 2005, 01:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakko

I was thinking about installing a roll bar (real one) into my car but bolted in to the floor.  I'd like to have shoulder harness capability and this seems like the only way to do it.  Do there have to be tubes going through the back seat for this?  How heavy a gauge of steel is necessary?  Any suggestions?
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Chryco Psycho

to be legal at a race track [drag strip ] the roll bar has to be .130 wall tube & has to be welded to a 6" sq plate bolted through the floor with a 6" plate under the floor as well  , the rear bars Have to be installed to create a triangle so the main hoop will not fold down on you , you can run the rear bars over the seat & through the speaker holes & mount them to plates on the frame rails  in circle track racing the tube requirements are less , I believe approx .100 wall tube , either will help in a roll over & if you are not track racing it it really doesn`t matter what you use , using exhaust tube is Not recommended though  ::) Yes I have seen it done

firefighter3931

I bought a kit from S&W racing with the "prostreet" rear bar option. The rear bars follow along the roofline/interior sail panel and enter the trunk through the package tray....pretty slick and clean installation. I had the front bars custom bent to facilitate easy access into the front seats. The 45* down bars go through the floorpans and are welded onto the subframe connecters. All the other mounting points are as Chryco described....6x6 plate top and bottom bolted together. Bolting through the floorpans is actually stronger because welding weakens the sheetmetal. This bar is legal down to 10.00 flat...anything going faster requires a full cage.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Wakko

I MIGHT take the car down the track once and it will certainly never be a sub 13 (maybe 14?) second car so the cage isn't required.  My thought was just to give me a mounting crossbar for a shoulder belt or 5 point harness.  I'm thinking if I just bolt the bar down and don't use the triangle braces it'll be acceptable  (if not pass tech).    Thoughts?
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

morepower

what do you need to be legal to 10.99? 4 pt?> 6 pt?
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

firefighter3931

Quote from: morepower on August 06, 2005, 04:26:54 PM
what do you need to be legal to 10.99? 4 pt?> 6 pt?

Anything faster than 11.49 requires a bar. Between 11.49 and 10.00 the requirement is the same....6pt minimum with driveshaft loop, overflow can etc... When you drop below 10 flat it's a whole new ballgame with a 10 pt cage and even more safety equipment. It's all spelled out in detail in the rulebook.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs