News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Classic Car insurance?

Started by 7chargers, March 12, 2012, 03:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7chargers

Shopping around for classic car insurance, I recived a quote from Hagery which I have heard nothing but good things but before I go with them I fiqured I would see who you all recomend? I belive the quote from Hagerty for my 69 charger and 68 coronet was around 325 for the year?

ODZKing

Hagerty, with roadside.  It's good for all your other cars as well, classic or not.   :Twocents:

moparstuart

Here is who i have with Road side TLC PLATINUM service ,  Its $ 321.00 a year for  55 k agreed valve on the birdible .

496 Kings Highway North - P.O. Box 8343 - Cherry Hill, NJ 08002-0343
Telephone: (856) 779-7212 - 1 (800) 360-2277 - Fax (856) 779-7289
www.AmericanCollectors.com

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

ITSA426

I've got Hagerty's.   I had one claim and they treated me very well.  I'd recommend them.

I don't have roadside but carry AAA plus.  They've always provided a flatbed truck when asked.

Memphis Mopar

I have Hagerty with roadside.

ChgrSteve67

I have Hagerty and AAA for roadside.
My daily drivers are insured with AAA

bobs66440

Hagerty and they are awesome!  :2thumbs:

The premium roadside, as mentioned, covers all your cars.

7chargers

Thank you for all the responses, hagerty comes highly recommended...

model maker

This is a topic i was going to start in another post however i can ask it here. How does this insurance work ? I have AAA for my 2003 GMC Sierra 4 X 4 and my 1989 Plymouth horizon ( horizon has 53,000 original miles ) as it was my wifes grandmothers car and she could no longer drive and she scraped up & dented  the passenger side on both doors  so we took it. Back to my question, If I were to buy a Charger i would insure it through a classic car ins. co. Does your coverage for your muscle car just cover replacement of the car or repairs to the car OR, are you also covered by liability  through the classic car insurer ?
Bert
MODEL MAKER

bill440rt

I have American Collector's. Had to put only two claims in with them over the past few decades. They were excellent.
Their policies (depending on your options) include liability, collision, comprehensive, and also towing, roadside assistance, spare parts, and in some cases lodging and car show expense reimbursement.

Look into several companies and speak to one of their advisors. Many times they'll give you an quote over the phone based on agreed value. Some may ask for photos.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

TXcharger70

I just enrolled with American Collectors and I am very happy with there service and they were cheaper than Hagerty. Very easy to deal with.  I also have the TLC platinum roadside assistance

1BAD68

I have Hagerty as well (7 years) with the roadside thing.
Has anyone had to use the roadside assistance? If so, how did it go?

model maker

I know an insurance company like AAA probably will not do an "agreed value" type of policy so collectors car insurance is the way to go then ? How is the liability side of collector car insurance companies compared to regular insurance coverage by AAA or other mainstream insurance companies ? does anyone have their collector car insured for liability by 1 ins. company & actual agreed value for damage or theft of the collector car by a collector car insurer  ?
MODEL MAKER

MoparMotel

I've got American Collectors. Really good rates, I wanna say it's like $200 a year for my '68
1968 Dodge Charger

GULFGLENY

Ive had Haggerty for 10 years, road side is great, they have affiliates all over to tow your car or truck from any location, and the response was great.

Charger4404spd

BananaDan

I have Grundy.  They came highly recommended and quoted cheaper than Hagerty.  I have not had to file a claim with them yet, so no experience there.  Similar advise to the above people, get quotes from multiple places and make an informed decision.

http://www.grundy.com/
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

bill440rt

Quote from: MoparMotel on March 13, 2012, 06:53:43 PM
I've got American Collectors. Really good rates, I wanna say it's like $200 a year for my '68

The only time their rates really spike up is if your car has a policy for "modified". My '69 is insured as a modified car, so the rate is almost double.  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

model maker

What do they consider modified ? What kinds of rules do the majority of collector car insurers have such as miles driven per year, daily driver,   garaged, etc. ? do they also cover the liability full coverage or do you get thst from your other vehicle insurer ?
Bert
MODEL MAKER

Brock Lee

Hagerty here. I had one claim, they paid quickly and with no problems. A buddy had a car stolen, they cut him a check for the full insured value in 3 weeks.

Another buddy I have gets lots of speeding tickets. Hagerty dropped him and he ended up going with Grundy. He is happy with them so far. 

bill440rt

Quote from: model maker on March 13, 2012, 11:57:15 PM
What do they consider modified ? What kinds of rules do the majority of collector car insurers have such as miles driven per year, daily driver,   garaged, etc. ? do they also cover the liability full coverage or do you get thst from your other vehicle insurer ?
Bert

They had two types of policies: one for stock cars, the other for modifieds (street rods, customs, pro street, etc). Which policy is up to you, I did it at my discretion due to the modifications done to my car. A true street rod or lead sled, etc would most likely automatically be placed under a modified policy. I would think "common" modifications such as wheels/tires, cam, headers, etc would still be placed under stock. With a growing trend on modified cars, many classic insurance carriers have these types of policies now.
Most carriers require that the vehicle is garaged. Each car has a 5000 mile limit per year, but you might be able to change that depending on the carrier.
Your best bet is to contact some of these companies (Hagerty, American Collectors, Grundy, JC Taylor, etc), talk to an advisor, and review their policies before making a decision on which coverage is best for you. Many of their policies can be custom tailored to suit your needs.

model maker

With the older cars it may be easier to get past that 5000 mile limit with a speedodometer disconnect unlike the new cars where doing that leaves traces.
MODEL MAKER

resq302

I have Hagerty as well.  Two claims in over the 12 yrs we have had them.  One was for when my charger fell off of our 4 post lift when I was redoing the front suspension (had a check within the week!) and second incident was two years ago when I hit a turkey (yes they fly) and they replaced my windshield no questions.  Now recently I had to call them again due to seeing about adding Liability coverage for my charger being used for a movie and they added the addendum to the policy with no problems.  This way the car is covered for whoever is driving it and whatever might occur on the set.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

model maker

It sounds like they are pretty easy to work with, a lot of ins. companies would probably be more difficult especially with the movie deal.
MODEL MAKER

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: bill440rt on March 13, 2012, 01:08:48 PM
I have American Collector's. Had to put only two claims in with them over the past few decades. They were excellent.
Their policies (depending on your options) include liability, collision, comprehensive, and also towing, roadside assistance, spare parts, and in some cases lodging and car show expense reimbursement.

Look into several companies and speak to one of their advisors. Many times they'll give you an quote over the phone based on agreed value. Some may ask for photos.

ACI for me as well for the past 15 years & no issues
Chris' '69 Charger R/T