News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Killing off lean burn

Started by moparguy01, March 17, 2012, 11:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparguy01

On the 78 new yorker I picked up, it still has lean burn there and somewhat working.
What I am trying to decide is if it is better to do the electronic ignition swap, or just swap it out for a msd box.

Can anyone explain the process of putting the standard electronic ignition in? What wiring needs to be changed?

Thanks everyone

Kern Dog

Some may like the MSD setup, but it seems to me that unless you are stepping up to a rebuild or something that deviates from stock, stick with the factory stuff. I run a 493 in the Charger with the Mopar Performance electronic ignition. Its reliable and parts are easy to find. There may be SOME gains for me with an MSD, but I don't feel the need to spend $300 or more for 3 horsepower.

Budnicks

you can buy a Chrysler Electronic Conversion with distributor & a harness to adabt your current system, Mancini Racing sells them with the a new CEI distributor, orange HP ECU box & harness for $229.95, the electronic voltage regulator & 4 pin ballast resister are extra... This may help some...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Stretch

Petronx is another cheep, simple, and stone reliable option.

The Mopar electronic set up is cheep, easy, and reliable too. All the parts are a simple salvage yard trip away. No need to spend 3 bills at mancini. Most good auto supply store have or can order the "repair" harness for the voltage regulator and the "repair" harness for the module. All you need at that point is The wireing diagram, some wire, and a 4 wire ballast resistor.
I may be schizophrenic but at least I have us!