News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

5.9 mag, EFI into 72 charger. 1st hurdle. EFI wiring harness. Pics, not soon.

Started by XXSpiralXX, March 13, 2012, 01:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XXSpiralXX

Okay this is going to be a really slow thread guys, but I have to start somewhere. Im taking out the entire engine harness from the 98 grand cherokee to put into my 72 charger that way I can run the factory efi. The goal here is to save the money otherwise spent on an aftermarket efi system.  THe first problem I have is how to remove the harness from the firewall in the jeep ? I was told I should cut it then rewire it into the fuze block later. Seriously? I figured that would be disaster as I have NO IDEA what im doing with the wiring.  Is there a way to disconnect it it all in one piece? I already have the computer out, and so far everything is still hooked up to the motor, that way I can tell what goes where. I havent had the time to label everything yet. The parts jeep has to go out ASAP so I will try to label it all later.

Also, what should I keep from the engine bay and what should go? I dont need all the emissions stuff as the car will be exempt but what would cause the engine not to run if eliminated? :shruggy: Stuff like the ABs sensors and whatnot you know? Ill post some pics of my progress as I have the time.

Rolling_Thunder

If it is free - take everything that connects to the harness - sort out what you need later. Next find a factory wiring diagram for your Jeep so you can post it and we can tell you what you need / don't need.    I would NEVER cut the wiring harness. It can be removed in one piece - just need to disconnect stuff. You should also snag the OBDII connector and any other wiring that goes to the engine harness.     :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Budnicks

Try, www.mymopar.com , for the wire diagram/schematic, for your specific year of Jeep & Charger wiring, they may help some....
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Rolling_Thunder

Cooter

Most times, the ENGINE ONLY harness can be removed by itself, but be prepared to have to cut and LABEL a few wires as they go through the bulkhead and into another harness for things like Dash. A/C, etc.

This is why I'm running a Mustang GT Harness trying to do the same thing you are. I can't see $4K for EFI when the junkyards are littered with 'em.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Budnicks

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on March 15, 2012, 06:28:45 PM
nothing that new on mymopar.com      ---   

The Charger will be there but, your correct the list only goes from 55-76 for wiring schematics... Sorry for any confusion, maybe at www.fortruckonly.com/forums or www.DodgeDakota.com/forums , lots of truck guys over at www.forbbodiesonly.com , someone will have a good suggestion

XXSpiralXX

Okay, so I have to get the truck out of here by the middle of the week so I am just going to cut the harness at the firewall and then remove the interior harness seperately. I'll splice the two together later on.
 :hah: I called up Hotwires, and they told me that I wont be able to use the jeeps computer because it's set up for an automatic, and they can't reflash it, or program it to work behind a non computer controlled transmission or a manual. I have to go get a computer from a Ram that had a manual trans and the same motor, THEN have them reflash it.  :nana: Rrrgghhh.    
 As far as pics go, between my charger and the jeeps wiring I have a 1 gig card full of pics, but now my computer isn't recognizing the card  :shruggy: soooooooo when I sort that out you guys will get half a projects worth of pics all at once  :D
  Budnicks , thanks for the B bodies only link, good site !

SG1022

I'm definitely in for this one. Make sure to post your progress, and the answers you get! I am looking to do something similar soon.

XXSpiralXX

Engine harness removed from the jeep, now working on the dash harness. SOrry for taking so long so far lifes hurdles got in the way and Im no track star. I spoke to somebody in the local dodge dealership and he said I need to take the column too, because the ignition key and dash computer are required to make the engine run with the stock computer. THe more I look into this the more I realise I am going to have to find another computer. Once I do that I think I will be able to just use the connections to the motor and the OBDII port. It SHOULD work then with a computer reprogram. Damn camera card is still not working btw.

Rolling_Thunder

As far as I know the 98 did not have a security lock feature in the column...   The newer Jeeps, LX, and LY platforms do...      maybe the dealer guy was confused.    you should only need the PCM with a couple wires hooked up (12v, Ign, ground, fuel pump) to get the thing fired up.  :2thumbs:

Budnicks

Quote from: XXSpiralXX on March 25, 2012, 11:04:59 AM
 Okay, so I have to get the truck out of here by the middle of the week so I am just going to cut the harness at the firewall and then remove the interior harness seperately. I'll splice the two together later on.
 :hah: I called up Hotwires, and they told me that I wont be able to use the jeeps computer because it's set up for an automatic, and they can't reflash it, or program it to work behind a non computer controlled transmission or a manual. I have to go get a computer from a Ram that had a manual trans and the same motor, THEN have them reflash it.  :nana: Rrrgghhh.    
 As far as pics go, between my charger and the jeeps wiring I have a 1 gig card full of pics, but now my computer isn't recognizing the card  :shruggy: soooooooo when I sort that out you guys will get half a projects worth of pics all at once  :D
  Budnicks , thanks for the B bodies only link, good site !
xxspiralxx, your welcome there are some great guys/gals there too, very knowledgeable Mopar people...