News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

my next toy (sadly not a charger)

Started by chrisII, January 26, 2006, 07:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisII

found a sweet deal on this 74? duster. plum crazy with white top and stripes. int neads some attention and a color change (its beige  :icon_smile_dead: )  but bucket seats at least. floor pans are pretty good, but nead some work. but here are the good points, other than the bad patch job on the quarters (i see pop rivets in the trunk!) the rest of the body looks to be mostly solid. i figure 2 - 3 summers and it will nead  redoing. the sub frames are tied (pretty good job too), it has new rear ss type springs, AND (ok here is why im buying it) it has a 380hp magnum crate motor with new looking headers and full 2 1/2 exhaust w flowmasters, short shaft 4 speed with heavy duty clutch, and 8.75 posi 3.91 gears. i am already planing to go to 3.23 gears and may go to a 727 w man valve body as i really want to daily drive this in the summer. wont tell the price till after the deals done, but he offered to sell wo motor for 1500 wich i think is a fair price..if a couple sales im working on dont come through i will end up with it but not the engine.plans are to test drive early nxt week.

rare69

doesn't have to be a charger to be cool, but it sure helps. nice car.

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Mefirst

I dont get it, if the car is a 4spd why go through al the trouble to redo it to make it an auto trans ride?? Thats kinda dumb in my opinion..

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

694spdRT

I would suggest just finding a 833 OD 4 spd tranny out of a mid to late 70's Apsen/Volare with the short shaft and drop it in. That way you can keep the 3.91's and still cruise on the highway without a problem. You should check as it might even have one already. If not grab the bellhousing off the donor car too and the bearing retainer is larger on the OD unit. I would hope you get the crate engine too.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Johnny SixPack

Sweet score! :cheers:

I'd drive that in a heartbeat. :2thumbs:

Definitely agree that it's a d@mn cool car.  :yesnod: :icon_smile_cool:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

chrisII

Quote from: 694spdRT on January 27, 2006, 12:36:31 AM
I would suggest just finding a 833 OD 4 spd tranny out of a mid to late 70's Apsen/Volare with the short shaft and drop it in. That way you can keep the 3.91's and still cruise on the highway without a problem. You should check as it might even have one already. If not grab the bellhousing off the donor car too and the bearing retainer is larger on the OD unit. I would hope you get the crate engine too.

if im remembering correctly the OD trans is actually 1:1 in high but 1-3 are lower than the normal 4 speed. and high rear gears were used from the factory. im told its the std 4 speed currently. for a daily driver i prefer an auto, im not into pounding gears at 5:30 am on the way to work, or on the way home after wrenching on heavy trucks for 10 - 12 hours. the idea of an early 90s auto w OD did cross my mind. i have a friend who has a 340 dart with one and 3.91s he can run high 12s and get 20+ mpg going to the races with 4 people in the car. however with a 380 crate motor i think the od auto would nead beefing up. i do already have a 727 with rev manual valve body and a fresh overhaul that has neaded a home for so long i would have it pulled apart an re checked just to be sure its all good yet. either way the duster will make a good driver while the charger becomes dependable again. the duster does nead carpet, and a floor pan patch on the dr side. other than that i could run it as is. its prety much just a mater of geting the cash from the bank and doing the deal. i want the crate motor, he isnt really excited about selling the engine, he wants it for a street rod. i do have a runing 340 that was suposed to go in my charger for this summer. i may try to make a trade so i get the crate motor an he gets a street rod engine.

41husk

looks good!  I like the B and E body cars better but would definetly cruize in that and it sounds like a sweet deal.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

694spdRT

Quote from: chrisII on January 27, 2006, 03:28:00 AM
Quote from: 694spdRT on January 27, 2006, 12:36:31 AM

if im remembering correctly the OD trans is actually 1:1 in high but 1-3 are lower than the normal 4 speed. and high rear gears were used from the factory. im told its the std 4 speed currently. for a daily driver i prefer an auto, im not into pounding gears at 5:30 am on the way to work, or on the way home after wrenching on heavy trucks for 10 - 12 hours. the idea of an early 90s auto w OD did cross my mind. i have a friend who has a 340 dart with one and 3.91s he can run high 12s and get 20+ mpg going to the races with 4 people in the car. however with a 380 crate motor i think the od auto would nead beefing up. i do already have a 727 with rev manual valve body and a fresh overhaul that has neaded a home for so long i would have it pulled apart an re checked just to be sure its all good yet. either way the duster will make a good driver while the charger becomes dependable again. the duster does nead carpet, and a floor pan patch on the dr side. other than that i could run it as is. its prety much just a mater of geting the cash from the bank and doing the deal. i want the crate motor, he isnt really excited about selling the engine, he wants it for a street rod. i do have a runing 340 that was suposed to go in my charger for this summer. i may try to make a trade so i get the crate motor an he gets a street rod engine.

I like shifting. My evryday truck is a 5 speed and my diesel is a 6 speed. if you live with stop and go traffic I can see not wanting the stick.

As far as the 833 OD question. Chrysler flipped the 3-4 lever so 4th is actually 3rd and 3rd is overdrive. The overdrive gear is 0.73 to 1 and 3rd is 1 to 1. 1st gear is lower at 3.09 also. There is no need to run higher gears like 3.23 as a 3.91 would effectively be 2.85's in OD. Conversely with the lower first gear a 3.91 will launch like a gearset in the 4.50 range. I am putting one in my Challenger and plan on running a 3.55 rear.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

chrisII

not much stop n go driving ,the town i live in is only 22k people. im just not a huge fan of sticks. it currently has a hurst ratchet shifter in it that the current owner says is a pain to downshift and generaly not intended for daily use.. but its slick for racing. i dont plann to race this car much so that isnt an issue, but if i was going to race much a good auto is proven to be faster and more consistant.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Lowprofile

"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

chrisII

went an got a ride in it today ,didnt wana drive with the funny shifter and it was not running well due to a bad plug wire and the cold weather. everything seems fine with the car other than the misfire. and best of all , even running poorly this car will lay posi taking off in 3rd gear! (yeah ya gotta get the rpm up to launch in 3rd).he did launch it light one time an then got on it once it was moving so not to light em an holly cow!  :o  im going to the bank tomorow to do the final paper work, the banker already told me he doesnt suspect a problem. second option would be to get my dad to go 1/2 with me on it, and I KNOW he would. its a good investment and the 1 car he misses that he ever had was a 70 340 dart 4 speed. i get the feeling he would flat out LOVE this car.