News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

AC line - where does this go?

Started by 1971 GF7 RT, March 18, 2012, 08:41:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1971 GF7 RT

My 71 R/T has got AC, but none of the controls work. Looking under the dash, there's a vacuum line that is not plugged in to anything. It's a larger diameter than all the other vacuum lines, and it has a green stripe running down the length of it. I've looked around, but don't know where it should plug in to, and I'm thinking that this unplugged vacuum line is the reason that the controls don't work. Any thoughts / suggestions on where it goes?

On a couple other notes, in the vacuum line block ( the plastic thing where  the vacuum lines all join up ), there's one that is cut off and crimped shut, looks like a factory thing. Any idea what that is about ?
Last, the fan constantly blows at a low speed - changing the speed setting doesn't do anything, turning the AC/heater control to " off " doesn't do
anything either, just keeps blowing. Any thoughts on that?
I guess my biggest priority is to get the controls working again for now.
Thanks
1970 Dodge Challenger RT convertible 440-6 clone
1971 Dodge Charger RT - numbers matching
1973 Dodge Charger SE Brougham - numbers matching
1966 Ford Mustang convertible - numbers matching ( wife's car )

71_Charger_R/T

The vacuum line with the green tracer feeds vacuum to the unit. You need to look at the back of the controls, you'll see a round protrusion with two nipples on it (bottom one should be occupied) the empty nipple (top one) is where the hose goes.

here's a picture that will hopefully help....

As for the blower not changing....... not sure what to say on that. The resistor block would be my guess as to why it doesn't change from low to high but it should turn the fan off if you go to "off" on the mode control (not the fan switch).

71_Charger_R/T

1971 GF7 RT

That picture was worth 1000 words! You nailed it - the one place I didn't even think of looking. I mean I looked, but the angle was wrong and only showed me the hose going to the bottom nipple, which blocked my seeing the upper nipple. That did the trick - the control panel mostly works . Don't have defrost or heat yet, I imagine the door is sticky from non-use, but I've got vaccum to the control unit and that's what counts. Any suggestions on how to get the door working freely?
Anyway, thanks a bunch for your help!
Bob

PS Thanks for the compliment on the car!
1970 Dodge Challenger RT convertible 440-6 clone
1971 Dodge Charger RT - numbers matching
1973 Dodge Charger SE Brougham - numbers matching
1966 Ford Mustang convertible - numbers matching ( wife's car )