News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

NEW DAYTONA'S ? THE WAY IT WAS

Started by daytonalo, January 27, 2006, 03:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daytonalo

HERES SOME PICTURES THAT SOME MAY HAVE SEEN BEFORE, BUT HERE THEY ARE ANYWAY . I RECEIVED THESE PHOTOS FROM A CLOSE FRIEND , D.B .

Ghoste

Those are some cool pics.  It must have been fun loading those things onto the transport with that long nose and crappy rear field of vision.

69_500

I've always wondered about those pictures. Because for one, the 500's were supposed to be done and completed way before the Daytona's started. But there are quite a few 500's still in those yard pictures. I like how you can see Daytona's with their headlights already starting to raise up in the pictures too. Showing that they didn't stay down that well even when first done.

694spdRT

Quote from: 69_500 on January 27, 2006, 09:39:34 AM
I've always wondered about those pictures. Because for one, the 500's were supposed to be done and completed way before the Daytona's started. But there are quite a few 500's still in those yard pictures. I like how you can see Daytona's with their headlights already starting to raise up in the pictures too. Showing that they didn't stay down that well even when first done.

Are those actually 500's or just Daytona's in process of being converted?
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

daytonalo

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hemigeno

Yep, those are Daytonas-in-waiting.  They came to Creative Industries from Hamtramck with almost a full 69 front clip, headlight buckets & lamps, bumpers, etc. - just no grille.

Those pictures are also on the http://aerowarriors.com site, and I have them all on my harddrive.  Some Very cool stuff, for sure.

daytonalo, are those images from Greg Kwiatkowski's photo collection, or does someone else have the actual photos as well?

694spdRT

Wouldn't it be nice to find a stash of '69 front clips in an old storage building near where Creative Industires was.  :drool5:

1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

69_500

Gene look at the photo's again, they do have a grille. They have the 69 Charger 500 front grille.

I could be wrong but appears to be a Charger 500 grille right in the middle of the other cars in the fourth picture.

69_500

Also the ones in the first pic also appear to be 500's as well, as you can make out a bumper on them. If they were to be shipped without a front clip I"m guessing this would include a front bumper not being on them.

hemigeno

I bought some parts a couple of years ago from a guy who has lived in the Detroit area for a very long time.  He said that there were always guys back in the '70s selling Daytona parts from their basement, cash only, no questions asked.

Gee, I wonder where they got their stuff?   :scratchchin:

The decklid I have stashed away for use on my Daytona was supposedly a pull-off part from Creative, although there's no way to validate that.  I highly suspect any parts left around there disappeared ages ago.  Would be nice if they were, wouldn't it, Ty?

hemigeno

Danny, they did have bumpers on them.  It had something to do with certification of the cars to meet safety regulations before leaving the plant.  Of course, the bumpers were taken off.

Those pictures are not very clear, but you can see in the larger versions hosted elsewhere that there is not a C500 grille in the uncoverted cars.

hemigeno

If you go to the aerowarriors site, click on table of contents, then go to "A few Creative thoughts", there is a thumbnail pic down at the bottom of that page.

Click on that, and go to the bottom right corner, and make sure that it's enlarged all the way.

You can see that the headlight bulbs are set into the grille, as they are on a regular '69 Charger with its grille removed.

Sorta looks like a 500 though, you're right.

694spdRT

Quote from: hemigeno on January 27, 2006, 12:46:55 PM
The decklid I have stashed away for use on my Daytona was supposedly a pull-off part from Creative, although there's no way to validate that.  I highly suspect any parts left around there disappeared ages ago.  Would be nice if they were, wouldn't it, Ty?
Yes it would be very nice to find a bunch of take off parts for those "run of the mill" Charger guys like me.  :D

I bet there would be quite a demand by Daytona owners to have those parts reunited if for nothing more than conversation pieces.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

69_500

Thanks Gene, I hadn't ever went to their website to see the full versions of those pics. I had saved some grainy copies years ago from the net. And had always wondered why they had 500's with Daytona. I did also notice the other R/T that didn't even have a window plug in it too.

Ghoste

Quote from: hemigeno on January 27, 2006, 12:46:55 PM
I bought some parts a couple of years ago from a guy who has lived in the Detroit area for a very long time.  He said that there were always guys back in the '70s selling Daytona parts from their basement, cash only, no questions asked.

Back when they were doing the 71 Plymouth B-bodies in Windsor there were a lot of delas like that on Pistol Grip shifters and Slap Sticks.  They were often referred to as "lunchbox shifters".

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722