News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2nd gen tire iron color, black or grey?

Started by 1969chargerrtse, March 25, 2012, 06:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

My buddy has a handle for me for my car. He has owned many 2nd gens and tells me they were grey. Many times I see them black. What color do you have? Maybe 68 was grey and 69 black or both colors used. Here's a picture I found on our site. Looks original to me.

This could be like the tire thread I did. Most people thought only Good year spares were used, but after I posted an original Firestone we found out both types were used.

While were at it, does anyone reproduce the jack head bracket?  The bent metal piece welded to the jack head.  Only for the 2nd gen jacks.  I have a Mopar jack that is correct except for the bent metal piece.  Should be easy to make?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

resq302

pretty sure the jack handle / tire iron is semi flat black while the base and the jacking mechanism is a dove gray.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: resq302 on March 25, 2012, 08:22:51 PM
pretty sure the jack handle / tire iron is semi flat black while the base and the jacking mechanism is a dove gray.

Thats all Ive seen....for '69 anyway
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

1969chargerrtse

My buddy says grey and there's a grey one with a Charger jack in the pic. Interesting.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

gtx6970

Quote from: bill440rt on March 26, 2012, 07:28:24 AM
Mine were all black.

Never seen anything but black in anything muscle car years

1969chargerrtse

Gave my buddy a call. He has 2 68's 2 69's and a six pack auto 70. He says his jack has never been out of the car and is 100% original and ........... grey.  He did say he thought later 69s changed to black. Whatever.    So where are the grey owners here?

1969chargerrtse

OMG!!  Read this. I'm not home to copy and paste but this article  actually list " 68 69 Charger used a jack assy with a grey handle. "  Haha. Who would think that would be print worthy?

http://books.google.com/books?id=SUfwxG5O-uAC&pg=PA71&lpg=PA71&dq=1969+dodge+charger+trunk+jack&source=bl&ots=5B3gljeClr&sig=NeK8320w5ok0uO1nxaFpDsh37vY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=X59wT7jwLcnZ0QG9hIDTBg&ved=0CGcQ6AEwCDgK

1969chargerrtse

And heres a black one.   :eek2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apDOIYaoiFI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The one my friend has for me is grey and it's gonna be grey when it's in my trunk. It'll certainly match the grey base and jack head.

1969chargerrtse

So my buddy calls me. He dug out a correct tire iron and it's ........ Black. Ha.

bill440rt

Ah. The good ol' B-body Restorers Guide. Chock full of incorrect information.

:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: bill440rt on March 28, 2012, 10:37:42 AM

Not really true here. He has an original one in his car that is grey. The charger jack picture I posted is grey. Just that the spare he has for me is black. I guess they were both colors.

bill440rt

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 28, 2012, 03:11:20 PM

Not really true here. He has an original one in his car that is grey. The charger jack picture I posted is grey. Just that the spare he has for me is black. I guess they were both colors.

Wasn't really referring to the tire iron color per se, more so the book itself. It has inaccuracies. That is a fact.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: bill440rt on March 28, 2012, 06:42:42 PM

Wasn't really referring to the tire iron color per se, more so the book itself. It has inaccuracies. That is a fact.
Yeah I hear ya.

1969chargerrtse

Stopped at my buddies to get his grey crow bar for my car.  His un restored 68 has a grey bar and his 69 has a black bar.  He says he's seen both colors in a 69.  I'm doing mine black after all since most seem to be black.
Yes I told him his bars are in wrong.  He could care less, he says they don't rattle that way.

69 OUR/TEA

You're worried about the jack,the whole car is the wrong color !!!! :poke:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on April 02, 2012, 10:48:36 AM
Unless your giving me a painters special it'll be the wrong color as long as I own it. I try to correct the things I can. And if I was gonna have it painted, it would still be the wrong color. T5 white top and stripe. Oh yeah baby.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

:whistling:

Well, I guess you're going through a lot of trouble. Restoring & repainting inside the trunk, making sure the spare tire looks correct, & you obviously are worried about the correct color on the jack handle. Yet you don't care that the jack itself is incorrect??  :no: :sorry:

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 28, 2012, 07:17:33 PM

Does your buddy have anymore pics of that blue 68 he'd share?   I'm thinking of doing the exact same color scheme on mine but haven't seen one that color with a black top and the black stripe.   
Yeah I hear ya.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: bill440rt on April 02, 2012, 07:10:37 PM
:whistling:

Well, I guess you're going through a lot of trouble. Restoring & repainting inside the trunk, making sure the spare tire looks correct, & you obviously are worried about the correct color on the jack handle. Yet you don't care that the jack itself is incorrect??  :no: :sorry:
Why what's wrong with it?

Oh, the jack.  I care but I'm not paying those silly silly prices.  Nope.  :rotz:  I'd like to reproduce the flat steal part.  The jack I have looks like the original minus the special part.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on April 02, 2012, 09:49:48 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 28, 2012, 07:17:33 PM

Does your buddy have anymore pics of that blue 68 he'd share?   I'm thinking of doing the exact same color scheme on mine but haven't seen one that color with a black top and the black stripe.    
Yeah I hear ya.
What do you need?  I'll ask him when he's pulling it out or if he has anymore pics.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 02, 2012, 04:35:40 PM

Ouch!
And that coming from a friend.  Sad isn't it?  :'(

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 03, 2012, 05:56:26 AM

Ouch!
And that coming from a friend.  Sad isn't it?  :'(

not really...just F-in funny & on point!!  :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 03, 2012, 04:02:16 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 03, 2012, 05:56:26 AM

Ouch!
And that coming from a friend.  Sad isn't it?  :'(

not really...just F-in funny & on point!!  :cheers:
Spray painting a color on ones tire iron is a tad different than repainting a whole car, you two.    :blahblah:
Hmmmm. One of you also has a car the wrong color and puts lots of time getting other things correct. Just saying.   :icon_smile_big: