News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird / Daytona Clone versus original

Started by 70phoenix, March 27, 2012, 05:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70phoenix

I'm restoring a original Superbird. At one point, before Cuda's, Chargers, etc were considered collectables/valuable someone stripped my car of many of its superbird unique parts. I have managed to find most everything as far as original items that I was missing. However what I keep running into, and to me its quite annoying, is people building clone cars and snatching up the original parts to build clones.  Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against clones. However, how I look at it is a original Superbird should have a original hood, nose, rear wing, etc not be forced to use a fiberglass Ted Janek or Jack McGuaghey version because clones were built with the original parts making the original parts almost impossible to find. The reproduction stuff should be going on clones, not the original stuff. Anybody else agree ? Disagree ?

Indygenerallee

I agree with you but it's a free society and people can do with their money as they choose, is it the right choice? Almighty dollar rules all.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Troy

Perhaps you should be angry with the people who originally stripped your car? They're the ones with no respect for originality.

If your car was wrecked and the original parts were mangled then you'd have no choice but to replace them with something. Chrysler didn't make enough spares to last a lifetime though. While I know there certainly are original/NOS Superbird parts available, they are expensive! That's how the reproduction market got started. They didn't fire up a bunch of parts solely to make clones. Some of those guys with clones happened to have original parts laying around (that they collected when the cars were worth a lot less) so it wouldn't have made sense for them to spend money on reproductions. Plus, not all reproductions are very good - and the ones that are can be very expensive. So, if it costs more to use a reproduction then why not use original? I know Brian (1hotdaytona) has an original nose (or part of one) on his Daytona clone but it was a mangled mess that his father was able to pound back into shape.

While it would be great to have every rare car assembled with original parts... it ain't gonna happen. That's part of what separates the truly fine cars from the ones that aren't (originality or the desire for it).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

moparstuart

My car has all your parts on it  . made from all real superbird parts expect the wing backets and the wing washers ,  :icon_smile_big: :nana:    I also have many orginial ( though rough ) daytona parts to make a daytona clone someday .   I have been collection other people cast offs .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

69 DAYTONA

Quote from: moparstuart on March 27, 2012, 07:28:40 PM
My car has all your parts on it  

:icon_smile_big: :rofl: ;)

...I'll really whiz you off  :brickwall: :icon_smile_big:

...I used a REAL 1970 Road Runner conv....matching numbers car for my clone (drive train and front sheet metal etc. was all saved)

...a REAL Superbird wing, all original sheet metal, reproduction steel nose

...how many more decades should we wait for all the owners of original cars to get around to acquiring all the right parts, I'm so old now I don't buy green bananas :icon_smile_big:...in all honesty, the wing was one of the easiest parts to locate, the dirt common '70 Coronet hood was the most difficult

PS...I also own a real SBird and a real Daytona

montana bird

I think the rarity of the cars, and  parts, reflect why these cars comand the price. There are allot of orig parts on clones, and fiberglass parts on real birds. Kinda funny how that all works out. Its kinda like HP Speed is a question of cubic dollars, How fast to you want to GO :smilielol:

Indygenerallee

69 Daytona, Was that pic taken at the Indianapolis state fairgrounds? looks like it! I love that car I am gonna have to head your way one day and take a gander at it!!

69 DAYTONA

Quote from: Indygenerallee on March 27, 2012, 09:51:23 PM
69 Daytona, Was that pic taken at the Indianapolis state fairgrounds? looks like it! I love that car I am gonna have to head your way one day and take a gander at it!!

...yes

...you are welcome anytime

Daytona Guy

Quote from: 69 DAYTONA on March 27, 2012, 08:05:08 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on March 27, 2012, 07:28:40 PM
My car has all your parts on it  

PS...I also own a real SBird and a real Daytona

PS...You make me sick :)  in a good way

Dane

BIGBLCK11

Sorry to disagree.  But, if you put all original Superbird parts on a "clone", the only difference between it and a "real" one is the fender tag and vin.  I personally believe the only ones worth as much money as they bring, still have their "original" paint/parts and are true survivors.  I am sure plenty of people won't see it that way, but I do.  Yes, it wasn't ordered that way, but the car itself and all the parts were made by Mopar way back when, just assembled in a different configuration.  Clone, says fake to me, which they are not.  This does not include illegal tag swaps and representing them otherwise.  Unless you find the exact nose/wings/parts from your car, is it actually original at that point or a clone of itself?  Nothing personal, just my :Twocents:.

dreamcatcher

1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

DAY CLONA

Quote from: 70phoenix on March 27, 2012, 05:54:46 PM
I'm restoring a original Superbird. At one point, before Cuda's, Chargers, etc were considered collectables/valuable someone stripped my car of many of its superbird unique parts. I have managed to find most everything as far as original items that I was missing. However what I keep running into, and to me its quite annoying, is people building clone cars and snatching up the original parts to build clones.  Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against clones. However, how I look at it is a original Superbird should have a original hood, nose, rear wing, etc not be forced to use a fiberglass Ted Janek or Jack McGuaghey version because clones were built with the original parts making the original parts almost impossible to find. The reproduction stuff should be going on clones, not the original stuff. Anybody else agree ? Disagree ?

Seriously?.....that's the same kind of thinking from those that say,"only original cars should be restored with NOS sheetmetal or NOS parts, that it shouldn't be used on clones or modified vehicles".....they're all just machines, get over it, your car was "original" only once, unless it was stored in a bubble and never used,.....it's just a used car now, with used parts attached, nothing more, nothing less

69 DAYTONA

Quote from: BIGBLCK11 on March 27, 2012, 11:16:30 PM
Sorry to disagree.  But, if you put all original Superbird parts on a "clone", the only difference between it and a "real" one is the fender tag and vin.  I personally believe the only ones worth as much money as they bring, still have their "original" paint/parts and are true survivors.  I am sure plenty of people won't see it that way, but I do.  Yes, it wasn't ordered that way, but the car itself and all the parts were made by Mopar way back when, just assembled in a different configuration.  Clone, says fake to me, which they are not.  This does not include illegal tag swaps and representing them otherwise.  Unless you find the exact nose/wings/parts from your car, is it actually original at that point or a clone of itself?  Nothing personal, just my :Twocents:.

...my survivor Bird loaded up for a trip to my house...it's so original it still has all the scratches and dings from the last 40 years

41husk

Great shot 69 Daytona!  My clone has reproduction parts but if something happened to my car and real parts were available at the same or near the same price I would install them.  For what I have it insured for, if something happened to the clone I would probably pony up a little more cash and buy a real wing car :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

33yeartoy

:shruggy: divorce sale ?  there might be a couple wing cars and hemi,collection  for sale if she gets her way. going to look at today in badger state. all been appraissed last friday. :2thumbs:

Ghoste

Before the cars were collectibles, the parts weren't worth so much either.  A lot of the real parts you are talking about came off of cars when the car and parts were just old stuff.  I can't imagine too many of the modern clones are stripping real wing cars for their parts.  Now as for real parts they are buying today to use, if I were building a clone I cant say I would be so noble as to say well, I can't afford a real Daytona so on my clone I refuse to buy this real nosecone when there are repros.  I would buy the real part if I could afford it.
Soooooo, I guess what I am saying in a roundabout way is that if you are restoring a wing car and you are mad because all of the good parts are on clones from years past, well, they were just old parts then.  If you are mad because clone builders today are buying up parts instead of you, maybe they are just willing to pay more?
If I were restoring a real wing car, I would want real parts on it as well, but if the parts are out there and clone builders are beating me to the punch, as upset as I might be with them I think I'd have to give myself equal or more blame. :shruggy: :Twocents:

oldcarnut

I guess that would mean that if real original parts should only go on real original cars,  then your going to have to restrict all sellers of original parts to only sell to customers with original cars. Maybe one year they might have someone needing it but if they need cash now its just wishful thinking.  If I got a part bringing $XXX,  my interest is in what it gets me, not what its going on.  If it was a tie between 2 folks with one needing it for his original and another for a clone then perhaps more thought would go into it.  All the cars I've had, I bought hard to find spares for them as I ran across them for just in case something happened.  Most time something never happened so now I have a group of spares for cars I don't have anymore.  It real unfortunate somebody took parts off your car and I feel for you and anyone else in that situation. Most all my clone parts are repro'd except the back glass which may or may not be original glass but if I found original parts for a deal as good or better , sorry but I'd bought them.

moparstuart

Quote from: 69 DAYTONA on March 28, 2012, 06:50:51 AM
Sorry to disagree.  But, if you put all original Superbird parts on a "clone", the only difference between it and a "real" one is the fender tag and vin.  I personally believe the only ones worth as much money as they bring, still have their "original" paint/parts and are true survivors.  I am sure plenty of people won't see it that way, but I do.  Yes, it wasn't ordered that way, but the car itself and all the parts were made by Mopar way back when, just assembled in a different configuration.  Clone, says fake to me, which they are not.  This does not include illegal tag swaps and representing them otherwise.  Unless you find the exact nose/wings/parts from your car, is it actually original at that point or a clone of itself?  Nothing personal, just my :Twocents:.

...my survivor Bird loaded up for a trip to my house...it's so original it still has all the scratches and dings from the last 40 years
are those 71 charger tips ?  :shruggy:   

69 DAYTONA

Quote from: moparstuart on March 28, 2012, 10:39:18 AM

are those 71 charger tips ?  :shruggy:   

...maybe off of a later Road Runner ?...the owner of the Bird claimed he was nearly killed in a car accident and the only good parts left of the car were the exhaust tips, so he put them on the Bird as a reminder...that's all I know...I have an NOS set for the car if I want to change them

pettybird

better just part the car out now.  wrong tips.  :rotz:

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on March 28, 2012, 11:43:49 AM
better just part the car out now.  wrong tips.  :rotz:
i can go take it off his hands   :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:  he needs a green convertible to park next to that awesome black one   :icon_smile_big:

Aero426

Stuart, I am going to put you on the spot, for no other reason than your comment taking about Larry's car off his hands.     Just curious as to how you feel.

Your Birdable is very nice.   In fact, I think it is as nice as any "real" Superbird, and with the factory parts, it is fairly hard to duplicate.   Let's say the money was "in the ballpark".  Would you give up the uniqueness of the Birdable for a running driving project Superbird? 

41husk

1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

moparstuart

Quote from: Aero426 on March 28, 2012, 12:06:58 PM
Stuart, I am going to put you on the spot, for no other reason than your comment taking about Larry's car off his hands.     Just curious as to how you feel.

Your Birdable is very nice.   In fact, I think it is as nice as any "real" Superbird, and with the factory parts, it is fairly hard to duplicate.   Let's say the money was "in the ballpark".  Would you give up the uniqueness of the Birdable for a running driving project Superbird?  

First off doug thanks you very much for te compliment on the car...  Means alot coming from you . I dont think i could let it go for a project ,  I am very attached to it and I think i would have to either get enough cash to get into a drive quality real bird or trade even up for a driver quality bird .   I know the car may not be worth that much but thats what i would have to have out of it to let it go .  Love the car , but I also would love to have a real deal bird too .  I would even take a modified real car like larry ropers black ice car .  I would how ever maybe trade for a project daytona if it wasnt a major project .  I could always try a troy trade multiple cars for a nicer Bird or daytona also but i am happy with what i have for now .

billssuperbird

the rear window+the wing stickers are the only nos superbird parts i have on my car. :2thumbs:

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: moparstuart
I also have many orginial ( though rough ) daytona parts to make a daytona clone someday .   I have been collection other people cast offs .

:popcrn: :drool5: :scratchchin:  oh yeah & taking up space for sure, I want your old Daytona pcs please :lol: :lol: :slap: :scratchchin:

BigBlockSam

QuoteI personally believe the only ones worth as much money as they bring, still have their "original" paint/parts and are true survivors.

i agree, they are only original once . i get turned on more by an unrestored car then i do from a trailer queen  :Twocents:

it's Mopar Stuart fault  :slap:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Ghoste

moparstuart

Quote from: Ghoste on March 28, 2012, 03:12:24 PM
Quote from: BigBlockSam on March 28, 2012, 03:11:25 PM

Many things are.
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:   yup i cause lots of trouble just ask anyone who knows me , especially at wing events   :icon_smile_big:

BIGBLCK11

:cheers: VERY NICE!  Along with your black Bird too.  Hey, that would be a great plate, if you are not already using that.  "BLCKBIRD"

70Sbird

Quote from: 70phoenix on March 27, 2012, 05:54:46 PM

And maybe someone should find my original engine/trans for my Superbird and return it to me too.....
Not going to happen, people can do what they want with the parts they have even if it means they hoard them until they die or bolt them on a an old notchback Barracuda or crush them....
I don't understand where your going with this, welcome to the hobby!
:2thumbs:

Scott Faulkner

hotrod98

Quote from: moparstuart on March 28, 2012, 12:49:20 PM
Stuart, I am going to put you on the spot, for no other reason than your comment taking about Larry's car off his hands.     Just curious as to how you feel.

Your Birdable is very nice.   In fact, I think it is as nice as any "real" Superbird, and with the factory parts, it is fairly hard to duplicate.   Let's say the money was "in the ballpark".  Would you give up the uniqueness of the Birdable for a running driving project Superbird?  

First off doug thanks you very much for te compliment on the car...  Means alot coming from you . I dont think i could let it go for a project ,  I am very attached to it and I think i would have to either get enough cash to get into a drive quality real bird or trade even up for a driver quality bird .   I know the car may not be worth that much but thats what i would have to have out of it to let it go .  Love the car , but I also would love to have a real deal bird too .  I would even take a modified real car like larry ropers black ice car .  I would how ever maybe trade for a project daytona if it wasnt a major project .  I could always try a troy trade multiple cars for a nicer Bird or daytona also but i am happy with what i have for now .

I wouldn't trade my car (with the cash difference in value of course) for a real matching numbers bird. I enjoy driving it more knowing that I don't have to worry about damaging an original engine or trans. I do wish I had an original hood for it in case a future owner wanted to remove the air grabber hood and put the car back to original appearance. Only because it would make my car more valuable in my opinion. I have a hood with a fiberglass extension that SuperbirdTom converted. I plan to keep the air grabber hood that he built on the car. It's just so cool.

My car is missing the original hood, the original front valance, the vinyl top, some interior pieces, the original engine and the original transmission. It has all of it's original sheet metal other than the hood and valance.

The Black Ice car has been mistaken for a clone on more than one occasion. There are clones out there that look more like a real bird than my car does...lol.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: billssuperbird on March 28, 2012, 02:03:15 PM
the rear window+the wing stickers are the only nos superbird parts i have on my car. :2thumbs:
your  car looks outstanding

69 DAYTONA

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 28, 2012, 07:48:54 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on March 28, 2012, 12:49:20 PM

I wouldn't trade my car (with the cash difference in value of course) for a real matching numbers bird. I enjoy driving it more knowing that I don't have to worry about damaging an original engine or trans. I do wish I had an original hood for it in case a future owner wanted to remove the air grabber hood and put the car back to original appearance. Only because it would make my car more valuable in my opinion. I have a hood with a fiberglass extension that SuperbirdTom converted. I plan to keep the air grabber hood that he built on the car. It's just so cool.

My car is missing the original hood, the original front valance, the vinyl top, some interior pieces, the original engine and the original transmission. It has all of it's original sheet metal other than the hood and valance.

The Black Ice car has been mistaken for a clone on more than one occasion. There are clones out there that look more like a real bird than my car does...lol.

...the exact reason for my Bird convertible...I've owned several winged cars and drove all of them some, but I wanted one to drive all the time...no matching numbers etc...if it gets destroyed it really has very little historical significance anyway, and could be replaced easily

41husk

Quote from: moparstuart on March 28, 2012, 03:53:33 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on March 28, 2012, 03:12:24 PM
Quote from: BigBlockSam on March 28, 2012, 03:11:25 PM

Many things are.
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:   yup i cause lots of trouble just ask anyone who knows me , especially at wing events   :icon_smile_big:

I thought that was only with Journalist :nana:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

moparstuart

It still pisses me off everytime i think about My original Green wing , being stolen and sold off by the first body shop my car was held hostage at for 10 years .  This is a picture of the first real wing i had bought for my car , if anyone remembers see it or know where it might have gone it would not be hard to identify .  I would love to have concrete proof to throw back in this clowns face who still claims he never had my wing .   I was lucky enough to get another real wing off a yellow car .  But it cost me another 2 k , which was my original investment in all the real superbirds parts i have on the car .   

Aero426

Quote from: 41husk on March 29, 2012, 07:35:55 AM

Need to get Stuart an "I heart Ed Hinton" shirt for this years event.     This is Ed on one of his better days.

41husk

1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

pettybird

Quote from: 69 DAYTONA on March 28, 2012, 10:43:50 PM...the exact reason for my Bird convertible...I've owned several winged cars and drove all of them some, but I wanted one to drive all the time...no matching numbers etc...if it gets destroyed it really has very little historical significance anyway, and could be replaced easily

This, I will never understand.  With all respect to "Ol Mor-row," these cars are NOT Deusenburgs.  They're not blower Bentleys.  They're not Cobra Daytonas.  They're not Ferrari Test Rossas.  They're freaking Chryslers.  They're really not even that rare, and the only people who would TRULY miss a car like our B5 bird is US.  Hell--we're one of three people in notheast Ohio with a blue one! 

To spend real car money on a fresh clone is absurd.  To claim you can't drive a real car is--and we've proven this--bullshit.  if you're building it for you, fantastic.  if you're building it for an excuse that doesn't hold water...can't help you there. 

moparstuart

Quote from: Aero426 on March 29, 2012, 09:31:42 AM
Quote from: 41husk on March 29, 2012, 07:35:55 AM

Need to get Stuart an "I heart Ed Hinton" shirt for this years event.     This is Ed on one of his better days.

this is all I ever saw of him , It was pitch dark he had to be drunk and was yelling at me out the hotel window   :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

I thin we should send Hinton a shirt that says "who the &^%$ is MoparStuart?

moparstuart

Quote from: Ghoste on March 29, 2012, 10:50:23 AM
I thin we should send Hinton a shirt that says "who the &^%$ is MoparStuart?
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

BigBlockSam

the last auctions i saw on tv . some real fancy resto mods where going for more money  then original cars   :shruggy:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Hemi Runner

I'm cutting up a matching numbers B5 blue 70RR to make my superbird drag car :2thumbs: If I add on some NOS bird parts it'll make all of the other bird parts that more rare if I hit the wall at 170mph :nana:

69 DAYTONA

Quote from: pettybird on March 29, 2012, 10:29:46 AM
Quote from: 69 DAYTONA on March 28, 2012, 10:43:50 PM...the exact reason for my Bird convertible...I've owned several winged cars and drove all of them some, but I wanted one to drive all the time...no matching numbers etc...if it gets destroyed it really has very little historical significance anyway, and could be replaced easily

This, I will never understand.  With all respect to "Ol Mor-row," these cars are NOT Deusenburgs.  They're not blower Bentleys.  They're not Cobra Daytonas.  They're not Ferrari Test Rossas.  They're freaking Chryslers.  They're really not even that rare, and the only people who would TRULY miss a car like our B5 bird is US.  Hell--we're one of three people in notheast Ohio with a blue one! 

To spend real car money on a fresh clone is absurd.  To claim you can't drive a real car is--and we've proven this--bullshit.  if you're building it for you, fantastic.  if you're building it for an excuse that doesn't hold water...can't help you there. 

...over the years I have put over 25K miles on various real winged cars, probably more than many owners

...this car isn't a clone or a tribute, it's a Phantom, there aren't any real convertibles to clone...I would have purchased a real Superbird / Daytona convertible 30 years ago if any had existed

...absurd price, maybe to some, I thought it was a bargain for what I got...it was an idea I had in my mind for 20-30 years and just got around to making it happen...and yes, it was built for me, like it or not, exactly how I wanted it

...I'm not going to cut the top off of a 9K mile Daytona or a survivor Superbird to build a convertible

...afraid to drive them...my current daily driver is a "1 of a very few" Nickey Super Camaro convertible...first one built, 630 plus HP, irreplaceable, but I drive it every day...it's sitting in my garage covered with road grime and bugs...I know some day it too will be squirreled away in a collection/museum and never see the streets again, what a shame too

...I have several cars and if I decide to drive any of them I do, regardless of how rare(several are 1 of 1s), but unfortunately, it would take a few years to get thru them all if I just drove each one 30 days a year...this Superbird conv was built with air, big brakes, plenty of HP...it was built for fun, and the top goes down too

...sorry if it doesn't please you, but it pleases me and that's all I'm interested in

moparstuart

gtx6970

Clone or Real,,,,,,,It all comes down to who is willing to pay the price required for the parts when they become avail

Ghoste

:yesnod:  Seems to be the concensus.  Until someone opens a parts business dedicated to selling "real" parts at cheap prices only to customers who can prove they are going on a "real" car, that is how it will be.

montana bird

I have not met anybody that has original parts for sale that would not sell. I tell them they are for my clone project and as long as you got the green, it comes home with me :lol:

70Sbird

Quote from: Hemi Runner on March 29, 2012, 09:01:08 PM
I'm cutting up a matching numbers B5 blue 70RR to make my superbird drag car :2thumbs: If I add on some NOS bird parts it'll make all of the other bird parts that more rare if I hit the wall at 170mph :nana:

Mike, that is fine by me as long as I can pick throug the scrap pile before you have it hauled off!!!
:2thumbs:

Scott Faulkner

pettybird

All of this:

Quote from: 69 DAYTONA on March 29, 2012, 10:41:32 PM

...over the years I have put over 25K miles on various real winged cars, probably more than many owners

...this car isn't a clone or a tribute, it's a Phantom, there aren't any real convertibles to clone...I would have purchased a real Superbird / Daytona convertible 30 years ago if any had existed

...absurd price, maybe to some, I thought it was a bargain for what I got...it was an idea I had in my mind for 20-30 years and just got around to making it happen...and yes, it was built for me, like it or not, exactly how I wanted it

...I'm not going to cut the top off of a 9K mile Daytona or a survivor Superbird to build a convertible

...afraid to drive them...my current daily driver is a "1 of a very few" Nickey Super Camaro convertible...first one built, 630 plus HP, irreplaceable, but I drive it every day...it's sitting in my garage covered with road grime and bugs...I know some day it too will be squirreled away in a collection/museum and never see the streets again, what a shame too

...I have several cars and if I decide to drive any of them I do, regardless of how rare(several are 1 of 1s), but unfortunately, it would take a few years to get thru them all if I just drove each one 30 days a year...this Superbird conv was built with air, big brakes, plenty of HP...it was built for fun, and the top goes down too

...sorry if it doesn't please you, but it pleases me and that's all I'm interested in

has nothing to do with this:

you want a convertible?  lovely.  paint it purple and fill the back seat with flowers for all I care.  you didn't say "i wanted a convertible instead of a real car," which is fine.  you instead dragged out the rarity/can't drive it/blah blah blah line.  that's all.  have fun with your convertible--it looks like a nice car to ride around in.

pettybird

Quote from: Hemi Runner on March 29, 2012, 09:01:08 PM
I'm cutting up a matching numbers B5 blue 70RR to make my superbird drag car :2thumbs:

There are wing cars and there are parts cars.  onward!

rainbow4jd

Quote from: Indygenerallee on March 27, 2012, 05:58:02 PM
I agree with you but it's a free society and people can do with their money as they choose, is it the right choice? Almighty dollar rules all.

Yuuuuup!

learical1

Quote from: Troy on March 27, 2012, 06:18:46 PM
Perhaps you should be angry with the people who originally stripped your car? They're the ones with no respect for originality.

Let's be clear: in the mid to late 70's, winged cars were nothing more than used cars.  My brother and I gave away the rear wing and other goodies from our V code 4 speed extremely low VIN SuperBird to Winged Warriors for use as door prizes!  Why?  The original engine was gone, the entire front end replaced by a spray-canned 70 Road Runner clip, and the rest of the car wasn't much better.  We bought it as a parts car.  The Dana wound up in our Hemi-swapped 'Bird, and I don't remember where we used some of the other parts.  When we were done with it, we sold it to a guy who, if the 30+ years haven't fogged my memory, owned a wrecking yard.  I believe he had a rough white 'Bird clip he planned to use on the car.  Never saw him or the car again.  Why should the current owner of this SuperBird, if it even exists anymore, be PO'ed at me and my brother for using parts off of that car to keep 3 other 'Birds up and "flying"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzDxilKnU8Q
Bruce

hotrod98

Several years ago I cut up a rust free 72 Barracuda for parts to restore a 71 Cuda, a 70 Challenger convertible and several other customer cars. I always felt bad about doing that. It gave me bad Mopar Karma.  Now, I've decided to resurrect the car and build a 70 Cuda clone drag car from it. I'll order a few AMD parts and I have everything else to build it.  I'm going to build a Ramchargers clone except I'll place my name where the Ramchargers name is on the car.

I even have the steel shaker hood and an original shaker setup from one of my old 71 shaker Cudas.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Indygenerallee

Thats gonna be nice!!! Always liked the Ramchargers paint scheme!!

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: rainbow4jd on March 31, 2012, 03:16:04 AM
Quote from: Indygenerallee on March 27, 2012, 05:58:02 PM

Yuuuuup!

:popcrn:   :iagree:  but  :'( I can't help think Peter Pan utopia thoughts that original parts find old "real" cars and clones/rods/mod rods or whatever are custom built as owner desires with repo pcs which are now available these days.  Just makes me sad a little hearing a guy has a real car but because of cost or availability winds up with a plastic wing.   After all support the repop market while they are making the stuff..... or they wont.  Regardless it appears to me values, availability, easy, bragging rights, correctness, etc will continue to drive the use of old parts on whereever car they land on(including someone hoards it up as shop art for the wall :poke:  :scratchchin:). 

Troy

Quote from: learical1 on March 31, 2012, 08:01:23 PM

Let's be clear: in the mid to late 70's, winged cars were nothing more than used cars.  My brother and I gave away the rear wing and other goodies from our V code 4 speed extremely low VIN SuperBird to Winged Warriors for use as door prizes!  Why?  The original engine was gone, the entire front end replaced by a spray-canned 70 Road Runner clip, and the rest of the car wasn't much better.  We bought it as a parts car.  The Dana wound up in our Hemi-swapped 'Bird, and I don't remember where we used some of the other parts.  When we were done with it, we sold it to a guy who, if the 30+ years haven't fogged my memory, owned a wrecking yard.  I believe he had a rough white 'Bird clip he planned to use on the car.  Never saw him or the car again.  Why should the current owner of this SuperBird, if it even exists anymore, be PO'ed at me and my brother for using parts off of that car to keep 3 other 'Birds up and "flying"?

It was sarcasm. ;) My point was that the OP claims to be annoyed that original parts are being installed on clones but doesn't seem the least bit perturbed that his car's original parts were stripped (no matter the reason - they are gone). He only seems to be mad because original parts are hard to find and he needs someone to blame. I realize that, at one point, these cars were reasonably cheap and it wasn't unheard of to part out a relatively nice car just because it had a few blemishes. This isn't limited to wing cars either. There are a lot of us who would love to have the parts that "went missing" from our cars over time. I don't blame the guy who has them now though.

Troy

moparstuart

I think we ran the poor guy off      :shruggy:    70phoenix  70phoenix 70phoenix anyone anyone

learical1

Quote from: Troy on April 02, 2012, 02:36:03 PM

Let's be clear: in the mid to late 70's, winged cars were nothing more than used cars. 

It was sarcasm. ;)
Troy

Thought so.  That's why I had the Rodney link.
Bruce

Troy

Quote from: moparstuart on April 02, 2012, 02:46:07 PM
   I think we ran the poor guy off      :shruggy:    70phoenix  70phoenix 70phoenix anyone anyone
He disappeared approximately 1 minute after he started the thread (and that may be the software waiting to time out). It doesn't appear that he's come back to check on it. :shruggy:

Quote from: learical1 on April 02, 2012, 03:21:26 PM
Quote from: Troy on April 02, 2012, 02:36:03 PM

Let's be clear: in the mid to late 70's, winged cars were nothing more than used cars. 

It was sarcasm. ;)
Troy

Thought so.  That's why I had the Rodney link.
Couldn't see the video at work. ;)

Troy

learical1

Quote from: Troy on April 02, 2012, 04:08:13 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on April 02, 2012, 02:46:07 PM
He disappeared approximately 1 minute after he started the thread (and that may be the software waiting to time out). It doesn't appear that he's come back to check on it. :shruggy:

Probably got fired for searching the web at work! :yesnod:
Bruce