News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird / Daytona Clone versus original

Started by 70phoenix, March 27, 2012, 05:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70Sbird

Quote from: Hemi Runner on March 29, 2012, 09:01:08 PM
I'm cutting up a matching numbers B5 blue 70RR to make my superbird drag car :2thumbs: If I add on some NOS bird parts it'll make all of the other bird parts that more rare if I hit the wall at 170mph :nana:

Mike, that is fine by me as long as I can pick throug the scrap pile before you have it hauled off!!!
:2thumbs:

Scott Faulkner

pettybird

All of this:

Quote from: 69 DAYTONA on March 29, 2012, 10:41:32 PM

...over the years I have put over 25K miles on various real winged cars, probably more than many owners

...this car isn't a clone or a tribute, it's a Phantom, there aren't any real convertibles to clone...I would have purchased a real Superbird / Daytona convertible 30 years ago if any had existed

...absurd price, maybe to some, I thought it was a bargain for what I got...it was an idea I had in my mind for 20-30 years and just got around to making it happen...and yes, it was built for me, like it or not, exactly how I wanted it

...I'm not going to cut the top off of a 9K mile Daytona or a survivor Superbird to build a convertible

...afraid to drive them...my current daily driver is a "1 of a very few" Nickey Super Camaro convertible...first one built, 630 plus HP, irreplaceable, but I drive it every day...it's sitting in my garage covered with road grime and bugs...I know some day it too will be squirreled away in a collection/museum and never see the streets again, what a shame too

...I have several cars and if I decide to drive any of them I do, regardless of how rare(several are 1 of 1s), but unfortunately, it would take a few years to get thru them all if I just drove each one 30 days a year...this Superbird conv was built with air, big brakes, plenty of HP...it was built for fun, and the top goes down too

...sorry if it doesn't please you, but it pleases me and that's all I'm interested in

has nothing to do with this:

Quote from: 69 DAYTONA on March 28, 2012, 10:43:50 PM...the exact reason for my Bird convertible...I've owned several winged cars and drove all of them some, but I wanted one to drive all the time...no matching numbers etc...if it gets destroyed it really has very little historical significance anyway, and could be replaced easily

you want a convertible?  lovely.  paint it purple and fill the back seat with flowers for all I care.  you didn't say "i wanted a convertible instead of a real car," which is fine.  you instead dragged out the rarity/can't drive it/blah blah blah line.  that's all.  have fun with your convertible--it looks like a nice car to ride around in.

pettybird

Quote from: Hemi Runner on March 29, 2012, 09:01:08 PM
I'm cutting up a matching numbers B5 blue 70RR to make my superbird drag car :2thumbs:

There are wing cars and there are parts cars.  onward!

rainbow4jd

Quote from: Indygenerallee on March 27, 2012, 05:58:02 PM
I agree with you but it's a free society and people can do with their money as they choose, is it the right choice? Almighty dollar rules all.

Yuuuuup!

learical1

Quote from: Troy on March 27, 2012, 06:18:46 PM
Perhaps you should be angry with the people who originally stripped your car? They're the ones with no respect for originality.

Let's be clear: in the mid to late 70's, winged cars were nothing more than used cars.  My brother and I gave away the rear wing and other goodies from our V code 4 speed extremely low VIN SuperBird to Winged Warriors for use as door prizes!  Why?  The original engine was gone, the entire front end replaced by a spray-canned 70 Road Runner clip, and the rest of the car wasn't much better.  We bought it as a parts car.  The Dana wound up in our Hemi-swapped 'Bird, and I don't remember where we used some of the other parts.  When we were done with it, we sold it to a guy who, if the 30+ years haven't fogged my memory, owned a wrecking yard.  I believe he had a rough white 'Bird clip he planned to use on the car.  Never saw him or the car again.  Why should the current owner of this SuperBird, if it even exists anymore, be PO'ed at me and my brother for using parts off of that car to keep 3 other 'Birds up and "flying"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzDxilKnU8Q
Bruce

hotrod98

Several years ago I cut up a rust free 72 Barracuda for parts to restore a 71 Cuda, a 70 Challenger convertible and several other customer cars. I always felt bad about doing that. It gave me bad Mopar Karma.  Now, I've decided to resurrect the car and build a 70 Cuda clone drag car from it. I'll order a few AMD parts and I have everything else to build it.  I'm going to build a Ramchargers clone except I'll place my name where the Ramchargers name is on the car.

I even have the steel shaker hood and an original shaker setup from one of my old 71 shaker Cudas.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Indygenerallee

Thats gonna be nice!!! Always liked the Ramchargers paint scheme!!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: rainbow4jd on March 31, 2012, 03:16:04 AM
Quote from: Indygenerallee on March 27, 2012, 05:58:02 PM
I agree with you but it's a free society and people can do with their money as they choose, is it the right choice? Almighty dollar rules all.

Yuuuuup!

:popcrn:   :iagree:  but  :'( I can't help think Peter Pan utopia thoughts that original parts find old "real" cars and clones/rods/mod rods or whatever are custom built as owner desires with repo pcs which are now available these days.  Just makes me sad a little hearing a guy has a real car but because of cost or availability winds up with a plastic wing.   After all support the repop market while they are making the stuff..... or they wont.  Regardless it appears to me values, availability, easy, bragging rights, correctness, etc will continue to drive the use of old parts on whereever car they land on(including someone hoards it up as shop art for the wall :poke:  :scratchchin:). 

Troy

Quote from: learical1 on March 31, 2012, 08:01:23 PM
Perhaps you should be angry with the people who originally stripped your car? They're the ones with no respect for originality.

Let's be clear: in the mid to late 70's, winged cars were nothing more than used cars.  My brother and I gave away the rear wing and other goodies from our V code 4 speed extremely low VIN SuperBird to Winged Warriors for use as door prizes!  Why?  The original engine was gone, the entire front end replaced by a spray-canned 70 Road Runner clip, and the rest of the car wasn't much better.  We bought it as a parts car.  The Dana wound up in our Hemi-swapped 'Bird, and I don't remember where we used some of the other parts.  When we were done with it, we sold it to a guy who, if the 30+ years haven't fogged my memory, owned a wrecking yard.  I believe he had a rough white 'Bird clip he planned to use on the car.  Never saw him or the car again.  Why should the current owner of this SuperBird, if it even exists anymore, be PO'ed at me and my brother for using parts off of that car to keep 3 other 'Birds up and "flying"?

It was sarcasm. ;) My point was that the OP claims to be annoyed that original parts are being installed on clones but doesn't seem the least bit perturbed that his car's original parts were stripped (no matter the reason - they are gone). He only seems to be mad because original parts are hard to find and he needs someone to blame. I realize that, at one point, these cars were reasonably cheap and it wasn't unheard of to part out a relatively nice car just because it had a few blemishes. This isn't limited to wing cars either. There are a lot of us who would love to have the parts that "went missing" from our cars over time. I don't blame the guy who has them now though.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

moparstuart

I think we ran the poor guy off      :shruggy:    70phoenix  70phoenix 70phoenix anyone anyone
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

learical1

Quote from: Troy on April 02, 2012, 02:36:03 PM

Let's be clear: in the mid to late 70's, winged cars were nothing more than used cars. 

It was sarcasm. ;)
Troy

Thought so.  That's why I had the Rodney link.
Bruce

Troy

Quote from: moparstuart on April 02, 2012, 02:46:07 PM
   I think we ran the poor guy off      :shruggy:    70phoenix  70phoenix 70phoenix anyone anyone
He disappeared approximately 1 minute after he started the thread (and that may be the software waiting to time out). It doesn't appear that he's come back to check on it. :shruggy:

Quote from: learical1 on April 02, 2012, 03:21:26 PM
Quote from: Troy on April 02, 2012, 02:36:03 PM

Let's be clear: in the mid to late 70's, winged cars were nothing more than used cars. 

It was sarcasm. ;)
Troy

Thought so.  That's why I had the Rodney link.
Couldn't see the video at work. ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

learical1

Quote from: Troy on April 02, 2012, 04:08:13 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on April 02, 2012, 02:46:07 PM
He disappeared approximately 1 minute after he started the thread (and that may be the software waiting to time out). It doesn't appear that he's come back to check on it. :shruggy:

Probably got fired for searching the web at work! :yesnod:
Bruce