News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sealing windshield

Started by 1BAD68, March 29, 2012, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

A few years ago I replaced my windshield gasket on my 68 and didn't use any sealant.
It leaks, not sure if it's coming from the windshield or not but before I paint, I want to make sure it won't leak.
I found a thread that shows urethane being applied between the windshield gasket and the glass (see pic) but am wondering if anything goes between the gasket and the metal frame?

resq302

There is a product referenced in the factory service manual for replacing the windshield made by 3M which is called Bedding and Glazing Compound.  I used that on my windshield and since then no leaks.  It is like a liquid type butyl that never totally hardens and flexes with the car.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bill440rt

BTW, urethane was also pumped between the gasket & body. The windshield is mine, & does not leak.

You can also use the 3M Bedding/Glazing compound as mentioned. They used a similar sticky-staying stuff from factory.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

1BAD68

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.