News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

roof skin removal question

Started by deanj309, March 25, 2012, 03:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanj309

Hello everyone I have to remove roof skin,after removing drip rail sealer do I remove the spotwelds from inside of the car or outside the car after the drip rail goo is removed

deanj309

The seam sealer behind driprail very brittle comin out in big long strips,easy to come out.I can see the spot welds clearly. To see where I need to remove them!

OttawaCharger

I had a heck of a time removing that seam sealer.  A hammer and a flat blade screwdriver were my weapons of choice.  :icon_smile_big:
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

deanj309

Ottawa did you weld your roof or weld it

OttawaCharger

My roof was fine.  The seam sealer was toast and needed replacement.
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

69rrgrabber

I replaced the roof on my 69 last year.  I used a wire wheel on a grinder and it took of the sealer easy.  I then cut the perimeter of the roof about 1 inch or so from the seam.  I found that the spot weld drills took for ever so I ended up using a grinder and ground down the spot welds.  Be careful to not go too far, be conserative till you get the hang of how far to grind and test often with a tool to break the welds lightly with a hammer as you grind.  I modified a gasket scrapper but you could buy a dedicated spot weld break tool.  When you cut the perimiter, just go far enough into it to cut the skin.  Be careful with the roof supports not to cut them.  It only took about 3 hours to cut mine off with this method and it worked great.

Carl