News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Jeff Scheiter EK2 Superbird restoration begins

Started by Hoser2455, March 31, 2012, 08:10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

472 R/T SE

Quote from: DAY CLONA on October 28, 2013, 10:58:41 PM
Looks good!....be sure to get rid of the hard edges left by taping off the black out, normally one would backtape to avoid a hardline/edge you'll have to carefully sand/featheredge the hardline, otherwise it will "outline" itself under the decal, the decals film is very thin, and actually magnifies what's under it, so the underlying surface must be smooth/flat :Twocents:

Mike

That's pretty cool mentioning that.   :2thumbs:

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Hoser2455

Here are some pictures of the just about finished product.  I used some old headlight decals that looked real good.  When we put the decals on they ended up getting some lines in them horizontally when they got wet putting them on.  Usually these lines disappear within about 3 days when the glue and water evaporates out but the lines are not disappearing like they should have.  I'm going to have to park the car outside on some 70 degree sunny days to see if they will disappear.  If they don't disappear then we will have to put new ones on again.  John's Auto Body in Imperial MO did the restoration of the car and John told me they will come right back off real easy with a heat gun.  This is why we did not put the round Superbird decal on the headlight door yet.  John's did a real nice job on the restoration that exceeded my expectations.  His crew are a bunch of good talented guys that are real good to work with and very knowledgeable about the restoration they are working on.  For anyone interested in a restoration by him get a hold of me.  John has a collision shop and a separate restoration shop.  He generally does about 6 to 8 restorations at a time.  He always wins a lot of shows everywhere.  He does a little bit of everything, Chevy's, Ford's, Trucks, bikes, and he has done a lot of Mopars. John's is doing another Superbird now.  The guy that has the Superbird owns his own body shop and got aggravated with the car.  He came to John's for John's open house and looked at my car and now he has John's doing his car also.  For those of you that have a project that is just sitting there, don't give up. I have owned my car now for 30 years and was fortunate enough to be able to keep it all them years.  Between not enough time, not enough money, and 4 kids later, I was finally able to save up enough to get the car done.  Don't give up on your car or your dreams because one day it will happen, sometimes it just takes a little time.

Hoser2455

Some more pics.  I decided on my license plate HI TAIL because that is what was on the plate when I bought the car years ago.  Tough decision because I did like WING IT a lot also.

70Sbird

Scott Faulkner

Mopar John

Quote from: Hoser2455 on February 08, 2014, 07:18:42 PM
Here are some pictures of the just about finished product.  I used some old headlight decals that looked real good.  When we put the decals on they ended up getting some lines in them horizontally when they got wet putting them on.  Usually these lines disappear within about 3 days when the glue and water evaporates out but the lines are not disappearing like they should have.  I'm going to have to park the car outside on some 70 degree sunny days to see if they will disappear.  If they don't disappear then we will have to put new ones on again.  John's Auto Body in Imperial MO did the restoration of the car and John told me they will come right back off real easy with a heat gun.  This is why we did not put the round Superbird decal on the headlight door yet.  John's did a real nice job on the restoration that exceeded my expectations.  His crew are a bunch of good talented guys that are real good to work with and very knowledgeable about the restoration they are working on.  For anyone interested in a restoration by him get a hold of me.  John has a collision shop and a separate restoration shop.  He generally does about 6 to 8 restorations at a time.  He always wins a lot of shows everywhere.  He does a little bit of everything, Chevy's, Ford's, Trucks, bikes, and he has done a lot of Mopars. John's is doing another Superbird now.  The guy that has the Superbird owns his own body shop and got aggravated with the car.  He came to John's for John's open house and looked at my car and now he has John's doing his car also.  For those of you that have a project that is just sitting there, don't give up. I have owned my car now for 30 years and was fortunate enough to be able to keep it all them years.  Between not enough time, not enough money, and 4 kids later, I was finally able to save up enough to get the car done.  Don't give up on your car or your dreams because one day it will happen, sometimes it just takes a little time.
Well said Jeff!

1966hemi

1970Moparmann

Jeff, car turned out awesome!   What part of IL are you?  I'm between Chicago and Rockford...
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Hoser2455

Thanks everyone.  Mike I live downstate about 20 miles from St. Louis.