News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where is the best place to order a heater core for my Superbird?

Started by GOTWING, April 11, 2012, 08:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOTWING

Well my original heater core finally blew antifreeze all over the passenger floor recently :RantExplode:, i bypassed it for now. ( to get to O.C. next month.) Also my power steering pump is leaking pretty bad, should i replace it or send out for rebuild? who should i send it too? who can i trust? any suggestions?  :shruggy:

pettybird

most heater cores are made in Mexico anyway...get one from AutoZone or whoever offers you a lifetime warranty.

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

jonw29

I manage a NAPA store and the part # for it appears to still be a good number.Its a factory order 3-4 days.

GOTWING

thanks, i guess i will just do that then.I hope it lasts, i purchased a radiator and alternator for my bird and the upper part of the tank started to leak within the first year and the "new" alternator went up on the way to Ocean City MD. they replaced it no charge, it's just the headache of it all :brickwall:

A383Wing

Aero426

Don't forget, '70 is different from '69 (heater line sizes).

GOTWING

the clowns around here will have no idea what a superbird is, should i just tell them R.R. or GTX? :scratchchin:  i assume they are all the same for 70??

Hemi_tyme

hemi68charger

Whatever you do, MAKE SURE YOU TEST FIT the new one.. Sometimes the attach bracket doesn't fit worth a damn in the box.. I had this issue when I restored my '68's.. I'll I had to do was take the original bracket off the bad/original heater core and place it on the new heater core..... Made my life so much easier...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

nascarxx29

:Twocents: Mark your cable positions and sometimes the new heater core pipes alignment arrangements are a little off and you may need to tweek them
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

moparstuart

we have been getting a lot of new ones that leak right out of the box , have it pressure tested , save your self the labor .   :Twocents:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Indygenerallee

:smilielol: What's a Superbird  :smilielol: That's when you drive it back up there and walk in and proclaim "That's a Mother______ Superbird!!!"
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

FJ5WING

Quote from: Indygenerallee on April 12, 2012, 11:27:51 AM
:smilielol: What's a Superbird  :smilielol: That's when you drive it back up there and walk in and proclaim "That's a Mother______ Superbird!!!"

Hey Stuart, Have you tested a core at home? and if so how do I do it? I picked up a new one but there was nothing wrong with the old one. id like to test the old one and use that one if I can.
as mentioned the new cores hard lines arent going to line up to get through the firewall!!!! :brickwall:
wingless now, but still around.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: moparstuart on April 12, 2012, 11:08:17 AM
we have been getting a lot of new ones that leak right out of the box , have it pressure tested , save your self the labor .   :Twocents:

Alot ??  How many have bought Stu ?

moparstuart

Quote from: FJ5WING on April 12, 2012, 12:16:06 PM
Quote from: Indygenerallee on April 12, 2012, 11:27:51 AM

Hey Stuart, Have you tested a core at home? and if so how do I do it? I picked up a new one but there was nothing wrong with the old one. id like to test the old one and use that one if I can.
as mentioned the new cores hard lines arent going to line up to get through the firewall!!!! :brickwall:
no we have a small radiator repair shop and parts store here in odessa not far from my salvage yard .  I have them test my stuff . 

moparstuart

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 12, 2012, 01:39:09 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on April 12, 2012, 11:08:17 AM

Alot ??  How many have bought Stu ?

Not just old stuff but we have had a terrible time with GM new aftermarket cores made in china i'm sure . I have a repair shop here at the salvage yard and heater cores are so labor intensive we dont put any in that are not test first now .....

GOTWING

I MAY JUST TOSS A WINTER COAT IN THE TRUNK AND SAY EFF IT AND LEAVE IT BYPASSED LOL  :smilielol:! no really thanks for the helpfull tips! I will keep all of them in mind. :D

odcics2

You should see if it's repairable first.   If so, it'll last a lot longer than any new overseas crap.
You can air test them under water at 15 PSI. 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?