News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering Coupler replace

Started by .030 over 68, April 16, 2012, 10:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

.030 over 68

Finally replaced the worn coupler in my 68. Boy that wasn't a fun job
I ended up using the original retainer, as the after market one was oversize,
And couldn't get it to hold. Next time I'll buy a flaming river type

Kern Dog

chargd72

Nevermind about Red.  He's always pissed about something. 

I have to flip my coupler 180*.  I guess the previous owner replaced it but now when I line up my steering box spline to my steering shaft, I have an upside down steering wheel.  Any advice on removal?  How much do I have to take apart just to flip it 180*?

Thanks.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

resq302

I don't know how the 71s and up are, but from 68-70 the couple was symetrical.  If your steering wheel is upside down pop the cover off of the coupler drop the steering column down and slide it out from the coupler.  Rotate the steering wheel so it is right side up and then reinsert the column into the coupler and then close it back up.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

chargd72

Quote from: resq302 on April 17, 2012, 10:33:26 AM
I don't know how the 71s and up are, but from 68-70 the couple was symetrical.  If your steering wheel is upside down pop the cover off of the coupler drop the steering column down and slide it out from the coupler.  Rotate the steering wheel so it is right side up and then reinsert the column into the coupler and then close it back up.

Great, thanks!  I was hoping it would be an easy fix.  Do you just pop the cover off with a flathead?

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

resq302

Depends on how tight it is.  Mine is loose enough that can pop off by itself at some points but when I bend the tangs back, it holds nice and tight for a while.  Could also be the heat causing the metal to expand and loosen up.  But a flat head screwdriver should work.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

.030 over 68

It might be simpler to take the steering wheel of and rotate it to position and lock it down

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: .030 over 68 on April 17, 2012, 02:36:49 PM
It might be simpler to take the steering wheel of and rotate it to position and lock it down

There is a double spline at the steering wheel that wont allow that, Unless you file it out.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

gtx6970

Quote from: .030 over 68 on April 17, 2012, 02:36:49 PM

steering wheel only goes on 1 way

chargd72

:iagree:   That's why I was so confused when it was upside down and wheels were straight.  Must have been apart with prev owner.  Thanks guys.

chargd72

Alright guys, I removed the cover and tried to slide the coupler off.  No go.  There is a little pin on the coupler housing the stops the shoes from sliding out.  How do I get around this?

Charger-Bodie

The pin will need to come out and then be put back in after.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

chargd72

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on April 19, 2012, 07:16:04 PM
The pin will need to come out and then be put back in after.

How does it come out?  I tried pulling it and pushing it out and won't budge.  I don't see that pin on any schematic of the coupler. 

Charger-Bodie

Its a tight little sucker , but it will come out.

Here is a pic of the saftey clip that dealers used to keep the retainer on when they started falling off.

resq302

Well, now, that pin explains a lot as to why my column is so easy to come out of the coupling!!!  Something else to add to the list.   :rotz:
Brian

BrianShaughnessy

The dead splines on the steering column and the steering box go at 12 o clock high when putting everything back together.     This centers the steering box.   Start with that and it makes the rest go much better.     

When the steering box dead spline is straight up,  then the pin for the coupler can be pounded in straight down also.

That safety clip used to be available from a site (www.mopar4sale.com?)  but I just tried the link and it appears to be dead.   

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

chargd72

What a pain...  I have about 8 exploded diagrams of the column and coupler and that pin is not in any of them.  Anyway, I took a center punch and a hammer to it and it popped out after a few taps.  After flipping the steering shaft 180* and putting the coupler back together my wheel is all line up.  Thanks for the help.

stripe74au

mine just had wire running through the pin hole (still has the split pin in it) and around the top of the coupler and a twist in it.

we call it "safety wire". this is a close cousin to the "100 mile an hour tape"
1965 Impala SS convertible
1967 Mustang fastback (work in progress)
1968 Charger R/T - WW1
1969 Roadrunner - R4
1970 Challenger R/T - FC7
1970 AAR 'Cuda - TX9

Kern Dog

Quote from: chargd72 on April 17, 2012, 10:24:55 AM

Pissed? Nahhh.... My response was to the garbled post that was corrected later. When someones writing appears similar to randomly punched keys on their computer, it is confusing. The OP must have realized this, because the original post was REwritten and is now sensible. Just like a stinky homeless guy with a ZZ top beard, Poor English skills give a bad impression.
got a charger wont hold a charge what should i do thanks.

Hello, my 70 Charger has a charging problem. Any ideas on what to check first?

Which one would YOU respond to first?

Fred

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on May 06, 2012, 02:23:10 AM
Quote from: chargd72 on April 17, 2012, 10:24:55 AM

Pissed? Nahhh.... My response was to the garbled post that was corrected later. When someones writing appears similar to randomly punched keys on their computer, it is confusing. The OP must have realized this, because the original post was REwritten and is now sensible. Just like a stinky homeless guy with a ZZ top beard, Poor English skills give a bad impression.
#1  got a charger wont hold a charge what should i do thanks.

#2 Hello, my 70 Charger has a charging problem. Any ideas on what to check first?

Which one would YOU respond to first?

Is this a poll? I vote for #2

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.