News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New cam Anyone?

Started by Moparbob, April 18, 2012, 05:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moparbob

Hello Fellers,

Well Im back on my charger project,, 4 years now but getting closet all the time.

Bout 2 years ago on the recommendation of some forfeitures I put a 490 lift lunati cam in the car. At that time it was a 727 Auto and I didnt want a stall converter,,,,,,,,,,Well things have changed :) I converted it (with the help of brewers) to a 4 speed car. The installation went perfect and works great. However,, now that I have a Stall converter (clutch  :rofl: ) I want some more lump. Below is the engine specs so Im open to cam suggestions:

440 30 over
Flat top pistons
452 heads shaved ported and polished
Lunati 220* split cam now
1 7/8 long tube headers
Toquer Manifold with Holly 750
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

Budnicks

What is the intended use of the car/engine combo ??, Did the people that did the machine/port work on the your on current heads, clearance the top of the guides to accept more than stock parameters of the gross camshaft valve lift ??, if not then about 0.520"ish or thereabouts "gross valve lift", is about all that can be run safely without, valve notching the pistons & machining the guides down at a minimum... You will also probably, need different valve springs, retainers, locks, seals, maybe even different style/size/length pushrods & adjustable rockers also, if your planning on running more camshaft, you should always match them to your specific camshaft needs...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Moparbob

Quote from: Budnicks on April 18, 2012, 06:07:33 PM
What is the intended use of the car/engine combo ??, Did the people that did the machine/port work on the your on current heads, clearance the top of the guides to accept more than stock parameters of the gross camshaft valve lift ??, if not then about 0.520"ish or thereabouts "gross valve lift", is about all that can be run safely without, valve notching the pistons & machining the guides down at a minimum... You will also probably, need different valve springs, retainers, locks, seals, maybe even different style/size/length pushrods & adjustable rockers also, if your planning on running more camshaft, you should always match them to your specific camshaft needs...

Its a street car that I may get on from time to time,,  :flame:  You know, the 0-60 thing.

I bought heavy springs when I bought the lunati , new lifters too. The motor has less then 2 hours on it.

520 lift? Any suggestions on which cam?
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

Budnicks

Quote from: Moparbob on April 18, 2012, 06:21:12 PM
Quote from: Budnicks on April 18, 2012, 06:07:33 PM

Its a street car that I may get on from time to time,,  :flame:  You know, the 0-60 thing.

I bought heavy springs when I bought the lunati , new lifters too. The motor has less then 2 hours on it.

520 lift? Any suggestions on which cam?

Not from me, I don't really like giving those kind of suggestions ever... I would always suggest calling the experts at Lunati, Comp Cams, Isky, Crane etc. or whom ever you like to deal with, after all they are the camshaft & valve train "experts"... You will need to tell them what cubic inches, compression, heads, valve size, what gears, weight of the car, RPM range you plan on running, what ignition, what induction, fuel & carb etc., for them to help you choose the proper camshaft for your intended usage...

c00nhunterjoe

based on your build and how you want the car to react I will say a cam with 244-248 @.050 and .520 lift max unless you have valve reliefs in those pistons. If you have valve reliefs then get a .550 lift to best utilze head flow.

I love my racer brown cam, I like comp cams extreme energy line, and also isky makes really good cams.
If possible run a split lift\duration with more on the exhaust to boost numbers as well.

Moparbob

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on April 18, 2012, 06:37:56 PM
based on your build and how you want the car to react I will say a cam with 244-248 @.050 and .520 lift max unless you have valve reliefs in those pistons. If you have valve reliefs then get a .550 lift to best utilze head flow.

I love my racer brown cam, I like comp cams extreme energy line, and also isky makes really good cams.
If possible run a split lift\duration with more on the exhaust to boost numbers as well.

This is the cam I have now: Duration 262/268, Lift .475/.494,
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

c00nhunterjoe

If all you want is a little more chop without sacrificing streetability and upgrading valvetrains and carbs I would reccomend the mopar performance 509, the comp cams xe284 or the racer brown ssh-44( I think that's the number).  Those will give you the choppy loped idle but still make max power around 53-5500 on an iron headed 440. The low end power should start pulling at 2500 and come alive at 3000. If you have 3.91's that 440 will plant you in the seat.

There are better "max power" choices out there but unless you want to start nickel and diming I think you will be happy with one of those 3 and they are all under 200 for cam and lifter kits.

Moparbob

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on April 18, 2012, 06:52:44 PM
If all you want is a little more chop without sacrificing streetability and upgrading valvetrains and carbs I would reccomend the mopar performance 509, the comp cams xe284 or the racer brown ssh-44( I think that's the number).  Those will give you the choppy loped idle but still make max power around 53-5500 on an iron headed 440. The low end power should start pulling at 2500 and come alive at 3000. If you have 3.91's that 440 will plant you in the seat.

There are better "max power" choices out there but unless you want to start nickel and diming I think you will be happy with one of those 3 and they are all under 200 for cam and lifter kits.

There are a bunch of 509's,, might you narrow it down? http://www.jegs.com/p/Mopar-Performance/Mopar-Performance-Purple-Shaft-Camshaft-Kits/746961/10002/-1
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

Budnicks

Quote from: Moparbob on April 18, 2012, 06:42:05 PM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on April 18, 2012, 06:37:56 PM

This is the cam I have now: Duration 262/268, Lift .475/.494,
Maybe just add some adjustable 1.6:1 rockers & appropriate length/style of push rods, 0.475"/0.494" with 1.5:1 rocker,  it would be 0.506"/0.526" with 1.6:1 roceker, then you get more a little camshaft, quality rockers & push rods... Just throwing it out there...

c00nhunterjoe

There are several purple shafts, but only 1 "509" lol. http://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar-Performance/312/P4120237AE/10002/-1?parentProductId=746961

I think swapping the 1.5's for1.6's will cost more then the cam swap and it would be an adjustable valvetrain. The duration won't change either and his main goal was a choppier idle. If I were to go to an adjustable valvetrain then personally, I would go mechanical cam. But I got the impresion he didn't want to go changing out the top end, just wanted a quick easy boost in the rumble department.

redmist

Comp XS282S

Perfect!

I run this cam, and the idles is amazing, I get comments all the time on how bad ass the car sounds just sitting there sounding... well...........     Bad ass! And it is a pleasure to drive off idle and beyond. I made just at 500 HP and 542 Ft Lbs with a 30 over 440 and Edelbrock heads, at zero deck.
JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

Moparbob

Quote from: redmist on April 18, 2012, 07:21:23 PM
Comp XS282S

Perfect!

I run this cam, and the idles is amazing, I get comments all the time on how bad ass the car sounds just sitting there sounding... well...........     Bad ass! And it is a pleasure to drive off idle and beyond. I made just at 500 HP and 542 Ft Lbs with a 30 over 440 and Edelbrock heads, at zero deck.

Already have new comp cam lifters I put in with the lunati. Looks like I could get away for http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-23-232-4/ ,, ya think?
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

firefighter3931

Bob, what is the static compression of your motor ? How far down is the piston at TDC ? What pistons are you using ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

c00nhunterjoe

The xs is a solid series. Won't work for him unless he gets adjustable valvetrain

Moparbob

Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 18, 2012, 07:29:09 PM
Bob, what is the static compression of your motor ? How far down is the piston at TDC ? What pistons are you using ?

Ron

Hey Ron! Bout 8.2-1 according to a friend of mine from a few years ago ;) Took me a while to find this: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,51053.msg556820.html#msg556820
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

c00nhunterjoe

Man, 2008, that firefighter guy has been around for a while.....lol.

the estimated 8.2 was with 90 cc heads. Depending on how much yours were shaved you might be knocking on the 9:1 door with the thing gaskets. Even at 9:1 probably don't want to go much bigger on the cam choice,especially without valve reliefs.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Moparbob on April 18, 2012, 07:33:56 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 18, 2012, 07:29:09 PM

Ron

Hey Ron! Bout 8.2-1 according to a friend of mine from a few years ago ;) Took me a while to find this: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,51053.msg556820.html#msg556820

Ok, now i remember that build.  :icon_smile_big:

Because the static compression is low i recommended the modest VooDoo cam to help it build some low end grunt. It's easy to overcam a low compression motor and make a slug out of it.  :brickwall:

That being said ; you can tighten up the lobe seperation angle on the cam grind to give it a little attitude at idle but you can't go too big on the duration or it will kill off idle throttle response. The 4spd helps a bit but i would run something with a 108LSA and 220@.050 duration max. You might need to order something custom to get what you want. A comp XE268 custom ground on a 108* LSA would be a good choice.  :yesnod:

You could keep all your existing parts and this would drop right in with zero clearance issues.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Moparbob

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on April 18, 2012, 07:41:44 PM
Man, 2008, that firefighter guy has been around for a while.....lol.

Hee hee, whats worse is Im still working on this car! Job loses and other issues have kept it in the garage covered up but,, good news is Job is back, issues have left so Im determined to finish it this year. I have almost everything new that I have bought over the last several years.

I work in the shop every weekend and AM making pergress.

Latest thing is I put a 23 spline 373 posi ford rear with disc brakes in. Its 4" narrower then the 9 1/4 I had so I was able to use 295/50/15 tires with 10" Crager SS with 3 1/2" backspacing,, wheels fit snugly in the wheel wells perfect  :2thumbs:
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

c00nhunterjoe

I agree with all of your reccomendations except the 220 @ .050 as the max. The low comp 400 we did in my friend's duster performs very well with an auto, converter and 3.91's mated to the larger cam. Like you said, the 4 speed will definatly help his 440, and the fact that its a 440 will also aid in the low end department. Now I do agree it will lose some bottom end performance but you can still manage the trade off with the custom grind as you also recommended.