News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why is the rust "here" and not "there?"

Started by myk, March 30, 2012, 01:11:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73rallye440magnum

Are they billing you for hourly labor and materials or did they bid the job?
Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

hemi-hampton

Looks like your getting the Earl Scheib special. But maybe your paying for that. From the start you should of said are you going to strip it to bare metal & remove all trim for that price, What paint you going to use, ect, ect. Also, most of the times the high price they quote you is actually low to them but high to you. Do you live in USA? LEON.

69finder

Buy an electric buffer.  Put a 40 to 80 grit disc on it, go to town.  Strip it to metal.  THEN hand it to a shop or have someone do the estimate :)

That's what I did (not on my Charger, but back in the day on a VW).  Stripped it down.  The estimate for welding was INSANE, so I bought a welder.  Started to weld.

Got an estimate to put primer on it.  WAY to high.  So I bought a compressor, did it myself.

Got an estimate for body work.  WAAY to high.  Learned to work metal, did it myself (kinda).

Paint, same deal.  Did it myself.  It looked like crap but the smile never came off my face (even when I was sleeping).

kab69440

I wouldn't be upset about parts not being removed. They have a funny way of getting "lost". Shops don't seem to be liable for the things they "lose" or "weren't on the car when it came in".
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

hemi-hampton

RallyeMike

I think people are being way too hasty in condeming this shop until Myk tells us what the work order says and the estimate is. There are several levels of body work from "get it done" to perfection. The important thing is making sure that you are getting the level of body work that you are paying for and have agreed to have done.

Its perfectly fine to lay down new bondo over old bondo and scuffed paint as long as that is the level of work authorized and estimated. Not everyone can afford perfection.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/