News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much $$ needed to make daytona clone

Started by Silver R/T, July 20, 2005, 12:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver R/T

lets say Ive got 69-70 project car, how much $$ do I need for all the daytona parts, body kit/wing etc.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Daytona Guy

All depends…I hope not to make people mad by what I say here. These are just my findings and my experiences.   I will give you my belief and experience in the matter. We are all different.

Any nose
Stinger - 650.00 Will need some modification
Janak - 1000.00 - 1500.00 - Good Mold
Show Cars - 1000.00 Fair mold
Daylona - 1500.00

Wing
Show Cars - Glass Wing - 1500.00 - Not what I would do
Dayclona - 3000.00 - Sheet Metal - Not quite the right shape
Janak - Glass wing - 1500.00 - 2000.00 - Not what I would do

Rear plug.
Janak - Glass Plug - 700.00 - Will crack and shrink - Will need reinforcement - Glass - and altered chrome trim
Dayclona - Steel - 2400 - Will need reinforcement - Glass - and altered chrome trim
Vega Hatch - Steel - 100.00 local wrecker   - Has glass and trim

Headlight
Do what you want.

Grill - complete
Dayclona - 300.00 Worth it
Show Cars - 200.00 Not worth it
Stinger - Not quite right but affordable

Trunk Bracing
Dayclona - Steel - 200.00 a set -   Hands down - the way to go.

Fender scoops
Take your pick

Wind Reflectors
Erik Nelson - 500.00 - Well done

Lower valance
Dayclona - 2000.00 - steel -
Show cars - 400.00 - Nice
Janak - 500.00 - Nice
Stinger - Do not know

Mounting parts are all up to you and your engineering. Or, you can pay for them.

I would like to say that I have talked with and seen many of these parts. I would like to say that they all do good work. These are just my opinions to try and help the buyer make an informed decision.

Almost all after market parts will be different. I make most of my parts, but even parts that I have bought I modify to fit the way I want them to fit. Nose cones are a must modification to fit right no matter what.

Personally I would go with a cast aluminum wing. They are less expensive and are exact in shape, but about a 1/2 inch shorter. The human eye will never see it. They weigh 85 pounds. I just do not trust the glass wing. I see it cracking. The Dayclona wing is well done, but from what I can see the base of the wing has wrong radiuses in their compound curves. Do not get me wrong. I cannot believe they can make these, but for the money I would want mine perfect in shape.

I would go with the Vega Hatch for the rear plug. Even Dayclona's rear plug would require added reinforcements. Plus you will need to get a plastic rear window that will either scratch or sag (coflow)over time. The trim will be near impossible to find.

I am irritated with "Show Cars". They send their glass parts without gel coat and their parts are flimsy and thin. Plus they take for ever to get you the parts. My note to them is - Deliver or send people their money back. But they do a good job on shipping. Others should learn from them on who to use when shipping.

ChargerRob

That's what I like about this site! You can find out just about anything related to these cars.  :2thumbs:
Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

hotrod98

Dane,

1. What do you suggest on the modification of the deck lid? I think that Dayclona offered to do the conversion for around $500 plus the part and shipping.
2. I have the vega hatchback...now what?  I'm thinking that I should do the trunk lid, then the trunk opening and then the plug in that order so that I have something to go by.
3. I read somewhere that there are trunk hinges from a late model car that will work. Any idea?
4. Have you thought about writing a book? I'll buy the first copy.

I have a 69 R/T SE triple black non matching numbers car in very good condition to use for the conversion. A lot of people tell me that I'm insane for converting this car to a Daytona clone. I say that as long as I keep the old parts put away, that it wouldn't be impossible to change back. I have the 70 fenders and hood and have studied the Daytona fenders enough to convert mine. I manage a body shop so we have the resources, just not the experience. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated by myself and I'm sure many others. I have pics of just about every one of your cars saved except the yellow one.
Have you ever thought of bringing it to St. Louis for the wing car show in September?

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

triple_green

Dane,

thanks for this info.

Where do you get an aluminum wing? Did you make it?

Do you know anything about the Superbird equivalents of these pieces? Is the wing different too?

Thanks!

Mark
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Daytona Guy

WOW.

I would love to go to St Lewy but it is just too far.

If they will do the lid for that much let them do it. I would. But there are times I just like things done now and in my hands.

Bird parts that the Daytona shares are the Headlight doors and the center wing. There are others but those are the biggies.

I have made a rough casting of the wing and shipped it to people. I just do not have the time to mess with fine finishing. Then it is never done right and you get people mad at ya. If someone is willing to finish the wing, and I can tell you how it is done, I will consider making some more. Finishing them is not easy. It would be nice to get some guys who want some and do it all together.

FastbackJon

Wow Max (Silver R/T), what a big turnaround from telling me a few months ago that you thought Daytonas and Superbirds were ugly and looked like old ricers. Now you seriously want to clone one?? lol
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

FastbackJon

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 20, 2005, 08:24:19 AM
I have a 69 R/T SE triple black non matching numbers car in very good condition to use for the conversion. A lot of people tell me that I'm insane for converting this car to a Daytona clone. I say that as long as I keep the old parts put away, that it wouldn't be impossible to change back.

The rear window plug would be a lot of work to change back. I say sell your rare (4,200 or so built) R/T SE Charger to someone who will restore it to stock, then use the additional money to buy a 318 '69 Charger in the same shape. A 318 '69 Charger is going to cost less than an R/T SE anyway.

I love to see people cloning daytonas, but not from other cars that were also cool originally! Using an R/T SE as a base for a Daytona conversion is almost as bad as the guy who told me he was going to convert his Charger 500 into one.

>:(   :icon_smile_shock:   :o   :rotz:
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

Daytona Guy

When it comes to knowing these parts I can tell from 20 feet away whether a part is right or not. If I did not have a wing I could carve one out of clay from memory and it would be almost exact. By the way, to make the original nose cones, they carved the molds. Read some neat stories on AeroWarriors.com when they get their site fixed. Doing these cars for 25 years and being an artist and a sculpture helps.

Silver R/T

Quote from: FastbackJon on July 20, 2005, 11:58:30 AM
Wow Max (Silver R/T), what a big turnaround from telling me a few months ago that you thought Daytonas and Superbirds were ugly and looked like old ricers. Now you seriously want to clone one?? lol

it all depends on how good daytona is, if its from hlpag I must pass

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Silver R/T

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Daytona Guy

Yes. They made 3 - 70 Daytona's RT SE Six Pack cars.  ;D I just though I would play Bob Uecker. They did not make any 69 Daytona's with vinyl tops. There are a couple of Dealer installed 70 daytona's out there.

Silver R/T

were there 70 daytonas available from dealers?

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Ghoste

Dealer modified into Daytona's is what he means.
Btw, is it established that all three were done at the dealer?  None were owner goobered?

FastbackJon

My dad started up a '69 Daytona vinyl top hemi car in Spokane when it was new on the dealer lot, but unfortunatly he didn't buy it.

Then there's another '69 Hemi Daytona also in spokane right now, vinly top car, but it is from back east.

Daytona Guy

When I say dealer, that means they where done by the dealer at the costumers command. No dealer would take that on - on their own. As for proof, there is only one Dealer installed 70 Daytona that has proof (paper trail) and that is the Purple one in Kansas. His name is alluding me.

Telvis

The knowledge here is amazing. I am astounded.

FastbackJon

Quote by Silver R/T on Yahoo IM, 7-20-2005, 1:45PM:

"just occured to me
first ricers in US were daytonas
:lol: "

End Quote

:nutkick:

Old Moparz

If I remember correctly, the only thing that was ever proven was that all the '70 Daytonas were cars. It depends on who you ask, when you ask, what magazine you read, what website argues over it & whether you want to believe anything said by anyone.   :icon_smile_big:

I'll agree with the statement that any of the '70 Daytonas were dealer made. None ever had a window plug, & all had a R/T VIN. I'd still take one btw.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Silver R/T

so there's nothing like "70 cant be a daytona"?

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Daytona Guy

Yes. You can make a clone of the 70 Daytona's. Dayclona did. Here is mine from '79

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Daytona Guy on July 20, 2005, 03:52:29 PM
n. As for proof, there is only one Dealer installed 70 Daytona that has proof (paper trail) and that is the Purple one in Kansas. His name is alluding me.

That would be Jerry Junemann.  He lives on Toulon Road off I-70 in Hays, Kansas,, 2nd exit east of Hays, go NOrth, house is on the left.

BTW, I have a '70 Daytona.

Daytona Guy

Quote from: AllBlueRT on July 20, 2005, 05:12:10 PM
Quote from: Daytona Guy on July 20, 2005, 03:52:29 PM
n. As for proof, there is only one Dealer installed 70 Daytona that has proof (paper trail) and that is the Purple one in Kansas. His name is alluding me.

That would be Jerry Junemann.   He lives on Toulon Road off I-70 in Hays, Kansas,, 2nd exit east of Hays, go NOrth, house is on the left.

BTW, I have a '70 Daytona.

You the man

FastbackJon

Chris G.

The only documented picture of a '70 with a wing and nose is pictured below. Jerry's car was the only one with proof that the dealer actually built the car. What does that mean? It's a nicely optioned '70 Charger R/T that had a nose and wing put on. The red and blue car were frauds.

No disrespect to anyone, but there never was a '70 Daytona. It's fun seeing them done, and Mike and Dane's cars look awesome! They should have been done in '70, but given their sales ratings, it's obvious why they weren't built.

ps- You boys know there was a '68 Charger 500 right?   ;)

8WHEELER

Quote from: FastbackJon on July 20, 2005, 06:45:41 PM
Doesn't everyone have a '70 Daytona?

Nope, the guy that painted my Red Charger has a originaly Yellow 68 RT Charger now 69 Daytona Clone, he got a 69 & 70 parts cars to make it. He also did the rear plug correctly and the trunk lid as well. Looks very much like Daytona Guy's old red one he painted his 96 Viper Red white stripes.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

hotrod98

I've always wanted a wing car. As soon as my chal convert is back together, which should be soon, I will start gathering parts for the Daytona clone.
According to my wife, we're going red, but haven't decided on the wing color. We like both white and black. Difficult choice. I have a fresh 440-6, but will probably rob the hemi out of my wife's convert and replace it with the 440-6.
I just missed out on buying the "Romeo from big go" Superbird a couple of weeks ago. Found it in a collection near Hot Springs, Arkansas earlier this year. He had promised it to another guy, but wasn't sure if that guy would come up with the money...he did.
That car has been missing for years. It's the red, white and blue car from Tennessee that was owned by a deejay at a radio station. Still had the original 6-pack motor. That's the second bird that I've missed out on. My life story. lol

Charles Addams

69_500

Yeah I knew there was a 68 Charger 500. The prototype car. It has been photographed many times over the years, and in 2 different colors. leading many to think there was 2 different cars. The VIN of the car eludes me at the moment, but its somewhere in the 386 range of 68 cars. I tend to memorize more of the 69 VIN's than I do trying to remember the prototype car.

Daytona Guy

Quote from: 8WHEELER on July 20, 2005, 07:12:23 PM

Nope, the guy that painted my Red Charger has a originaly Yellow 68 RT Charger now 69 Daytona Clone, he got a 69 & 70 parts cars to make it. He also did the rear plug correctly and the trunk lid as well. Looks very much like Daytona Guy's old red one he painted his 96 Viper Red white stripes.

Dan

Have pics??? Post them. I love seeing the clones

Daytona Guy

Quote from: Burnt70R/T on July 20, 2005, 07:03:04 PM
The only documented picture of a '70 with a wing and nose is pictured below.

That picture is not a legitimate document. It was found some years later, I believe at Chrysler's photo department. For all we know it could have been an interns attempt at advertising - of an employees car at the Hamtrack's Assembly Plant. The simple fact is that no one knows. It is anyones guess. The truth is usually stranger than fiction.

mustanghater

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 20, 2005, 08:24:19 AM:image_294343:

I have a 69 R/T SE triple black non matching numbers car in very good condition to use for the conversion.

they only made about 35 triple black r/t s/e chargers in 69?
New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

tomonty

Oh yeah, them things are a dime a dozen. I see them everywhere :icon_smile_big:
It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. - H.L. Mencken

hotrod98

I've owned two triple black 440 R/T SE cars in the last few years. The first one was matching numbers. I've never thought anything about them being rare. In the last few years, I've owned about 10 Chargers and half of them were R/T cars. Now I'm starting to realize that I probably should have kept a few. As for not using this R/T SE, that presents a problem since I bought it from a friend along with a nice 69 runner and 69 superbee and promised him that if he sold them to me that I would never resell them. He didn't need the money and didn't care if he ever sold them. Besides, he has a 69 six pack runner and another 69 Charger that he has promised to sell me later on when he gets tired of them. I don't want to mess up that kind of chance. The only way that I would start a Daytona project is with a rust free complete car. I've been restoring cars for years and I hate rust almost as much as I hate looking for parts. It's going to be awfully hard for someone to talk me out of using the triple black car. I figure I've got about 6 months to decide.

Charles Addams

djcarguy

Good info bout datona built cost,,page 1.   10.000$ plus if you use top cost parts ,plus $ for inter nose parts an lites?    :cheers: :2thumbs:

djcarguy