News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Taking it apart

Started by SmashingPunkFan, April 30, 2012, 09:53:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 21, 2012, 06:03:19 AM
Media blasting is more aggressive than soda blasting.  Soda blasting uses an industrial baking soda.  Media uses anything from walnut shells to glass beads to the slag out of the furnaces from electrical plants.
As far as welding, they could technically go anywhere, but putting them on metal is better.

As far as pics, you'd have to browse some old threads.  I have, and remember seeing some, but don't remember which ones.  Also, 69hemi.com has plenty of pics.  It might be wortha look. :2thumbs:

Done some looking.  Ryan is the one you need to be talking to. He tore his down that far and maybe farther.  He has pics on here.

Awesome. And as far as the welding goes, I mean should I get the pan lined up where I want it, clamp it done good, and drill through the frame rail and it?  :o
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV.
Projects:
1970 Dodge Charger SE (Main Project)
1973 Dodge Charger 400 cid. (Work in progress)
1988 Mustang 2.3 liter 4 cyl.

Looking for Seat tracks for bucket seats.

JB400

Get all your panels lined up and fitting the way you like them.  Use some screws or some clecos to help you out.  Clecos are what is used in the aircraft industry to temporary fit pieces together.  After you get all your pieces fitting to your liking, then you drill your pans and weld them to your rails.  Like I said, Ryan looks like the one you need to talk to.

areibel

Check out this site, if you haven't yet- http://www.69hemi.com/sheet.html
Great pics and descriptions of how he did his work.

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: areibel on September 21, 2012, 07:36:41 PM
Check out this site, if you haven't yet- http://www.69hemi.com/sheet.html
Great pics and descriptions of how he did his work.

Nice! I like it, just needs more pics, and possibly better quality.

Heres some of my progress from today
Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

Yay!!
Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

I ended up using the drill. The spot weld cutter was sketchy at best, and it broke!!
:icon_smile_angry:
Projects:

JB400

Well, sorry about the spot weld cutter.  Progress looks good.  When are you going to blast your rails?  I'm ready to see some pretty new stuff in the trunk.  Gotta have a place to throw all the junk. :icon_smile_big:

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 22, 2012, 11:02:48 PM
Well, sorry about the spot weld cutter.  Progress looks good.  When are you going to blast your rails?  I'm ready to see some pretty new stuff in the trunk.  Gotta have a place to throw all the junk. :icon_smile_big:

Right! lol
Im hoping to be welding here in a few weeks, maybe sooner! any special primers? sealers I should use?
Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

Projects:

NHCharger

Sweet. You are where I was with my 68 about one year ago. Here's a pic of my trunk. I didn't have to replace the trunk floor extensions. I did have to replace part of the bottom of the wheel wells. I have a 72 parts charger and used some pieces from that.
I sand blasted the frame rails. The applied a nice coat of SEM rust inhibitor. After letting them dry I sprayed the inside of the rails with the rubberized under coating. I taped off the top of the rails to keep them clean. Then sprayed a light coat of weld thru primer on the tops of the rails before installing the trunk pan.

This is a pic of my trunk rails
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

SmashingPunkFan

Awesome. Im having to replace the trunk extensions. I think ima wait to weld thos in while my rear quarters are off.
Projects:

NHCharger

As mentioned earlier in the thread. Clamp and screw everything together before you turn your welder on. Don't ask me how I know ::)
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: NHCharger on September 24, 2012, 08:35:33 PM
As mentioned earlier in the thread. Clamp and screw everything together before you turn your welder on. Don't ask me how I know ::)

Okie dokie.
I got every ounce of pan outta there today. Tomorrow Im gonna clean up the rails, maybe sand blast some... Im trying to get atleast one or two things done a day. :D
Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: NHCharger on September 22, 2012, 11:27:09 PM
Sweet. You are where I was with my 68 about one year ago. Here's a pic of my trunk. I didn't have to replace the trunk floor extensions. I did have to replace part of the bottom of the wheel wells. I have a 72 parts charger and used some pieces from that.
I sand blasted the frame rails. The applied a nice coat of SEM rust inhibitor. After letting them dry I sprayed the inside of the rails with the rubberized under coating. I taped off the top of the rails to keep them clean. Then sprayed a light coat of weld thru primer on the tops of the rails before installing the trunk pan.

This is a pic of my trunk rails

That product you mentioned, where can I get it? and possibly weld thru primer?
Projects:

NHCharger

A lot of automotive paint supply stores will carry SEM products. The stuff I use by SEM is called Rust Inhibitor. I also used it on the back side of the bumpers for my other Chargers. Another place was the back side of the rear valance and valance caps on my 68 project. On the lower half of the valance once you install it there is no way to coat/paint the back side. I'm also brushing it on all the floors in my 68. I intend to install a sound deadener/heat barrier on the floors and firewall so it will all be covered up.

The weld through primer is also an SEM product. Word of caution. I only applied one light coat on the rails. With two coats I had trouble with the welding popping and not laying down very good.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: NHCharger on September 30, 2012, 07:20:37 PM
A lot of automotive paint supply stores will carry SEM products. The stuff I use by SEM is called Rust Inhibitor. I also used it on the back side of the bumpers for my other Chargers. Another place was the back side of the rear valance and valance caps on my 68 project. On the lower half of the valance once you install it there is no way to coat/paint the back side. I'm also brushing it on all the floors in my 68. I intend to install a sound deadener/heat barrier on the floors and firewall so it will all be covered up.

The weld through primer is also an SEM product. Word of caution. I only applied one light coat on the rails. With two coats I had trouble with the welding popping and not laying down very good.

Thank you good sir.
I am gonna look into these options, just getting the next round lined up.
Since Im waiting on that for the trunk, I got some front end prepped today, working my way to the k frame for the torn subframe repair.
Projects:

rebby

Quote from: NHCharger on September 30, 2012, 07:20:37 PM

Another option would  be Eastwood. I get a lot of stuff through them just for the convenience of online ordering and shipping to my door. If you search Google, you can usually find codes for free shipping as well. In fact, I just ordered all of the products mentioned above from them Monday for a few projects that I have in the works.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

SmashingPunkFan

I couldnt find weld thru primer, would self etching primer be ok? Someone told me it was close enough ? Is it?
Projects:

JB400

Quote from: SmashingPunkFan on October 10, 2012, 01:23:39 PM
I couldnt find weld thru primer, would self etching primer be ok? Someone told me it was close enough ? Is it?
Did you check with the welders in your area?

SmashingPunkFan

No. Closest one is about 60 miles away, Ill have to the next time I head that direction.

And Ive heard several different things about what should be sprayed inside the frame rails, what would be anyones best guess as to what should be right on top of bare metal?
Projects:

JB400

I believe most people are using epoxy primer. Just don't spray it on top of the rails where you're going to weld on. 

NHCharger

Quote from: SmashingPunkFan on October 10, 2012, 08:11:26 PM

And Ive heard several different things about what should be sprayed inside the frame rails, what would be anyones best guess as to what should be right on top of bare metal?

You will get several different answers on this. If you don't use the SEM rust inhibitor you can use a good sealer that is made to be applied directly to metal, then paint or some type of undercoating.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

SmashingPunkFan

I got some weld thru primer. Oreillys was my friend in this one
Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

Now Im thinking about just shooting the rails with self etch primer. is that kinda what factory was like?
Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

Took time to make my patch panel for the wheel well. Kinda creepy makin that first cut on the quarter panel
Projects: