News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Taking it apart

Started by SmashingPunkFan, April 30, 2012, 09:53:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmashingPunkFan

Needing some help before I adjust the car too much!!
Ive heard somewhere before that you cannot move the car once you cut the 1/4s off, so Im trying make sure that Ive set it up right.
I have it setup where the jackstands are under the rear axle, and one under each lower control arm.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV.
Projects:
1970 Dodge Charger SE (Main Project)
1973 Dodge Charger 400 cid. (Work in progress)
1988 Mustang 2.3 liter 4 cyl.

Looking for Seat tracks for bucket seats.

Dino

Quote from: SmashingPunkFan on February 12, 2013, 02:19:43 PM
Needing some help before I adjust the car too much!!
Ive heard somewhere before that you cannot move the car once you cut the 1/4s off, so Im trying make sure that Ive set it up right.
I have it setup where the jackstands are under the rear axle, and one under each lower control arm.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)

1/4's are just skin, if it really was part of the support structure it would buckle quite a bit.  Quarters off don't do anything to the car UNLESS everything else rotted away and all that kep the car together was the skin.

If you plan on cutting off more then I suggest you weld a few cross braces in there.  Frame to frame, left to right, high to low.  Now it really won't budge.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

SmashingPunkFan

Ahh ok. Well Ive just heard that alot, and was wondering. I also have the complete trunk pan out right now, Im gonna blast, cover, then maybe remove the 1/4s blast there and then start welding in reverse order.

Btw anybody know how to remove the the little piece of chrome at the back of the rear window? It has some sort of chrome stud in ti :scratchchin:
Projects:

HOTROD

why don`t you brace it all up just in case ! better safe than sorry ???
I have seen some of these guys cut it all off and put it back together !!
What the Hell-Dumass !

SmashingPunkFan

Oh I did. Its jacked under the rear axle and lower control arms. Would those be the correct places to put them?
Projects:

richRTSE

Quote from: SmashingPunkFan on February 17, 2013, 11:29:56 PM

Btw anybody know how to remove the the little piece of chrome at the back of the rear window? It has some sort of chrome stud in it :scratchchin:

there are nuts on the inside of the trunk... those self-cutting, cone-looking things....climb inside there and you'll see them...

FLG

Quote from: SmashingPunkFan on February 19, 2013, 11:18:10 AM
Oh I did. Its jacked under the rear axle and lower control arms. Would those be the correct places to put them?

Yes that is correct. You want the car to be supported as if it was on wheels.