News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much for taping and spraying?

Started by 1BAD68, May 01, 2012, 11:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

Just curious roughly what you would charge if say, you had a paint booth, I brought my 68 Charger all primered and ready to spray base/clear?
You would have to tape and spray but no wet sanding or buffing. Also no door jambs.

Dino

Quote from: 1BAD68 on May 01, 2012, 11:44:44 AM
Just curious roughly what you would charge if say, you had a paint booth, I brought my 68 Charger all primered and ready to spray base/clear?
You would have to tape and spray but no wet sanding or buffing. Also no door jambs.

Me personally?  Cost of products + cost of baking in the booth + $30/hour

I wanted just my prepped bumper and fender on my Honda painted which all in would be about 2 hours, and the lowest quote was $500 so it seems not everyone does it this way....
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

charger_fan_4ever

Some shops won't even spray a primered car. The nicest paint job won't cover sketchy bodywork and will be visible like a soar thumb. Bad publicity for shops as when people ask the guy who painted it he just says the shops name. The owner is not going to say i did the sketchy bodywork myself. Big risk for the shops reputation for the amount of $$ made.

Not sayin thats at all your case.

Dino

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on May 01, 2012, 12:09:22 PM
Some shops won't even spray a primered car. The nicest paint job won't cover sketchy bodywork and will be visible like a soar thumb. Bad publicity for shops as when people ask the guy who painted it he just says the shops name. The owner is not going to say i did the sketchy bodywork myself.

Not sayin thats at all your case.

That's exactly true, I had the same thing happen, they wouldn't touch it and I can't blame them.  I know my work is solid but how is the shop owner supposed to know?

Who was it here that said their shop would do the paint as long as he signed a waiver saying the shop is not responsible if the home prep work fails?  That's an option as well but several shops won't do that either.

Maaco will do it but now you may just as well grab a few spray cans.

hemi-hampton

Best to go to Maaco. Get the Presidential special for $149.95, might be 199.95 now? LEON.

Dino

Quote from: hemi-hampton on May 01, 2012, 02:49:07 PM
Best to go to Maaco. Get the Presidential special for $149.95, might be 199.95 now? LEON.

Presidential special?  You get promised a lot but nothing happens?   :D  :stirthepot:

1BAD68

I was just wondering because I'm really close to paint on my 68 and have to build some sort of booth in my garage.
Anyway, I saw an ad on craigslist basically a guy that looks to have been layed off from a local car dealership and started his own small business doing small collision repair and has a nice booth.
I asked him the same question and he replied $450.00, that's for labor, booth and tape. I would supply the paint.
Thought it sounded fair to me.

charger_fan_4ever

I was going to say $500 and you supply the paint.

jaak

I made this temporary booth in my shop when I painted it. IIRC, I had about 200 bucks in it, worked good.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,78694.0.html

Jason

hemi-hampton

I remember working at one body shop ( 20 years ago) where another painter could not spray single stage, He got tired of repainting his cars 3 times. SO, One time on his 2nd or 3rd attempt he asked me how much to paint it. It was in the booth all taped up & ready to go. I said $50 bucks. less then 2 hours later done. Figured I made $25 a hour which was good at the time. Still is maybe. LEON.

Cooter

Quote from: 1BAD68 on May 01, 2012, 11:44:44 AM

I hear Maaco does 'em for $200.00.....I wouldn't shoot it unless I did the bodywork.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

elitecustombody

Quote from: 1BAD68 on May 01, 2012, 05:02:08 PM
I was just wondering because I'm really close to paint on my 68 and have to build some sort of booth in my garage.
Anyway, I saw an ad on craigslist basically a guy that looks to have been layed off from a local car dealership and started his own small business doing small collision repair and has a nice booth.
I asked him the same question and he replied $450.00, that's for labor, booth and tape. I would supply the paint.
Thought it sounded fair to me.

If he can show you his recent work and you like what you see, $450 is more than fair for a nice quality job.

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

1BAD68

I have no doubt about his ability. He was employed at a local dealership, graduated from the local tech school with a degree in "auto collision repair and refinish, is ASE Certified in painting and refinishing, has customer references, insurance, etc.
Thinking about building a booth and dealing with setting up fans and filter's just right, hoping no dust get's in and don't have any trouble with the paint and clear and on and on. I think I'd rather have a pro spray it if possible.

AirborneSilva

Quote from: Dino on May 01, 2012, 02:50:30 PM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on May 01, 2012, 02:49:07 PM

Presidential special?  You get promised a lot but nothing happens?   :D  :stirthepot:

:smilielol: