News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

od 833 swap question

Started by 1968_Charger, May 06, 2012, 06:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1968_Charger

Im looking at swapping an od 833 into my 68 charger. I have a a body aluminum trans. Can the tailshaft be swapped with a regular b body tailshaft so that it will bolt into my my charger?

Chryco Psycho

Could be done to change the mount position , the easier way would be to use the Auto crossmember & just bolt it up
Mis read it A body part , definatly will not fit .

Rolling_Thunder

uhhhh    negative...   

the A body transmission main shaft is shorter than the B/E body style....   You can not just bolt on the B/E tail shaft onto an A body transmission. You would need the main shaft as well, disassemble the trans, swap all the gears from the short shaft to the longer shaft - than you can use the B/E body tail shaft. 

I would recommend finding a long tail shaft transmission - less hassle -

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Cooter

Late Model Dodge pick up.....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1968_Charger

ok. what about swapping the overdrive gear with one in a regular 4 speed? can that be done fairly easy? id really like that overdrive gear. i have a 833 and the od 833 to work with so can it be done or should i try to find the regular od 833 with the longer shaft?

Rolling_Thunder

If you're confident on rebuilding a 4-speed yourself you can swap all the guts from the OD to the regular 833 transmission....     but you can probably score a OD transmission for fairly cheap. I have three in my shed  -  the biggest deal is usually shipping
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Cooter

Quote from: 1968_Charger on May 06, 2012, 10:40:10 PM
ok. what about swapping the overdrive gear with one in a regular 4 speed? can that be done fairly easy? id really like that overdrive gear. i have a 833 and the od 833 to work with so can it be done or should i try to find the regular od 833 with the longer shaft?

lemme see if I can help clear things up a bit here...No, you cannot swap just the OD gear, No you cannot just swap in the longer tailshift without a bunch of BS....

You need to find the long tailshaft trans. Remember though, in OD, you are actually driving round in THIRD gear.....

Running the cluster gear in OD at highway speed. Not good on the bearings. MOST of these trannies used will require rebuilding due to many miles on them.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1968_Charger

ok thanks. ill try and find one then.

Chryco Psycho

the late 70s & 80 dodge vans & trucks have the long tailshaft trans in them , the earliest years are the best ones to get .
I modified my first post , I missed the A body part of the description  :brickwall: