News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Market that low? Come on,,,,

Started by hemi68charger, May 06, 2012, 09:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

472 R/T SE

Well my wife doesn't have to ask what my 1st purchase would be if we won Powerball.  On our way back to the NW, we'd have to stop back home in Hays, Ks. & I'd have to pick up my other winged thing, Junemann's '70.

hemi68charger

Quote from: ksquared on May 15, 2012, 09:58:24 PM

So, as somebody who does more reading here than posting, I hope that it is understood that this is more only my suggestions attempting to be helpful.

Wow... That was a lot.. You definitely caught up with your posting-to-reading ratio..... I get a lot of your points, some I don't. I purposely made my ad to be "down-to-Earth" and not look like the flamboyant ads of RKMotors or others of the "over-the-top" storefronts. Even the good and/or flamboyant ads for Daytonas take a long time to sell, if sold at all. People who are into the Aero cars and who are willing to put down the money have done their research and typically know the history of these cars. For me, one of those who socialize and know many in the AeroWorld, think such banter is just that, banter. I personally don't feel the word "fun" is misused or misrepresented. There are VERY few people out there who have the greenbacks to slap on the table, so it is going to take a while for the right person to come by and buy it (if it indeed ever does happen). Yes, I would like to sell the Daytona for one sole purpose, to get the other one.... I have the car advertised in other areas (the two main national aero clubs). The main purpose of the ad, other than to sell it, is to garner exposure. I mean, if the likes of Ray Evernham was looking to buy my Daytona, then I must be doing something right (just because I'm doing something right, doesn't guarantee success). This was a case of bad timing. Ray eventually bought John's F6. If John's car wasn't on the market, then mine would have sold. But, that's history and I press forward. Also, unlike most ads, I have put videos of the car, to show it actually goes down the road. In my 35 years of messing with these things, I have seem countless times that a beautifully restored car that's been sitting forever often falls on its face (case of use it or lose it). Also, I made sure to highlight the photoshoot for Motor Trend Classic. Motor Trend isn't some fly-by-night publication. They have standards and my car met those. Now, regarding the value, I think it's there. But, that's me speaking on my car. Also,  we all spend maintenance money on these cars, so that's a wash. Being that I'm the one who spent the money on all my past cars and knows the transactions of my mopar-life, I'm the one who's pretty knowledgeable on what I have invested. Nowhere do I make reference to the actual investment dollar I have in the Daytona (and C500), so what's the point in your last statement. Oh, and yes, my ad isn't anything like what Geno may do for his Daytona. I wouldn't even want to try to compare my car, or ad, to that of which Geno could write. His Daytona is in a league all its own...

Long story short.. I personally don't believe if I shift directions on my ad it would make a difference. Yes, I could and would change it up a bit. Maybe one day I'll have a lot of time on my hands and take more pictures. I have had plenty of interest on the car. But, with the market as it is, people are reluctant to pay what I'm asking, period. I get it all the time. I'm constantly getting people who tell me my price isn't reflective to the market.. Ok......... I know that........ I follow Mopar-current events...... But, I'm asking what I'm asking for a reason.

Thanks k-to-the-2nd-power...... I appreciate and respect your point of view. Some right on, some off target for my personal situation.......  The topic of the thread was my disbelief that the market has changed so much.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

ksquared

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 16, 2012, 06:55:53 AM
Nowhere do I make reference to the actual investment dollar I have in the Daytona (and C500), so what's the point in your last statement.

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 08, 2012, 10:07:01 PM

Oh well...... I don't have any problem keep pushing forward.......... The manner in which I've done things thus far has proved to be quite fruitful for me........ My gut hasn't let me down yet.. Not too many people can say they have a Daytona and C500 with less than $50K invested...

I have absolutely NOTHING to loose, soooo, why not? I'm just surprised at the market, that's all..........

I thought I remembered somewhere it being mentioned.  I just remember numbers.  :icon_smile_big:

But I was also somewhat hoping to point out with a bit of encouragement that the market price for the Daytona is definitely not "that bad" as what eBay people hope to get it for.  And as I said too, my guesstimate may be low too because it is based only on eBay.

hemi68charger

Quote from: ksquared on May 16, 2012, 10:23:46 AM
Quote from: hemi68charger on May 16, 2012, 06:55:53 AM
Nowhere do I make reference to the actual investment dollar I have in the Daytona (and C500), so what's the point in your last statement.

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 08, 2012, 10:07:01 PM

Oh well...... I don't have any problem keep pushing forward.......... The manner in which I've done things thus far has proved to be quite fruitful for me........ My gut hasn't let me down yet.. Not too many people can say they have a Daytona and C500 with less than $50K invested...

I have absolutely NOTHING to loose, soooo, why not? I'm just surprised at the market, that's all..........

I thought I remembered somewhere it being mentioned.  I just remember numbers.  :icon_smile_big:

But I was also somewhat hoping to point out with a bit of encouragement that the market price for the Daytona is definitely not "that bad" as what eBay people hope to get it for.  And as I said too, my guesstimate may be low too because it is based only on eBay.

Yeap, you're not going crazy.. I did mention my "investment" over the span of my lifetime towards the eventual outcome of what I have now, the Daytona and C500. But, it wasn't in any of my ads, ebay or newsletters... It was here on the board..

The ebay ads are just a venue for the exposure factor. I don't have a bunch of money to put it in an auction, list it with expensive brokers, etc.  Any broker looking for a car for a client would at the very least just check out ebay. Of course, ebay's not their only resource. I don't use ebay as a calibration tool for market value...

:2thumbs:
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Mytur Binsdirti

I may be a new guy here, but I've been watching the market on Hemi cars & wing cars pretty carefully for a couple of years now. I've seen couple of basket cases sold for the 70-90K range, and a couple of drivers (10-footers) have come up at the Mecum auctions, but it seems that driver quality cars and fully restored cars are just not moving, mainly due to unrealistic asking prices. For instance, this car is advertised for $235,000.00......

http://www.cars-on-line.com/41800.html   

And this one is advertised for $375,000.00........

http://www.cars-on-line.com/31300.html

With all due respect to the above owners, there is absolutely no way that those cars are worth anywhere near their advertised price, no matter how many awards they have on the shelf. I would dare say that the asking price is a complete turn-off once someone clicks on the ad and sees the price.

The only restored car that I know of that has sold recently is this car, which was advertised for quite some time at $179.000.....

http://www.cars-on-line.com/52177.html

Looks like a nice clean car with a striking color, 4-speed, matching numbers and is advertised as having mostly all original sheet metal; all of which are big pluses. I may be wrong, but the word on the street is that this car sold for $150,000.00, which is quite a reduction from the asking price. So, has this car set the benchmark for a restored 440 car? If so, then one simply has to figure the cost of a total rotisserie restoration, subtract the value of the negatives (ie non-matching numbers, boatloads of inferior repro parts, and anything else that is non-factory) and then you'll have the car's true worth.

I'm not trying to cause trouble, rather this is my 2 cents worth of opinion.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on May 17, 2012, 07:12:41 AM

http://www.cars-on-line.com/52177.html

Looks like a nice clean car with a striking color, 4-speed, matching numbers and is advertised as having mostly all original sheet metal; all of which are big pluses. I may be wrong, but the word on the street is that this car sold for $150,000.00, which is quite a reduction from the asking price. So, has this car set the benchmark for a restored 440 car? If so, then one simply has to figure the cost of a total rotisserie restoration, subtract the value of the negatives (ie non-matching numbers, boatloads of inferior repro parts, and anything else that is non-factory) and then you'll have the car's true worth.

I'm not trying to cause trouble, rather this is my 2 cents worth of opinion.
Well spoken Mytur. (very unique name there by the way)
That is John's car and it doesn't have the original motor. Ray Evernham bought that car. Ray was going to buy this one or mine and he bought John's (Smart man, I love John's car). I spoke to John but didn't ask him what he sold it for, wasn't my place to ask and felt sort of uncomfortable asking. Even if it sold for $150K, that's one less quality Daytona available. Daytona's are like gas prices where one station sees their neighbor lower their price and thus, feels compelled to follow along. I say to the people who are looking to buy a Daytona, find another one at his asking price, its condition and buy it (Rumor is, there won't be many, if any, to choose from).
Troy

petercharger

You know these cars should be seen as an enjoyment...every investment has their risks..both ups and downs...I remember back in early 80's looking at two super birds for 2500 and at that time seemed like a lot of money for a car with a wing and nose.   I  never looked at them as investments..the thought that cars like these would cost as much as a home never crossed our minds.   My dad looked at these cars as something different to play with until he wanted something different....never as investments.   And for he passed on both because they were too different... :rofl: :brickwall:
best way to get a hold of me is brushcollege@msn.com...thanks

hotrod98

Don't forget about the wealthy buyers from the east and the middle east. Occasionally, they will throw the money at a car simply because they want it. A friend of mine posted an ad somewhere a few years ago for a 70 Challenger that was a 318 car that had been converted to a 440 six pack, 4 speed car and had poorly painted on T/A stripes. Someone in Japan paid him top dollar for that car. At least twice what it was worth in my opinion.

Recently, I've been contacted by a buyer that is interested in buying and shipping cars to Lebanon. They want clean cars that need minimal work to make above average drivers and they're paying decent money. The 69 runner that we sold at Mecum recently was shipped overseas.

I think that there are more musclecars going overseas than we realize. If these guys offered me twice what my bird is worth then I would have to say...goodbye birdie. I could build my new cabin on the lake for that kind of money.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

paironines

I for one dislike when an ebay seller trys to set the mood by starting in with things like "The year was 1968 and.......", so kudos to you for leaving the history out. The ad was fine, 86k was a fluke. Nothing more.

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on May 18, 2012, 11:27:06 AM
Don't forget about the wealthy buyers from the east and the middle east. Occasionally, they will throw the money at a car simply because they want it. A friend of mine posted an ad somewhere a few years ago for a 70 Challenger that was a 318 car that had been converted to a 440 six pack, 4 speed car and had poorly painted on T/A stripes. Someone in Japan paid him top dollar for that car. At least twice what it was worth in my opinion.

Recently, I've been contacted by a buyer that is interested in buying and shipping cars to Lebanon. They want clean cars that need minimal work to make above average drivers and they're paying decent money. The 69 runner that we sold at Mecum recently was shipped overseas.

I think that there are more musclecars going overseas than we realize. If these guys offered me twice what my bird is worth then I would have to say...goodbye birdie. I could build my new cabin on the lake for that kind of money.
larry please sell my 69 road runner for me
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hotrod98

Quote from: paironines on May 18, 2012, 01:26:24 PM
I for one dislike when an ebay seller trys to set the mood by starting in with things like "The year was 1968 and.......", so kudos to you for leaving the history out. The ad was fine, 86k was a fluke. Nothing more.

I hate that. All of my ads start with:  "It was a dark and stormy night........."

Charles Addams

petercharger

Maybe start out an ad like this....

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"
then:

"Episode XII: A New Hope"

It is a period of sellers unrest. Rebel Buyers, striking from  a
hidden NADA base, have won their first victory against the Winged empire.
During the battle, Rebel spies managed to steal secret plans to the
Empire's ultimate weapon, the Dodge Daytona with enough Hemi power to destroy an entire planet.
Pursued by the Empire's sinister agents, Princess Leia races home
aboard her Superbird, custodian  of the stolen plans that can save her
people and restore value ...and prices of those wingers in the near future.  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

hemi68charger

Quote from: petercharger on May 20, 2012, 10:45:31 PM

Maybe start out an ad like this....

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"
then:

I like it !!!!!   :2thumbs:
Troy

472 R/T SE

Quote from: hotrod98 on May 18, 2012, 11:27:06 AM

Yep, that's where our 'cuda went, Qatar.  He emailed right after the auction & offered $28k.  I told him no & that I needed to sell it for what I had spent on it.  He emailed back right away & said he needed my phone number so he could transfer the money to me.

Almost made me wish I would have asked even more.   :slap:

About 10 years ago my '70 Bee went to Austraila.
In '05 I sold my Harley to a collector in Japan. 

68 Bullitt Charger

Just sold my 67 GTX HEMI, 100%, survivor, 40K orig doc mile's for $50K!!  That is 35K off or even more than the value a few year's back. I feel your pain on that Daytona. Troy is your Daytona 100% number's matching? That's such a beautiful Car!
Some of the Mopar Ride's in Stable.....
58 Pymouth Fury "Christine"
65 Ply Satellite 9.43@141 mph
58 Ply Fury "Christine"
64 40th anniv 880 Custom 383 Pwr Everything!

I'd rather be hated for the person I am, than be loved for the person I am not!!!!!!

A383Wing

Quote from: hotrod98 on May 19, 2012, 01:03:11 PM

I hate that. All of my ads start with:  "It was a dark and stormy night........."

visions of you typing that sitting on top of yer dog house

Bryan
  :D

62BT409

Ebay is not the place to sell anything, especially a vehicle.BUT IT IS THE BEST form of advertisement you can find for the price. What I have seen is less than 10% of the cars sell on Ebay.....the others just use it for advertising. Just my $.02 worth.

Robert96

I think a no reserve would probably be the way to move it on E-bay. It is a gamble though. And last of all the economy is just rotten. Most of us can only dream of winged cars. There's a very limited amount of customers for a car like that. That being said, it only takes one person and......... BINGO! You just never know.

petercharger

Are u kidding a no reserve auction would be very foolish... :eek2:

Robert96

I said it would be a gamble!!!!

hotrod98

It's already been on ebay a few times and has never met reserve. How would it be different if there were no reserve? I don't get it.  :shruggy:

Charles Addams

hemi68charger

Quote from: Robert96 on May 30, 2012, 08:28:17 PM
I think a no reserve would probably be the way to move it on E-bay. It is a gamble though. And last of all the economy is just rotten. Most of us can only dream of winged cars. There's a very limited amount of customers for a car like that. That being said, it only takes one person and......... BINGO! You just never know.

I do know one thing, I'll never put it on without a reserve.... Thanks for thinking out of the box, but.... I'm not willing to take that chance.
Troy

Robert96

O.K. I had a friend who sold alot of special interest cars on Ebay. He often put the high value cars on without a reserve. I said your crazy! He told me that almost everytime people would start bidding against each other on the last day and run the value up like crazy and they did. But.... that was about 10 years ago and the economy was in a hell of a lot better shape back then. The Superbirds are a hell of a lot more expensive to begin with and the economy is really bad now, so I will shut my big mouth. Your correct, it would be crazy now!!!