News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hooking up a Tic-Toc Tach (to a car that didn't orignally have it)

Started by hatersaurusrex, April 24, 2012, 11:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hatersaurusrex

I have an opportunity to buy a dash cluster that includes a Tic-Toc-Tach in it and my car didn't come with it, just the clock.  (68 383/727)

Is there a special (separate) harness or jumper I'll need to make/buy for this or is the wiring already there and I can just jump it to my distro/coil?   Trying to figure it out in advance before I purchase.

Thanks in advance!!
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

There is a special harness with the firewall gromet but it's not necessary. I bought mine from Evans which came with the correct wire colors and connectors.

hatersaurusrex

This will be from a 68 car that is sitting, it's an original MoPar piece.

hatersaurusrex

So thanks for the help, but I think my question is only partially answered, or I didn't ask it properly:

If I buy the tach or entire cluster from the donor car which has the tic-toc, and all I have on my car is the factory harness for just a regular old clock, what else do I need to get the tic-toc running?

Hooking up most aftermarket tachs is a snap but this is a bit different.  Anyone done this that can chime in?

Funny how some things don't get answered for days and other things go like gang busters.

I don't have an OEM tach so I can't say for sure. Mine originally only had a clock like yours, which I replaced with a charger specialties tic-toc-tach and a tach harness from Evans wiring. Give him a ring and order the correct one. The harness I got only has two wires. The original clock connection plugs straight into the tic-toc-tach clock plug (white). The two wire tach harness has one wire (blue) which draws power from a keyed 12v power source (I chose radio spade on fuse box) and a (gray) wire which connects to coil negative.

The hardest part was drilling the hole in the firewall for the gromet (it's quite a large hole). There is a dimple where the hole needs to be drilled so you can't really mess it up.

Surely someone else will chime in that has replaced a clock with an OEM tic-toc-tach.

Bob T

Type the Q. into the search tab, likely someone will have done it and possibly drawings too..

Diagrams here also

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=24
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

hatersaurusrex

Awesome, thanks for the help.    Drilling a hole should be a breeze to do while the dash is off the car for paint/body and I'll call Evans to see if I can get the coil lead wire.

No problems.

When you order the tach harness from Evans just tell him it's for an original tach, and that your convering an original clock car just to cover all bases incase something is different.

Yeah, having the dash out makes it much easier as I think it's a 7/8" hole. Try fitting a drill under the dash or in the engine bay trying to do it.

Let us know how you go.

bill440rt

Just an FYI, but if you have an MSD or other electronic ignition you might also need an MSD tach adapter to be compatible with the tic toc tach.  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Charger RT

I added a factory tac and did not get the second harness. I just tapped a keyed fuse at the fuse box for the power for the tac and got some black wire and fished the wire through an unused hole in the bulkhead connector. I run it along the underside of the harness and taped it to the harness every 8 inches or so to keep it hidden.
Tim

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: bill440rt on April 26, 2012, 02:50:51 PM
Just an FYI, but if you have an MSD or other electronic ignition you might also need an MSD tach adapter to be compatible with the tic toc tach.  :2thumbs:

Ahh thanks for the heads up, there's not an MSD in the car now but there will be before I put it on the street.