News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best body fillers?

Started by b5blue, May 10, 2012, 05:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

Gotta buy some, what do you like and why?  :scratchchin:

Silver R/T

I like rage gold. Spreads nice, doesn't shrink, sands smooth.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bill440rt

Rage Gold. Followed by Evercoat Polyester glazing filler. Done.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Joshua

U-Pol Flyweight gold.....spreads just as nice as Rage (better IMO), sand good, buttery smooth and is 1/2 the price as Rage....

b5blue

DC_1

Rage for me.......sands well and has minimal to no pin holes

jesterCT

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

elitecustombody

PPG. Oh wait, wrong thread :lol:

You can't go wrong with any of Evercoat fillers, Extreme is nice for skimming ,but can be a little runny

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

b5blue

MoPower

Quote from: b5blue on May 11, 2012, 03:55:15 PM
Just got some! THANKS!  :2thumbs:

what  about Evercoat Z-grip? anybody have bad experiences with it?

elitecustombody

Quote from: MoPower on May 14, 2012, 09:15:46 AM
Quote from: b5blue on May 11, 2012, 03:55:15 PM
Just got some! THANKS!  :2thumbs:

what  about Evercoat Z-grip? anybody have bad experiences with it?

It's very good filler,been using Evercoat products for many years and will pick Evercoat over Dynatron any day. Z-grip is good,I use it all the time.

Stefan

b5blue

I used Z Grip on my Jeep. Worked good but went stale in the can after a year of sitting around. That's why I inquired here. I got Rage and it's working nice.  :2thumbs:

elitecustombody

I believe any any filler will have lumps and just won't be very workable after sitting a year on a shelf. Some materials have shorter shelf life

Stefan

b5blue

I always buy from auto body supply shops after getting new old stock from Advance Auto.  That stuff sits there for years!  :lol: The guys said Z Grip and Rage are the best sellers.

MoPower

As far as I know, Z-grip has 2 things about it that work extra nice than anything I've ever tried : 1) it sticks to aluminum, 2) it's easy to sand/scuplt before it totally sets up without clogging the 40 grit sandpaper..Bizarre but it works.

superbirdtom

Believe it or not  Napa tec 1 extreme.  better than any gold green or whatever filler.  It is like elite says a little runny.  but it sands and sticks sooo nice.  Ive used all the rage and evercoat . and this is the one of few things NAPA got right.   no need for any icing or such . virtually pinhole free.

but like eveything  you have to try it.

elitecustombody

Tom, How much is that NAPA stuff?

Stefan

superbirdtom

Ill have to check get back to ya

jaak

Quote from: superbirdtom on May 16, 2012, 10:04:48 AM
Believe it or not  Napa tec 1 extreme.  better than any gold green or whatever filler.  It is like elite says a little runny.  but it sands and sticks sooo nice.  Ive used all the rage and evercoat . and this is the one of few things NAPA got right.   no need for any icing or such . virtually pinhole free.

You are not the only one I have heard talk highly about this filler, I have never tried it though.
I always use the old regular 'Evercoat' lightweight body filler.

Jason

Silver R/T

If you know how to mix your body filler without "whipping" it you'll rarely get any pinholes.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

superbirdtom

I roll my filer and hardner in a circle 8  without lifting my spreader off the mixing surface. it rolls it into a ball, and the way it churns causes it to mix the fastest. your half correct  as its a combination of mixing technique and the material itself.

superbirdtom

Quote from: jaak on May 16, 2012, 09:48:32 PM
Quote from: superbirdtom on May 16, 2012, 10:04:48 AM

You are not the only one I have heard talk highly about this filler, I have never tried it though.
I always use the old regular 'Evercoat' lightweight body filler.

Jason

I find that the tec 1 NAPA filler does not clog your paper ,Ive tried all the rage products. i had raved about rage grey filler then they came out with rage gold  and in my opinion it was a worse product.  I was a rage man until NAPA gave me a gallon to try and I saw an immediate difference all the way around.  Im very happy with it. 

superbirdtom

Quote from: elitecustombody on May 16, 2012, 12:53:15 PM
Tom, How much is that NAPA stuff?

its expensive   $50.93 per gallon   .  but consider sandpaper that dosen't clog plus time saved on pinholes etc  plus  no need for icing .    If we get some beater in there from time to time we use cheapo stuff for the bulk then  finish off with the tec supreme.  I wonder if were gettin ripped . as to what a NAPA store on other states is charging. 

b5blue

Call my NAPA supplier down here, 727-539-6272.  :scratchchin:

superbirdtom

Kern Dog

NOBODY likes Bondo?
What am I missing? I've been using Bondo since day one and never tried anything else. Maybe someone can tell me what advantages there are with the other brands?

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

elitecustombody

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on June 01, 2012, 01:19:38 AM
NOBODY likes Bondo?
What am I missing? I've been using Bondo since day one and never tried anything else. Maybe someone can tell me what advantages there are with the other brands?

Advantages are pretty clear.No tacky film,much easier to sand, no pinholes,far better adhesion, feathers much better to name a few.It's like comparing old lacquer paint to much better urethane paint   

Stefan

b5blue

I'm getting ready to try Evercoat's Quantum 1 body filler and Maxim panel adhesive both in caulk gun tubes. It is true Evercoat fillers, even the cheaper one, work very nice. I'm trying "Metal to Metal" also on some areas needing extra durability.  :scratchchin: I still have friends that use nothing but Bondo and like it just fine!  :2thumbs:

elitecustombody

I'd have a backup plan for that Maxim stuff. I've attempted to use this stuff twice, but the material started to set up ,it works great when the tube is fresh from the factory, but if it sat on shelf for few months, forget about it 

Stefan

b5blue

Used it yesterday, works nice.  :2thumbs: (We'll see how it holds up.)

elitecustombody

It will hold up just fine, it's just that for some reason they had a problem dispensing when I used it about 2 years ago. But they probably have fixed that by now

Stefan