News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carrol Shelby

Started by 1966hemi, May 11, 2012, 05:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1966hemi

Carrol Shelby passed away at the age of 89, today, Thurday, May 11, 2012. I don't need to remind anyone of what he meant to the automotive world. I was very truly sad when I heard the news today. He was also one of the longest lived heart transplant recipients in the USA at 22 years with a new lease on his life. I will miss him, but his works and generosity will remain with us all forever. He was larger than life. Condolences to his family and many friends and fans. Theres' a great racing mechanic, designer and builder entering heaven, but above all he was a great humanist. Godspeed, Carrol.  :(

Fred

another one gone.  RIP

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

PtitRaisin

Quentin

hemi68charger

RIP Carrol...........  :engel016:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Cooter

Well, as with taxes, it was bound to happen sooner or later. At 89, I think he lived a very full life. Just sucks by the time you gain the respect and admiration you deserve, your too old to appreciate it for very long. RIP Smokey yunick, Carroll Shelby, etc...May they keep heaven's speed shop open all night, where the lights are just turning green.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

benny70hemibird

I remember back around 2001, I think that it was, we went out to Nevada from here in Kentucky on vacation. We went out to the speedway to check that out and happened upon Mr. Shelby's car manufacturing facility and museum/showroom. It was past closing and I was peering in through the window when all of a sudden the door flew open and one of Mr. Shelby's young lady's asked me, very nicely, what I needed. I told her that I was just in awe of being this close to this hallowed place and wanted to peek inside. She said " you can't see anything through that glass, can you? You guy's get in here right this minute! She proceeded to let us look at every car that he had ever built as they were all sitting right there. She told us to check out the manufacturing complex and even let us go in his office (he was in California at a show she told us) I could not have been treated more kindly and I told her so. She told us to look as long as we wanted to. It was a great, humbling experience for me and I'll never forget how nice these folk's were to us. God speed, sir.

1966hemi

Thats' a very heart-warming story! High quality people have a way of showing their caliber, you just re-inforced my belief in the human race with your comments!

Budnicks

Rest In Peace & Gods Speed Carroll Shelby, my deepest condolences go out to his family, friends & employees... I know the 67 Elenore GT500 is a Unique Shelby,it's in the resitry, but I like it... my other photos I can't seem to load...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Budnicks

Heres 1 of the Mopar Direct Connection adverts. with Carroll Shelby
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

stripedelete

Quote from: benny70hemibird on May 12, 2012, 03:02:24 PM
I remember back around 2001, I think that it was, we went out to Nevada from here in Kentucky on vacation. We went out to the speedway to check that out and happened upon Mr. Shelby's car manufacturing facility and museum/showroom. It was past closing and I was peering in through the window when all of a sudden the door flew open and one of Mr. Shelby's young lady's asked me, very nicely, what I needed. I told her that I was just in awe of being this close to this hallowed place and wanted to peek inside. She said " you can't see anything through that glass, can you? You guy's get in here right this minute! She proceeded to let us look at every car that he had ever built as they were all sitting right there. She told us to check out the manufacturing complex and even let us go in his office (he was in California at a show she told us) I could not have been treated more kindly and I told her so. She told us to look as long as we wanted to. It was a great, humbling experience for me and I'll never forget how nice these folk's were to us. God speed, sir.

Good story. Thanks for sharing.  I had a friend who got the same treatment at Graceland in the early 60's.  You just never know.

1966hemi

Budnicks, that [icture in the old DC catalogue, I remember it well! I probably have it somewhere...cool!

XS29J8

Race in Peace Carrol! God Speed.........
HEMI 68 CHARGER R/T- 4-SPEED- 3.54 DANA- PP1 RED- BLACK VINYL TOP- PEARL WHITE UPHOLSTERY-STRIPE DELETE- AM 8 TRACK- NON CONSOLE- DRIVEN YEAR ROUND IN SOUTHWEST FLORIDA http://900z1.multiply.com/  http://kawasaki-z-classik.com/index.php  https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmY22PaMZ1H3dFczVWR2ZlJaX1BvTDFIVUdUZVlseWc&hl=en&authkey=CPi1hp8J#gid=0

dreamcatcher

A true ICON for sure.After he got the heart transplant the told him he might make 65 so I guess he did alright.RIP Carrol  :angel:
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

68 Bullitt Charger

Another real ICON has passed and never can be replaced. God Bless Carroll S!
Some of the Mopar Ride's in Stable.....
58 Pymouth Fury "Christine"
65 Ply Satellite 9.43@141 mph
58 Ply Fury "Christine"
64 40th anniv 880 Custom 383 Pwr Everything!

I'd rather be hated for the person I am, than be loved for the person I am not!!!!!!