News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Was there such a thing as a "Vinyl Top Delete" option on 69 SE?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, May 12, 2012, 12:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Saw a Charger advertised as "all original" however, in the pic, it had vinyl top moldings, but no vinyl top  :scratchchin:

I had some other guy once tell me his R/T SE was a vinyl top delete car, but he did not have moldings on his. What's the real deal on this subject?

Here's the ad:

QuotePer the Chrysler Registry, this Charger was special ordered by the original owner with every option possible except the "RT" option. The transmission has a Hemi high stall converter which was an option not listed anywhere in the extensive paperwork accompanying this very special example. This option was discovered when the transmission was serviced. The original owner, Mr. Gary Jenkins of Zanesville, Ohio, kept the car for 21 years and sold it in 1990 to Gene and Helen Hawkins in Brinkhaven, Ohio who kept it for ten years. The current titled owner, Jeff Egger, acquired the car in 2005 and it has been in a private collection since that time. The mileage is documented as actual on title papers thru 1997; however, the current Texas title is marked "EXEMPT" due to age. This rare beauty is 100% original and words cannot describe how well it drives and handles. Nothing beats a three owner, very well cared for automobile. Cosmetically and mechanically everything is truly exceptional. Important accessories include factory air conditioning, cruise control, power windows, power steering, power brakes, Ralley dash with "TIC-TOCK" tachometer and much more. This is a numbers matching true muscle car. The color paint scheme is rare because it is solid red being ordered with "vinyl roof delete" per the data plate code. Build sheet and all decoding and verification by Galen Govier are included with purchase.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on May 12, 2012, 12:21:27 PM
Saw a Charger advertised as "all original" however, in the pic, it had vinyl top moldings, but no vinyl top  :scratchchin:

I had some other guy once tell me his R/T SE was a vinyl top delete car, but he did not have moldings on his. What's the real deal on this subject?

You can't delete something that wasn't standard. Stand alone options such as vinyl tops, radios, etc were optional and therefore not something that can be deleted.

Stripes, like on an R/T, were standard and therefore could be deleted. In that case you got an emblem or something similar. Heaters became a standard option at one point and could be deleted for a credit.

Could you delete a vinyl top out of a package that had the top as part of the package? Possibly, but you'd better have dealer paperwork to back up the claim as there is no code for 'vinyl top delete'. I also don't know how, or if, you would change the package price.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Thanks - I agree with that... The vinyl top, I thought,  was a part of the SE package in 69    :scratchchin:

Also, wheels are not correct for 1969 - and what is this "Hemi converter" :shruggy:

What am I missing?

69CoronetRT

Thanks.

Are you sure the vinyl top was part of the A47 SE package? Are you thinking White hat special?

I wonder if the seller thinks the "X" in V1X means 'delete'?

Let's say you could 'delete' a vinyl top from a package. Why would the factory still take the time and spend the money to put the moldings on? There would be no reason to. If you even could detele the top, I would think that code V08 would be more appropriate.

The hemi torque converter was different but certainly not an 'option'.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

For some reason, I thought SE cars all had vinyl tops. Maybe its just the ones I have seen, but thought it was part of the group.

Either way, why the moldings on that car?  :shruggy:

471_Magnum

No. Vinyl top was NOT part of the '69 SE package. Just a (very popular) stand alone option.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."