News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is it OK for me to ask about specific businesses for autobody restoration?

Started by XH29N0G, May 14, 2012, 08:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

I am shopping for a place to restore the body and paint on my 1970 charger and have identified a place for the body work that I believe is good.  I am writing to ask whether it is appropriate to ask for other people's experiences or reccommendations.  I am in the Maryland area.

I am not looking for a show car, but I want the work done correctly.  The car is of sentimental value (the car is from my childhood - bought in 1970), and I would like it to last.  I did one car with my second cousins when I was 15 in 1980 which taught me that it matters how things are done.  I don't have the time, skill or space  to do this another way(the car doors will not open in the grage of my 1952 house).

Thanks,

James

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Indygenerallee

Autobody shops are usually in it for the Insurance work and work on "extra" stuff when they are not busy = TAKES FOREVER!!!  Do ask for plenty of refrences!!!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

superbirdtom

only go to a shop that does restorations for a living.  and that specializes in mopars.

Cooter

I do this type thing on the side for people who cannot get bodyshops to do it. While this is all good and well, You state you'd like the Body/paint job to last.....

This is all dependant on how well YOU take care of it. I actually had one customer ask me if I guaranteed my work NOT TO RUST...I simply replied, "Did the factory"?

ALL bodywork WILL not last spending most of it's time as a daily driver, sitting in the sun for years on end, and NEVER being waxed like most cars are today.
It didn't the first 30 years and it won't the next 30 either.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

XH29N0G

Thanks for the responses. 

I think I have found someone and will meet with him in the next few weeks.  I have some references and will continue to look for more.

Some quick thoughts so you won't think I am a complete nutcase about wanting it done right OR wanting it to last.  What I should have said was to make sure that I knew that it matteres that the materials and workmanship are good. 

Thanks again.  This is helps me crystallize my thinking.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....